Doug Dotson

Default VANISHED (stolen?)- a new (and unique) 57' Beneteau

How about a simple burgler alarm.

"Jim" wrote in message
ink.net...
How about an EPIRB with a remote?

Larry W4CSC wrote:

Sorta wants to make ya hook those blasting caps to the starter
solenoid, doesn't it?

Of course, we COULD hide an APRS-GPS 50 watt 2 meter ham rig aboard in
an inconspicuous place leaving it running 24/7 with its burst
transmissions on the national APRS frequency linked to the
internet.....

Then, it would be a matter of accessing:
http://www.wulfden.org/APRSQuery.shtml

and entering the ham callsign into the query page to see if any of the
thousands of APRS-equipped hams and their nodes had heard its lat/long
beacon. Try entering out station out at the Charleston Weather Bureau
Office into the callsign box:
Enter WX4CHS
It'll bring up a map that will place the transmitter within 3 meters
of its exact location on many maps, right online. Any ham's APRS
transmitter is THAT easy to find, right on the net. A moving mobile
even tells you his course and speed...(c;

Click on "Click here to find nearby stations" for the last 240 hours
during daylight hours to see if any of the mobiles are moving around.
They'll track on the map displays in near-realtime if they are.....

I'd be easy to find this Beneteau if it had a couple hundred dollars
in ham equipment socked away under a drawer......any place in the
country.....or maybe the world.

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 20:56:52 GMT, wrote:

FYI, sadly: The Sailnet Beneteau and Catalina Lists have been abuzz
with perplexed postings from and consoling advice to the owner of a
brand new Beneteau 57, the only one so far delivered in the U.S., just
purchased last week, and which, during commissioning, vanished from
the dealer's dock [sic!].

It is said that the Coast Guard, the insurer, and other police
agenies, and marinas have been alerted and are of course looking but
so far to no avail.

For more besides the cited List postings, see
www.yachtsalvage.com/Listings/57Beneteau03.html

Jim

Hey, what do you know, a remote control EPIRB.

A very cool website. Good way to get information across.
Jim

Marcus AAkesson wrote:

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 05:49:40 GMT, (Larry W4CSC) wrote:

Of course, we COULD hide an APRS-GPS 50 watt 2 meter ham rig aboard in
an inconspicuous place leaving it running 24/7 with its burst
transmissions on the national APRS frequency linked to the
internet.....

Or for those that are not Hams and just want a box to install and
forget

http://www.seakey.com/

/Marcus

Larry W4CSC

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 19:57:06 -0500, "Doug Dotson"
wrote:

How about a simple burgler alarm.

Worthless.......

Hide in your boat and set off your foghorn on the VHF PA system and
see how many staff or other boaters show up to see what's wrong.....

I've installed a flooding alarm they won't ignore. NOONE will sleep
as Lionheart sinks....NOONE.