Lloyd Sumpter

Default Boat Selection Process

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 16:49:21 +0000, QLW wrote:

We are looking for a reasonably comfortable, displacement hull, trailerable
"cruiser". Sail or power...which ever seems best.

Although I'm a sailor at heart, I find trailerable sailboats kind of an
oxymoron. You might find what you need (esp. if you're willing to forget about
sailing and run the sailboat as a powerboat), but you might want to check out
the Nimble Nomad: 25ft long, uses an outboard in a well for power. The website
is supposed to be www.nimbleboat.com but that doesn't seem to work (are they
still in business?) There's a pic of one at:

http://www.cbmmag.net/resources/trawler_03/

There are also many plans for "mini-trawlers" (like:
http://www.boatplans-online.com/prod....php?prod=MT24 ) - donno if you want to buy
someone else's "project" though...

I'm also a Keen Fan of the diesel inboard, but as Chuck says, you won't find
a diesel trawler for $15K.

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36

Matt Colie

Lloyd,

The fact that you find trailerable sailboat an oxymoron is kind of a
suprise.

After many years of sailing lots of sizes and shapes of boats, I decided
I wanted to trade for a trailerable. I settled on a 26' S2 with keel
that pulls up flush to the bottom. I'm a ship's engineer by trade (so
diesel is a good friend), but I elected for the outboard version because
I would never loose sailing time to an engine problem and I and take it
home to my shop if I actually need a wrench.

OK, We are both about 5-6 and we can not quite stand erect on the cabin,
but the is lots of sitting and bunck space.

There is another couple of charms, the boat winters in my barn so I can
do all the "yard work where it is at least dry if not maybe warm and
long passages that are accessable by land are optional.

Years ago my father had finally settled into a trailerable, he liked it
even more when we cruised both the Chesapeake and the Bras D'or in the
same season from his mooring in Mystic.

Matt Colie
Congenital Sailor

Lloyd Sumpter wrote:

[...]

DSK

Matt Colie wrote:

Lloyd,

The fact that you find trailerable sailboat an oxymoron is kind of a
suprise.

Not really (for me at least). Most people who shop for trailerables consider size &
performance & probably looks higher on their priority scale than 'trailerability.' The
result isn't surprising, most trailerable sailboats are cumbersome & difficult on land. The
few boats that have been designed to trailer well are easy to rig & launch & retrieve, but
they get rejected out of hand and so they don't command much of the market.

My wife & I cruised several weeks out of each of the past ten years in a trailerable
sailboat. Many of our trips were made in company with a club of others with such boats,
between the inherent design & the awkward practices of most owners, we always had by far
the easiest time trailering. At times we waited on others literally for hours, sometimes I
helped them but had to give this up as some individuals quickly came to regard me as unpaid
coolie labor.

Years ago my father had finally settled into a trailerable, he liked it
even more when we cruised both the Chesapeake and the Bras D'or in the
same season from his mooring in Mystic.

Yep, it's amazing how much cruising ground you can cover in a boat that makes 55mph VMG
dead to windward. We ranged a lot further than our friends with big in-water boats, come to
think of it we havent' yet covered half as much ground ourselves in our trawler. But the
big boats feeds the romantic dream of the 'someday cruise' much better.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Boat fell off trailer bb General 31 January 27th 04 10:22 PM
Ownership Question/Survey Sean Sullivan NYC General 4 December 18th 03 07:04 AM
I need your advice for a new boat Kharlosan Cruising 24 November 19th 03 10:27 AM
1st boat help Diverguy General 21 November 12th 03 07:40 PM
Interesting boat ride...... Gould 0738 General 21 October 21st 03 02:00 AM