Ric Ruminski

Default "Catting" or "Fish Up" the anchor??

Fish the anchor means to hoist the flukes to their resting place (called
the bill-boards), and pass the shank painter.

Ric

"Steve" wrote in message
I use to be a Purest but as time goes by and my brains cells absorb more

and
more fiberglass fumes, I have slipped to Traditionalist..

With that said, I'm find that I'm lossing track of verious nautical terms
and methods.

I just picked up my (complimentary) Jan/Feb copy of Ocean Navigator and

felt
a shiver as I saw the very traditional schooner Wendameen making way while
two seamen deal with the anchor.. "Ahh!" I say to myself, "Catting the
Anchor! Don't see that anymore."

Then I flipped to the Contents page to find out a little more about this
fine looking vessel... In the "Cover:" line I was surprise that the term
"fish up the anchor" was used.. I'm not familiar with that term and I now
wonder it that is a regional term..

I can clearly see that they have a Cathead (of sorts) on the rail so I'm
wondering if the this term relates to the hook and tackle that they are
using..

Oh well, I won't loose any sleep while pondering this question but wonder
what other traditionalists might know..

Steve (boring day in the Pac. NW. )

s/v Good Intentions

Steve

"Ric Ruminski" wrote in message
. ..
Fish the anchor means to hoist the flukes to their resting place (called
the bill-boards), and pass the shank painter.

Hmm! In the absense of an excepted nautical dictionary, I refer to my
Webster Collegiate which defines the term 'cat', 'catted' or 'catting' v
(1769): to bring(an anchor) up to the 'cathead'..

Cathead n (1626): a projecting piece of timber or iron near the bow of a
ship to which the anchor is hoisted and secured..

Billboard n (1860): a projection or ledge fixed to the bow of a vessel for
the anchor to rest on.

Now I'm obsessing..

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

carlp

Ric Ruminski" wrote in message
. ..
Fish the anchor means to hoist the flukes to their resting place (called
the bill-boards), and pass the shank painter.

Hmm! In the absense of an excepted nautical dictionary, I refer to my
Webster Collegiate which defines the term 'cat', 'catted' or 'catting' v
(1769): to bring(an anchor) up to the 'cathead'..

Cathead n (1626): a projecting piece of timber or iron near the bow of a
ship to which the anchor is hoisted and secured..
Thank you children, I will continue to pull up my anchor.
carl.

Anchor rollers John Kenison General 5 February 23rd 04 08:38 PM
Anchor lights Parallax Cruising 9 October 23rd 03 04:08 PM
The problem with these off-topic, political threads... Joe Parsons General 99 September 10th 03 04:42 AM
Fish Farming Bill Cole General 2 September 7th 03 05:43 PM