Default transporting an outboard engine by car

My wife and I will be traveling to various harbors in Maine by car
this weekend with our inflatable dingy (deflated) and an old 2-horse
power outboard engine. We will arrive somewhere, inflate the boat and
spend a few hours cruising. It is a great way for us to see some
beautiful places in a very short amount of time. The outboard is so
old that it must be kept straight up or it tends to leak. My question
is: any ideas on how to travel by car with an old outboard engine? In
the past the car has smelled of gas.

"richard" wrote in message
ups.com...
My wife and I will be traveling to various harbors in Maine by car
this weekend with our inflatable dingy (deflated) and an old 2-horse
power outboard engine. We will arrive somewhere, inflate the boat and
spend a few hours cruising. It is a great way for us to see some
beautiful places in a very short amount of time. The outboard is so
old that it must be kept straight up or it tends to leak. My question
is: any ideas on how to travel by car with an old outboard engine? In
the past the car has smelled of gas.

Why don't you stick it on one of those bike carriers that you attach to the
tow bar? Ought to be strong enough.

"richard" wrote in message
ups.com...
My wife and I will be traveling to various harbors in Maine by car
this weekend with our inflatable dingy (deflated) and an old 2-horse
power outboard engine. We will arrive somewhere, inflate the boat and
spend a few hours cruising. It is a great way for us to see some
beautiful places in a very short amount of time. The outboard is so
old that it must be kept straight up or it tends to leak. My question
is: any ideas on how to travel by car with an old outboard engine? In
the past the car has smelled of gas.

If you had a receiver type trailer hitch, you could have a bracket made to
come
up at right angle, similar to the kind of attachment made for transporting
motorized wheel chairs, and then have a pad for attaching the motor. No
fumes
as it is riding straight up and outside of the car. If anyone looks like
they have
a question, you can always say that is the get home engine when the car runs
out of gas.

Leanne

s/v Fundy

On Jul 19, 7:35 am, richard wrote:
My wife and I will be traveling to various harbors in Maine by car
this weekend with our inflatable dingy (deflated) and an old 2-horse
power outboard engine. We will arrive somewhere, inflate the boat and
spend a few hours cruising. It is a great way for us to see some
beautiful places in a very short amount of time. The outboard is so
old that it must be kept straight up or it tends to leak. My question
is: any ideas on how to travel by car with an old outboard engine? In
the past the car has smelled of gas.

What a fun trip you have planned and economical way to "cruise"! If
nothing else you could just add enough gas to putter around then run
it dry prior to storing it in the trunk. Try storing it with the
carb. side up.

roger wrote:

On Jul 19, 7:35 am, richard wrote:
My wife and I will be traveling to various harbors in Maine by car
this weekend with our inflatable dingy (deflated) and an old 2-horse
power outboard engine. We will arrive somewhere, inflate the boat and
spend a few hours cruising. It is a great way for us to see some
beautiful places in a very short amount of time. The outboard is so
old that it must be kept straight up or it tends to leak. My question
is: any ideas on how to travel by car with an old outboard engine? In
the past the car has smelled of gas.

What a fun trip you have planned and economical way to "cruise"! If
nothing else you could just add enough gas to putter around then run
it dry prior to storing it in the trunk. Try storing it with the
carb. side up.

I would add storing it with the engine head higher than the gear box.
Otherwise,
you can have residual water drain from the gear box into your cylinders and
eventually rusting them in place.

Sherwin

Put it standing upright behind the passenger's seat, and tie it to the
the headrest of the passenger seat so that it can't fall over. Worked
like a charm with mine.
(Or replace the gaskets of the filler cap and of the air vent in the
filler cap.)

On Jul 19, 4:35 am, richard wrote:
My wife and I will be traveling to various harbors in Maine by car
this weekend with our inflatable dingy (deflated) and an old 2-horse
power outboard engine. We will arrive somewhere, inflate the boat and
spend a few hours cruising. It is a great way for us to see some
beautiful places in a very short amount of time. The outboard is so
old that it must be kept straight up or it tends to leak. My question
is: any ideas on how to travel by car with an old outboard engine? In
the past the car has smelled of gas.

Outboard engine help please!! [email protected] General 13 May 26th 07 11:43 PM
Need help w/ Outboard engine ID - Thanks trainfan1 General 1 April 11th 07 09:30 PM
No electric power to outboard engine (Johnson 150 outboard) [email protected] Electronics 3 August 8th 05 10:51 PM
New Outboard Engine Pred02 General 9 May 1st 05 03:10 PM
Small outboard engine Andrew General 5 April 16th 05 09:50 PM