Harlan Lachman

Default Grundig YB400 SW?????

The only thing I will add to these points is that the sound from this
radio is outstanding from such a small speaker. Very pleasant to listen
to.

Harlan

In article , Jim Thompson
wrote:

I live in PEI Canada. I am surprised at how poor the SW reception is
here on my YB400. A couple of friends yhave had similiar experiences
with theirs, but then a shortwave hobbyist I know here says that he
has to use outdoor aerials with his fancier gear, so presumably it's
just our location?

I like the YB400's compact size. It is easy to tune and store
frequencies. I have extremely limited SW experience, by the way. If
I was going offshore I would definitely want a more substantial SW/SSB
system.

Jim

On 10 Jan 2004 23:35:04 GMT, (Bobsprit) wrote:

Anyone know if these little shortwaves are any good? Need to pick one up as a
gift. If not, what's better? She already has a Panasonic RF 2200, but wants
something "not to worry about" on board.

Thanks,

RB

--
Tro respond, obviously drop the nospam!
Jim Thompson

Very true. During Hurricane Juan's blackout that's the only
entertainment we had -- sitting around the living room in the dark,
listening to the YB400 (local news and music). It sounded great.

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 01:46:51 GMT, Harlan Lachman
wrote:
The only thing I will add to these points is that the sound from this
radio is outstanding from such a small speaker. Very pleasant to listen
to.

Evan Gatehouse

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
Anyone know if these little shortwaves are any good? Need to pick one up

as a
gift. If not, what's better? She already has a Panasonic RF 2200, but

wants
something "not to worry about" on board.

They have a good reputation. Here's a current story about them:

http://www.sailnet.com/collections/c...d=jkrets0079&t
fr=fp

I have a Sony ICF-7600G that is similar in size and performance. I like it
too.

--
Evan Gatehouse

you'll have to rewrite my email address to get to me
ceilydh AT 3web dot net
(fools the spammers)

rich a.

Anyone know if these little shortwaves are any good?

I've had one for years....its very good for a small portable, which
can also recieve ssb (single side band).....but, they eat batteries.
Best bet on a boat is to power it with a cheap (Radio shack) 12v
battery adapter and save the (6) internal AA batteries for portable
use. Also, you need the external wire antenna for good short wave
reception....it comes with the radio.