posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Default Atlantic ICW Obstruction Found and Removed - Ship Refloated

The obstruction which holed the small cruise ship "Spirit of
Nantucket" has been removed. It was apparently old steel bulkheading
which had fallen from a barge. The AICW has been closed to all
commercial traffic, and other boats drawing more than 6 feet, since
last Thursday.

http://content.hamptonroads.com/stor...710&ran=134786
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

"Wayne.B" wrote
It was apparently old steel bulkheading
which had fallen from a barge.

Should we expect some tow pilot somewhere to 'fess up?

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

"Ernest Scribbler" wrote in message
news
"Wayne.B" wrote
It was apparently old steel bulkheading
which had fallen from a barge.

Should we expect some tow pilot somewhere to 'fess up?

It isn't like there are not that many places such a bulkhead could come
from.

When they find them, pull his license. It isn't so bad that it fell off,
but leaving it unmarked.... not a seaworthy captain. And if he told his
company, and they didn't react. Pull their licenses too.

"Canuck57" wrote
It isn't like there are not that many places such a bulkhead could come
from.

What kind of tows do they operate in that part of the ICW? (When I hear
"barge" I picture something like this:
http://home.comcast.net/~blizzard3/b...g20/barges.jpg)

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 17:33:44 GMT, "Canuck57"
wrote:

"Ernest Scribbler" wrote in message
news
"Wayne.B" wrote
It was apparently old steel bulkheading
which had fallen from a barge.

Should we expect some tow pilot somewhere to 'fess up?

It isn't like there are not that many places such a bulkhead could come
from.

When they find them, pull his license. It isn't so bad that it fell off,
but leaving it unmarked.... not a seaworthy captain. And if he told his
company, and they didn't react. Pull their licenses too.

There must be some suspects I'd think. The guys who man the lock at
Great Bridge, VA just north of there get a pretty good look at
everything going through that part of the ICW. They may even keep
records of the commercial traffic since there is not a lot of it.
There are also some lift bridge tenders in that area.

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 12:42:28 -0500, "Ernest Scribbler"
wrote:

"Canuck57" wrote
It isn't like there are not that many places such a bulkhead could come
from.

What kind of tows do they operate in that part of the ICW? (When I hear
"barge" I picture something like this:
http://home.comcast.net/~blizzard3/b...g20/barges.jpg)

Not that big fortunately. The channel is less than 200 ft wide in
some places, the lock even less. Typically there will be a tug
pushing one or two good sized barges end-to-end (as opposed to two
across).

On Nov 11, 4:09 pm, Wayne.B wrote:
On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 12:42:28 -0500, "Ernest Scribbler"

wrote:
"Canuck57" wrote
It isn't like there are not that many places such a bulkhead could come
from.

What kind of tows do they operate in that part of the ICW? (When I hear
"barge" I picture something like this:
http://home.comcast.net/~blizzard3/b...g20/barges.jpg)

Not that big fortunately. The channel is less than 200 ft wide in
some places, the lock even less. Typically there will be a tug
pushing one or two good sized barges end-to-end (as opposed to two
across).

Agree with Wayne, in the east coast Florida portion of the ICW, the
largest tows (or pushes) I have seen were two, and always end to end.
Nothing like what I have seen when driving over bridges spanning the
Ohio or Mississippi rivers.

Take care . . .

John