Default Maritime Mobile Service Net Report - Flying Pig

FROM: Skip and Lydia
VESSEL: "Flying Pig"
CONTACT: 18:58 CDST
SHIP'S POSITION:
38 Degrees 20.9 Minutes North and 74 Degrees 42.4 Minutes West
LOCATION: Near Elizabeth, MD
COURSE: 26 Degrees North - Magnetic
SPEED: Five NMPH
MESSAGE: All is well, have experienced heavy thunderstorms.
FROM: Net Relay Station

Larry

Larry wrote:

FROM: Skip and Lydia
VESSEL: "Flying Pig"
CONTACT: 18:58 CDST
SHIP'S POSITION:
38 Degrees 20.9 Minutes North and 74 Degrees 42.4 Minutes West
LOCATION: Near Elizabeth, MD
COURSE: 26 Degrees North - Magnetic
SPEED: Five NMPH
MESSAGE: All is well, have experienced heavy thunderstorms.
FROM: Net Relay Station

I don't know any Elizabeth MD. There's Elizabeth City NC and
Elizabeth NJ but when I look up that position, it is about even with
the MD/DE line a little north of Ocean City MD.

--

What is the frequency for the Maritime Mobile Net?
Is there a specific broadcast time??

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 00:59:03 -0400, Rosalie B.
wrote:

Larry wrote:

FROM: Skip and Lydia
VESSEL: "Flying Pig"
CONTACT: 18:58 CDST
SHIP'S POSITION:
38 Degrees 20.9 Minutes North and 74 Degrees 42.4 Minutes West
LOCATION: Near Elizabeth, MD
COURSE: 26 Degrees North - Magnetic
SPEED: Five NMPH
MESSAGE: All is well, have experienced heavy thunderstorms.
FROM: Net Relay Station

I don't know any Elizabeth MD. There's Elizabeth City NC and
Elizabeth NJ but when I look up that position, it is about even with
the MD/DE line a little north of Ocean City MD.

That's what I came up with also. You can get a graphical display by
going to:

http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cg...ki4mpc&terra=1

and zooming out a bit.

The weather is pretty miserable out there right now, better if they
had waited for a better window. If it was me I'd put in at Cape May
and wait for the fronts to move through.

wrote:

Larry wrote:

[...]

We've had quite a bit of rain and thunder and lightening here (down on
the Potomac near Point Lookout) for the last two days, and have lost
power a couple of times in the evenings.

This was not really predicted on the weather I was watching (TV news
mostly). I do watch the weather and the rain surprised me because we
have been having a drought - a prediction of rain would have been
welcome. And I didn't see anything but a possible afternoon showers.
I was going to suggest we go out on the boat Sat, except that Bob had
a dental appointment early Monday morning and we might not have gotten
back in time. I didn't see any weather mentioned in the forecast for
the end of the weekend that would have precluded a trip of a couple of
days.

Ocean City isn't really a good place for a big sailboat (I gather -
never having done that), and I thought they might be a little close to
shore to preclude being driven off course and into the beach, but the
wind will probably be offshore, and it isn't the Florida Keys or Cape
Hatteras so it will probably be OK.

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 12:20:23 -0400, Rosalie B.
wrote:

Ocean City isn't really a good place for a big sailboat (I gather -
never having done that), and I thought they might be a little close to
shore to preclude being driven off course and into the beach, but the
wind will probably be offshore, and it isn't the Florida Keys or Cape
Hatteras so it will probably be OK.

I went in to Ocean City once and I regard it as being a bit difficult.

There is a charted reef to the south on the outside which requires a
wide turn before entering. The next challenge is an uncharted "S"
turn in the channel after the entrance, marked by buoys that are on
the small side. Finally there are strong currents in the harbor which
can make docking an interesting experience.

Definitely not a place you'd want to enter at night without a lot of
prior experience.

14.300 Mhz on 20 meter ham radio. Those old guys monitor that frequency
nearly 24/7! Of course you must have a ham radio license to use it. ...

You may be able to follow along on the net (internet). Here in the
Pacific they put reports up several places including http://www.pacsea.org/.
We've been checking in with these great folks for years (we use
Maryann's call AH6QR).

-- Tom.

Flying Pig position report Larry Cruising 0 August 7th 07 02:35 AM
Where is a mobile phone :-) PEO from RSM General 0 February 20th 07 05:53 PM
Mobile to Seattle R.W. Behan Cruising 21 January 17th 06 05:10 AM
mobile marine service and parts, massachusetts [email protected] General 1 March 18th 05 04:05 AM
Maritime Festival Sean Tall Ships 0 December 17th 04 11:03 AM