BoatBanter.com

-   -   small old outboard in a car (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/84242-small-old-outboard-car.html)

richard July 19th 07 11:47 AM

small old outboard in a car

My wife and I will be traveling to various harbors in Maine by car
this weekend with our inflatable dingy (deflated) and an old 2-horse
power outboard engine. We will arrive somewhere, inflate the boat and
spend a few hours cruising. It is a great way for us to see some
beautiful places in a very short amount of time. The outboard is so
old that it must be kept straight up or it tends to leak. My question
is: any ideas on how to travel by car with an old outboard engine? In
the past the car has smelled of gas. Is there any way to store it so
that it can be left in the car without stinking up the place?

Don White July 19th 07 03:53 PM

small old outboard in a car

"richard" wrote in message
ps.com...
My wife and I will be traveling to various harbors in Maine by car
this weekend with our inflatable dingy (deflated) and an old 2-horse
power outboard engine. We will arrive somewhere, inflate the boat and
spend a few hours cruising. It is a great way for us to see some
beautiful places in a very short amount of time. The outboard is so
old that it must be kept straight up or it tends to leak. My question
is: any ideas on how to travel by car with an old outboard engine? In
the past the car has smelled of gas. Is there any way to store it so
that it can be left in the car without stinking up the place?

Buy a small utility trailer to put the outboard, gas can and boat into.

Don White July 19th 07 03:59 PM

small old outboard in a car

As a bonus... with the utility trailer, you'll be able to build a stand so
your outboard doesn't have to lay down on it's side..
see my setup for the bed of my Ranger pickup:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...boardstand.jpg

William Longyard July 19th 07 04:15 PM

small old outboard in a car

"richard" wrote in message In
the past the car has smelled of gas. Is there any way to store it so
that it can be left in the car without stinking up the place?

This is a remarkably bad idea.

Bill Longyard