BoatBanter.com

-   -   How can a single woman go sailing around the world ? (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/86315-how-can-single-woman-go-sailing-around-world.html)

[email protected] September 18th 07 10:41 AM

How can a single woman go sailing around the world ?

What is the best way for a single middle-aged woman
(who is inexperienced but willing to share the expenses)
to find a position as a crew on a sailboat and go sailing
around the world or at least to the Caribbean, Hawaii, etc ?

TIA
Jackie Sparrow :)

Paul Cassel September 18th 07 03:19 PM

wrote:
What is the best way for a single middle-aged woman
(who is inexperienced but willing to share the expenses)
to find a position as a crew on a sailboat and go sailing
around the world or at least to the Caribbean, Hawaii, etc ?

Use any search engine to search on 'sailing crew wanted' or similar
phrases. You'll get a lot of hits.

I've lived aboard over 7 years total. In that time I've encountered many
single guy sailors who would take on a female crew but would also expect
a sex partner. If you are into casual sex, just wander around the docks
some saying you're looking for a ride.

-paul

Larry September 18th 07 03:43 PM

How can a single woman go sailing around the world ?

wrote in
:

What is the best way for a single middle-aged woman
(who is inexperienced but willing to share the expenses)
to find a position as a crew on a sailboat and go sailing
around the world or at least to the Caribbean, Hawaii, etc ?

TIA
Jackie Sparrow :)

Is this a loaded question or what?!

Single middle-aged women with no sailing or seamanship have no trouble
getting a "crew position" on any boat in our marina....well, unless the
captain's wife is going along...(c;

I'm sorry but boys will be boys. The minute the most chaste Baptist
preacher steps over the toerail he becomes a terrible pirate, just after
the fenders have been stowed....

Good luck, Jackie. They're waiting for you at the dock....(c;

Larry
--
Search youtube for "Depleted Uranium"
The ultimate dirty bomb......

Capt. JG September 18th 07 04:05 PM

wrote in message

What is the best way for a single middle-aged woman
(who is inexperienced but willing to share the expenses)
to find a position as a crew on a sailboat and go sailing
around the world or at least to the Caribbean, Hawaii, etc ?

TIA
Jackie Sparrow :)

Keep posting articles like this...

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

John September 18th 07 06:46 PM

On Sep 18, 11:05 am, "Capt. JG" wrote:
wrote in message

What is the best way for a single middle-aged woman
(who is inexperienced but willing to share the expenses)
to find a position as a crew on a sailboat and go sailing
around the world or at least to the Caribbean, Hawaii, etc ?

TIA
Jackie Sparrow :)

Keep posting articles like this...

--
"j" ganz

Jackie,

I think you may find someone who will take you as crew . . . maybe
even someone you would want to crew for, but I think the posters here
have a point: that you need to be careful.

As Jimmy Buffet says in his song "Fins", "She's takin' care to look
for sharks. They hang out in the local bars, and they feed right after
dark." and "Just behind the reef are the big white teeth of the sharks
that can swim on the land."

With that said, I admire your courage to seriously consider the
notion, and wish you good voyages.

John

Molesworth September 19th 07 01:38 AM

How can a single woman go sailing around the world ?

In article ,
"Capt. JG" wrote:

wrote in message

What is the best way for a single middle-aged woman
(who is inexperienced but willing to share the expenses)
to find a position as a crew on a sailboat and go sailing
around the world or at least to the Caribbean, Hawaii, etc ?

TIA
Jackie Sparrow :)

Keep posting articles like this...

I might be able to help...

email me at

ukmoleATNOSPAMyahoo.com

Bob September 19th 07 03:38 AM

On Sep 18, 2:41 am, wrote:
What is the best way for a single middle-aged woman
(who is inexperienced but willing to share the expenses)
to find a position as a crew on a sailboat and go sailing
around the world or at least to the Caribbean, Hawaii, etc ?

TIA
Jackie Sparrow :)

Craigs List: W4M ... NSA..............
Bob

cavelamb himself[_4_] September 19th 07 04:09 AM

wrote:
What is the best way for a single middle-aged woman
(who is inexperienced but willing to share the expenses)
to find a position as a crew on a sailboat and go sailing
around the world or at least to the Caribbean, Hawaii, etc ?

TIA
Jackie Sparrow :)

There is the "other" possibility.

Buy your own boat and go sail it wherever you want.

If you are starting from scratch, maybe take a class and
charter a couple of times before buying.

Just so you have a chance to learn what you like.

Richard

[email protected] September 19th 07 05:01 AM

How can a single woman go sailing around the world ?

What is the best way for a single middle-aged woman...

Being the sometime cynic that I am...

I was kind of wondering if this is the emergence of another one
of Neale Warren's sock puppets. (smile)

Then again if this poster is for real... more power to her and
the related thread. And I apologize for questioning it's credi-
bility.

Just wondering...

Bill

Anacapa Isle Marina
Channel Islands Harbor
Oxnard, California

Marc Heusser September 19th 07 06:01 AM

wrote:

What is the best way for a single middle-aged woman
(who is inexperienced but willing to share the expenses)
to find a position as a crew on a sailboat and go sailing
around the world or at least to the Caribbean, Hawaii, etc ?

Ask around in a crusing club?
Find a female skipper?
Should not be too difficult but be careful.
A boat is a tight space and you cannot quit the game.
You will get to know your crew very well, sometimes better than you ever
wanted to.
Get to know the crew beforehand rather well.

HTH

Marc

--
Switzerland/Europe