Bruce in Alaska

Default ssb or satelite phone

In article ,
"doug dotson" wrote:

The CG's handling of SSB is a bit unclear to me. We were in a situation
where
VHF contact was marginal. I asked the CG if I could contact them via SSB and
they said no, they did not support SSB frequencies.

Doug, k3qt
s/v Callista

This is exactly right. USCG is in the process of getting it's GMDSS
system...FUNDED. They are about three years behind EU, and way behind
what they originally promised. USCG does maintain a listening watch
at a few COMMSTA's, but not on ALL of them and on different frequencies
than one might expect. USCG Kodiak DOES watch 4125.0Khz 24/7, and I
think USCG Frisco does as well. COMMSTA Juneau does have MF/HF
capability thru Yakatat but it is broke more than operational mostly
and they keep no watch at all on MF/HF. If your in trouble and beyond
VHF coverage, your best option is light off the 406 EPIRB, and wait for
the USCG Chopper to arrive.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @
Larry W4CSC

But they have hundreds of thousands of dollars for a new front gate on
Tradd Street in Charleston, or tennis courts.....even though they
never replaced the ANTENNA TOWER Hurricane HUGO tore down in 1989 so
they could hear you on their antique VHF radios whos modulation is so
low you must turn your volume up full to hear any broadcasts.

It's a matter of CG priorities, not lack of funding.

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 23:11:16 GMT, Bruce in Alaska
wrote:

In article ,
"doug dotson" wrote:

[...]

NNNN

Mike Cobbe

The USCG doesn't even have FUNDING for GMDSS Sites

Which makes it even odder that they don't respond to voice on 2182. It's
only because of GMDSS that the CG is ceasing listening watch on 2182 and
Ch16 - if they are not GMDSS compliant they should still be listening
(and responding).

Mike