John Smith

Default Sea Cocks

Should sea cocks (under the water line) be ball valves or gate valves?

Jim Richardson

Jim Richardson

Marc

Never gate type, always 1/4 turn somethings, barrel, ball, tapered
plug, etc, Also, always, a proper flanged base seacock with a backing
pad and ball drain, not an inline valve attached to a thruhull spud.
Conbraco, Groco, Perko, Forespar etc.

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 05:44:34 GMT, "John Smith"
wrote:

Should sea cocks (under the water line) be ball valves or gate valves?

Steve

As others have stated, Gate Valve are not suited for marine use and
especially for below the waterline.

However, IMHO, the plug valve is superior to the ball valve. The plug valve
can be taken apart and cleaned or repaired. It seems that they would be
cheaper to manufacture as well..

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

DSK

Steve wrote:

As others have stated, Gate Valve are not suited for marine use and
especially for below the waterline.

However, IMHO, the plug valve is superior to the ball valve. The plug valve
can be taken apart and cleaned or repaired. It seems that they would be
cheaper to manufacture as well..

Agreed. Good plug valves are hard to find, though. One of the chief benefits is
that you can disassemble them without taking apart the piping, something that
can't be done with ball valves. Also, if they happen to freeze up, they are
easier to unfreeze.

I looked all over for plug valves to replace some seacocks on our boat last
spring, and couldn't find any that we could actually get in time. However, at
some boatyard session in the not-too-distant future I have to replace (upsize)
two seacocks and intend to have plug valves on hand for that job.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King