Doug Dotson

Default Cruising Bahamas

That's true. I have a freid that departed here in October
for the BVIs. Was going to stop for fuel in the Bahamas.
He ended going down the coast instead.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message

Kelton Joyner wrote:

It seems that the people not going to the Bahamas has had an impact on
the economy. The recently announced that the permit is now good for
muntiple entries. Two within 90 days. Now that probably doesn,t help
people who come down from the north for a couple weeks-months, it does
help those of us who like to jump over to Bimini for a weekend every few
weekends.
Kelton
s/v Isle Escape

What has me bugged is that it does not matter if you are "cruising" or
not. You have to pay just to transit Bahamian waters. I am working a
return delivery, Tortola/Ft. Lauderdale in January. Our three man crew
usually works on a set fee pluss airfare and gets to keep anything over
expenses. Because time is money we normally only stop at Puerto Plata
and Georgetown but $300 is a bit much to pay for one evening on dry
ground. Looks like we will have to make the run up the Old Bahama
Channel and hope we don't meet any Cuban gunboats.

It is going to be a long slog.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Doug Dotson

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
x-no-archive:yes

"Doug Dotson" wrote:

Why didin't you say so. If Bob doesn't want to go
then that's it. WX windows are just a fact of life, we
had to wait 6 weeks last year. But six weeks anchored
in Lake Worth beats anything up here in Maryland.

We haven't been to Lake Worth since our first trip down - we avoid
that whole area and just wait in Ft. Pierce until we can get offshore
to Miami. (Our daughter and grandchildren live in Miami, and we kind
of like Miami.) We would never leave to go to the Bahamas from that
far north anyway - our boat is too slow.

Going to the Bahamas from Ft Pierce would be a slog. We went
on the outside from Fernandina to Ft Pierce and then inside to
Lake Worth. Returning to Ft Pierce is not bad if you are a
US citizen. We buddied with our Kanuk friends who have to
check back in person anyway, so Lake Worth is where we
reentered.

I can agree that the Bahamas aren't that great. But
again aren't that bad. You made it sound like
the fee and reentry changes are the reasons you chose

The fee and the re-entry changes ARE the reasons Bob has chosen not to
go this year. And maybe a bit because of his heart attack two years
ago, but that is completely unexpressed, so I may be altogether wrong
about that. I still have some level of anxiety from that which causes
me to keep asking him what he's doing or does he feel OK which
irritates him - so if I think of it in time, I try not to ask those
questions.

Tha's good. Health is way more important than cruising. Cruising,
especially on a sailboat, is alot of work and stress.

As I said before, an extra $200 in the grand scheme of things is
not a big deal (although it does **** me off). The reentry
procedure is now the same for US citizens as it had been for
non-citizens for yesrs. Doesn't keep them away.

I'm somewhat less comfortable in lively conditions than I was before,
and I didn't really like them before.

We don't enjoy getting bounced around either.

not to go this year. Just those items are an unfortunate
fact of life and a minor inconvenience. We anchor out most
of the time and rarely stay at marinas as well. Nobody
ever made fun of us for it. Just the opposite actually.

You've got it backwards - we stay in marinas almost all the time and
people think we spend too much money that way. (Not that it is any of
their business really.)

Maybe I misstated myself. We stay at anchor 90% of the time
and save mucho $$$.

They wish they had the skill and confidence to do it and
save all the money we did.

Doug
s/v Callista

We anchor out pretty much all the time so marina costs
are not much concern.

"Doug Dotson" wrote:

Rosalie,

Why are you depriving yourself of one of the finer points
of life just for a few extra dollars and a few extra procedures
to comply with? Your protest affects no one but yourself.
Life is too short.

BOb doesn't want to go. Therefore, I'm not going.

There's a lot of hassle to going to the Bahamas (I mean finding a
weather window etc.), and I just don't like the Bahamas THAT much that
I'm willing to put up with the extra fee, and the extra hassle on
coming back.

Some folks kind of look down on us because we don't anchor out every
night but spend money on marinas. And here you are telling me it's
just a few extra dollars. As I said - we could probably afford the
fee if that was all it was.

"Jerry" wrote:

Hopefully it will keep some of the rift-raft out.

I'm sorry you feel that way about us. We aren't going this year --

but in our case it's more because of the new 'homeland security'
regulations in regard to immigration than to the Bahamas entry fees
although that is a part of it too. I think the new regulations are
stupid and because they do not increase security at all but just
penalize the honest people I'm not willing to go to jail or be fined
to demonstrate that it IS stupid. I just don't know how to get
through the institutionalized stupidity.

"RWKxxx" wrote in message

We plan to go around the 10th of January

I am sorry to see anyone going to the Bahamas as long as they

have
that
ridicules $300 entry free in place. It will be corrected only

when
enough
people stay away.

grandma Rosalie

Doug Dotson

All good points. Probably better to post them in a newsgroup
that is oriented toward such things.

Doug
s/v Callista

"stealth" wrote in message

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message

stealth wrote:

What exactly have our leaders changed regarding homeland security

going
offshore and back? Given the dog and pony show they are selling in the

name
of our safety, I can only imagine the lunacy that they have

implemented
against law abiding U. S. citizens that are boaters. As an airline

pilot
and
avid aviator, I get to witness the idiocy you mention first hand! TSA

is
nothing more than smoke and mirrors for the duped public who falsely

believe
otherwise.

Here is the latest word on Bahamas/South Florida clearing. First the
bahamian Government has softened a little. You can now exit and return
once in the first 90 days of the year long cruising permit. They have
also made it clearer that you are not to be charged overtime fees or for
the dinghy either on deck or towed.

On the US side, you can still clear customs by phone if you have a
sticker but Immigration wants in person check in. Once you have tied up
you have to take a $40 taxi ride to the airport or to Dodge Island.
While the crew is spending the day checking into the US, Osama can
unload the neuclear device and check into the Holliday Inn.

If I understand you correctly, customs never once visits the actual boat?
Sometimes it is difficult to distinguish as to who is dumber; those that
create these idiotic laws or the people who continually vote these idiots
into office and allow it to continue. TSA is a farce and nothing more than

police state affair that gives the uninformed a false warm and cozy

feeling
that they are safe from terrorist harm. It amazes me how many people I

meet
in my travels actually believe that the government/TSA is doing an
outstanding job of protecting us. Point in case, they strip search airline
pilots in plain view of the passengers, take away their nail clippers, and
then allow them to board the flight deck which contains a crash axe,

flares,
AND complete control of the aircraft. It would seem logical that rather

than
worrying about every pair of nail clippers that may or may not get on a
flight, safety would be better served if we concerned ourselves more with
"who" is on the flight rather than "what". If someone of middle eastern
origin balks at removing their turban for inspection due to religious
reasons, they are allowed to pass through security without fail due to the
fact they we don't want to racial profile for fear of making anyone angry.
Make note that all successful terrorist hijackers have been from those of
the middle east. Yet, TSA will demand that an elderly and frail

grandmother
in a wheel chair be searched with no exceptions if they so choose. In
addition, if a crew member refuses to remove their hat, they WILL be

fired,
and the TSA (not the FAA) now has full authority to revoke the airmen
certificates (license) of anyone that they (again, not the FAA) deems a
national security threat. This interpretation of who and why is at the

sole
discretion of the TSA. Currently, there is no check and balance of this
outrageous power, and as such, we are at the mercy of minimum wage high
school drop outs in determining who can board and who cannot. My point is
that we have the technology to determine with utmost certainty the

identity
of any one individual, yet we choose to allow ourselves to be scrutinized

by
a police state mentality in the name of safety. I realize I am getting off
topic for which this group is intended, but I lurk in this group from time
to time as it is my intention to buy a 35'-40' in the near future and dock
it in the Miami area. And as a law abiding citizen, I would like to be

able
to retain the freedom to float my boat at will without constantly being
treated like a common criminal. As such, witnessing what the government

has
done in the name of safety to the aviation sector, both commercial and
private, the topic of new TSA rules boating to and from the Bahamas peaked
my curiosity. Thanks for the reply.

Doug Dotson

We checked back in via a cellphone. From what I understand
the whole process now has to be done in person.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
x-no-archive:yes

stealth wrote:

[...]

Well that's not quite correct. You can clear customs or at least
start the procedure by phone (although they do insist on a land line -
you can't or aren't supposed to be able to do it by cell phone
although I have managed to do so) whether or not you have a sticker.
If you don't have a sticker, you have to get one and then phone and
tell them the number to finish the clearing in process. (This is only
for boats over a certain length BTW)

But customs can, at their discretion, require you to wait at the dock
for them to actually visit the boat and do an inspection in person.
I'm pretty sure this is still the same. I heard that some ports of
entry were more likely to do an in person inspection than others.

I think it's pretty much the same in the Bahamas depending on the
port. In Bimini, Chub, West End, Morgan's Bluff and other small
places, one person gets off the boat and checks in with customs and
then with immigration. Actually I think at Morgan's Bluff you anchor
and they come out to you. Sometimes customs and immigration are the
same person and sometimes not. In Nassau or Lucaya, you tie up to the
dock and wait for them to get around to visiting your boat.

Sometimes it is difficult to distinguish as to who is dumber; those that
create these idiotic laws or the people who continually vote these idiots
into office and allow it to continue. TSA is a farce and nothing more

than a
[...]

Armond Perretta

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
... Looks like we will have to make
the run up the Old Bahama Channel and hope we don't meet any Cuban
gunboats.

I was unaware this had become a problem. Bush and Rumsfeld have established
that Osama is wintering in Havana, of course. This was obvious once the CIA
conclusively demonstrated that the Tropicana chorus line are now appearing
in bourkas.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat

Glenn Ashmore

Armond Perretta wrote:

Glenn Ashmore wrote:

... Looks like we will have to make the run up the Old Bahama
Channel and hope we don't meet any Cuban gunboats.

I was unaware this had become a problem. Bush and Rumsfeld have
established that Osama is wintering in Havana, of course. This was
obvious once the CIA conclusively demonstrated that the Tropicana
chorus line are now appearing in bourkas.

I am more concerned about the CNB weapons that the Dubya tried to claim
Castro was building. Bet everyone forgot about that. Bush got caught
in a big lie and evidently didn't learn much when he came up with the
Iraq justification.

-