Larry W4CSC

Default Radar Arc's and blips, the answer

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 15:58:07 GMT, Gary Schafer
wrote:

Oh yah, that must have been a sight. A trail of dead seagulls floating
behind the ship. Or did they just catch on fire and burn up before
they hit the water.

Gary

Just dropped. Never knew what hit 'em.

I heard a story back when there was a Soviet Union of a radar picket
ship that trained its SPS-30 onto the bridge of a Soviet warship that
kept threatening to ram our ship. Some guys I knew aboard it said you
could see flourescent tubes exploding on the deck and in the wheel
house....(c;

Of course, it could all be BS, but the physics of it is quite
possible. Noone was allowed outside on the 02 level when the radar
was on the air.

Larry W4CSC

NNNN
Larry W4CSC

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 13:30:49 -0500, "Leanne" wrote:

Larry,
We those pulses a CQ????? :-p

Leanne W1WXS
s/v Fundy

Not enough power for SETI.
Larry W4CSC

NNNN

Leanne

I was thinking of moonbounce. The moon, I believe is -54db
passive reflector and with that power, there should have been a
bit coming back. Old Paul Wilson did it with a lot less on 2
mtrs.

Leanne

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 13:30:49 -0500, "Leanne"

wrote:

Larry,
We those pulses a CQ????? :-p

Leanne W1WXS
s/v Fundy

Not enough power for SETI.
Larry W4CSC

NNNN

Leanne

I was thinking of moonbounce. The moon, I believe is -54db
passive reflector and with that power, there should have been a
bit coming back. Old Paul Wilson did it with a lot less on 2
mtrs.

Leanne

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 13:30:49 -0500, "Leanne"

wrote:

Larry,
We those pulses a CQ????? :-p

Leanne W1WXS
s/v Fundy

Not enough power for SETI.
Larry W4CSC

NNNN

Larry W4CSC

Oh, we had no trouble seeing the reflection from a short pulse train
pointed at the moon. We simply kept the repeater scanning
300-600-900-1200 on the 300 mile range, its maximum, until the pulse
showed up. Count the number of scans X 300 miles and add in the
repeater's range to that to get the moon's distance. The return was
quite strong.

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 20:19:10 -0500, "Leanne" wrote:

I was thinking of moonbounce. The moon, I believe is -54db
passive reflector and with that power, there should have been a
bit coming back. Old Paul Wilson did it with a lot less on 2
mtrs.

Leanne

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 13:30:49 -0500, "Leanne"

wrote:

Larry,
We those pulses a CQ????? :-p

Leanne W1WXS
s/v Fundy

Not enough power for SETI.
Larry W4CSC

NNNN

Larry W4CSC

NNNN
Larry W4CSC

Oh, we had no trouble seeing the reflection from a short pulse train
pointed at the moon. We simply kept the repeater scanning
300-600-900-1200 on the 300 mile range, its maximum, until the pulse
showed up. Count the number of scans X 300 miles and add in the
repeater's range to that to get the moon's distance. The return was
quite strong.

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 20:19:10 -0500, "Leanne" wrote:

I was thinking of moonbounce. The moon, I believe is -54db
passive reflector and with that power, there should have been a
bit coming back. Old Paul Wilson did it with a lot less on 2
mtrs.

Leanne

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 13:30:49 -0500, "Leanne"

wrote:

Larry,
We those pulses a CQ????? :-p

Leanne W1WXS
s/v Fundy

Not enough power for SETI.
Larry W4CSC

NNNN

Larry W4CSC

NNNN
Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 20:19:10 -0500, "Leanne" wrote:

I was thinking of moonbounce. The moon, I believe is -54db
passive reflector and with that power, there should have been a
bit coming back. Old Paul Wilson did it with a lot less on 2
mtrs.

Wasn't he the guy with the large "impedance-matching device" between
his xmitter and antenna? :-)

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Accordions don't play 'Lady of Spain.' People play 'Lady of Spain."

Leanne

Wasn't he the guy with the large "impedance-matching device"
between
his xmitter and antenna? :-)

That was so long ago, almost 40 years. I do remember seeing the
parametric amps that he used on the down link. There was an 18
foot dish married from three different systems for his antenna
control.

This is the AMSAT notice on his passing November 1999.

http://www.amsat.org/amsat/news/ans1999/ans99339.html

It was impressive to drive up to his house and see that disk
pointing to the sky. I had
a good friend that used to live a couple miles away. He had the
first mailbox on the right after crossing the Mississippi state
line.

Leanne