Steve

Default Finding Crew???

I think the point that was being made, was regarding fraternizations in a
club setting.. (come on Larry I know you were in the Navy and the rules
regarding this ).

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 18:32:31 GMT, (Larry W4CSC) wrote:

Hmm...isn't that a shame the club has control of what the kid does OFF
work as well as on.

That's my impression. I suspect it came about when one dock guy (who
is also a drysail member and the son of a member) hurt his shoulder
and couldn't work due to an injury sustained while crewing off hours.
Now, if he breaks his ankle while "on the clock", no harm, no foul,
because it's an official Workplace Injury, but the reverse doesn't, it
seems, follow.

On the other hand, I can crew on his Star, or whatever, and if I get
boom-bashed, fall in and drown, I can't sue the club because an
employee broached badly.

Welcome to the glorious modern world!

I can understand him not crewing for you when the
club was paying him. But, when he clocks out he's no longer a club
employee and certainly isn't covered under the club's insurance
policies.

I think there's a question of favouritism, too...if you buddy up with
certain members and not others, it puts your impartiality into
question.

Sorry you can't give the dockmaster a beer. I don't suppose they
refuse tips to the bartenders and waitresses they pay so little,
though...(c;

Yeah, but they NEVER handle the boats...On the other hand, if they
feed you drinks until you are visibly hammered, and you drive off the
property and run over a nun, the Church gets to sue the bartender and
presumably the club.

Of course, insurance and lawyers work hand-in-hand to enrich each
other. Yacht clubs are no different, alas.

R.

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 12:57:41 -0800, "Steve" wrote:

I think the point that was being made, was regarding fraternizations in a
club setting.. (come on Larry I know you were in the Navy and the rules
regarding this ).

You are correct, sir. The legal issue of culpability is the basis for
the policy limits on fraternization.

R.