Ross West

Default Cruising from Virgin Islands to Miami?

My wife and I are planning to cruise from Virgin Islands to Miami during
April and May. If anyone has experience with the coastal / island hopping
route vs. offshore passagemaking we would appreciate your advice. We have a
baby and would like to do it in short hops. We'd also value any advice on
places to stop on the way.

We have a website with information about our boat etc. at
www.rossandcarla.com Thank you.

Glenn Ashmore

I have made that run on deliveries several times but those are ten day
dashes. Not for enjoyable cruising.

Best idea is to get Bruce Van Sant's Gentlemens Guide to Passages South
and read it backwards. :-) Another excellent resource is David Jones'
Concise Guide to Caribbean Weather.

The basic route after leaving out of Tortola or St. Thomas is to check
into PR waters at Culebra. MUCH easier check in there than any place on
PR. Spend a few days in the Spanish Virgins and then head along the
South coast of PR. Do your major provisioning at Ponce. Some really
nice US style super groceries there and the prices are considerably
chepar than in the VI.

PR to the Bahamas requires a couple of 24 to 30 hour legs that can get a
bit bouncy so wait for the weather. (I have never had that luxury.)
The North shore of Hispanola is effected by the northern weather pattern
so fronts can kill the Trades for a day or so at the time. That is
great for making easting but can leave you wallowing in the swells going
west.

Stage at Mayaguez for the run across Mona Passage to Samana. Stay well
north of Cape Engafio at the East end of the DR. Shoaling can produce
rather uncomfortable swells in that area. Spend a day or so in Samana
but be sure to lock up everything. Work your way along the north shore
to Puerto Plata or maybe Luperon if you are enjoying yourself and then
up to the Turks. You can restock at Luperon but US brands are limited.
Puerto Plata is really interesting but I was a little concerned about
security. That was several years ago so things may have changed. For a
small taste of Haiti continue on to Cap Haitien and then up to the
Caicos. After that is is just island hopping.

An alternate, less traveled route that I like is along the South coast
of Hispanola and up the windward Passage to Great Inagua. Much smoother
run and lots of interesting stops but you better know some French and
Spanish. Very few turists so very little English spoken. Also there
are few places to get provisions.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Glenn Ashmore

Ross West wrote:
My wife and I are planning to cruise from Virgin Islands to Miami during
April and May. If anyone has experience with the coastal / island hopping
route vs. offshore passagemaking we would appreciate your advice. We have a
baby and would like to do it in short hops. We'd also value any advice on
places to stop on the way.

We have a website with information about our boat etc. at
www.rossandcarla.com Thank you.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

BAHAMAS RELAXES CRUISING FEE TO ALLOW MULTIPLE ENTRIES Wayne.B General 16 February 17th 04 04:13 PM
Cruising the Bahamas LaBomba182 Cruising 8 September 5th 03 01:17 AM
us virgin islands Patrik Cruising 0 September 3rd 03 11:42 PM
AUS: Licences and/ or Quals for International Cruising Moores Family Cruising 9 August 6th 03 11:00 PM
My Sailing Misadventures in the British Virgin Islands Steve B. General 1 July 13th 03 11:04 PM