Default Schatz Royal Mariner find.

http://www.nauticalclocks.ca/nautica...rs.php?item=48

Found a Schatz Royal Mariner brass striking deck clock at the thrift shop
today, complete with winding key. Brass needs a good buffing and
polishing, but there was an ominous heavy moving around loose in the back
of it. I bought it that way for $9.95, as is.

Took it home to my stepvan shop and removed the beautifully-made brass
bezel with very heavy bezeled glass cover, then removed the movement.
Aha! The large brass bell, which is about 5" across and flatened like a
pipe cap to make it fit the case, had fallen off its post. Lucky for me,
the nut and lockwasher were laying in the back of the case...NOT wedged
into the movement.

Wound it up and it took right off ticking VERY quietly. Remounted the
bell and turned it as it's hole is slightly off-centered so you can
adjust it to the TWO little hammers that give it that nautical
ding-ding......ding-ding......ding-ding
sequence. Beautiful metallic bell sound with lots of harmonics. On the
half hour, the hammer that stikes second is caught by a little hook on
the last ding-ding turning it into a single ding, adding the half to the
hour strike for it. It's working perfectly and is hanging on my wall
until its regulated, then I'm going to clean the brass case to a high
shine and get the tiny dots of white paint off it, ruining its shipboard
history...(c;

As you can see from the price on the website, $10 was a real bargain with
so little wrong with it....(c; God I love thriftshops who aren't clock
dealers...

Larry
--
Well, I'm past the halfway point on the 4-to-8 watch. Under 2 hours to
go and I can relax....at 8 bells...(c;