Colin

Default Rio Dulce

Anyone have any comments on safe the Rio Dulce is? I am looking for a place
to leave my boat for a few months? Would be interested in hearing from
anyone with first hand and/or recent experience cruising in these waters.

Thanks Colin.
Geoffrey W. Schultz

Colin,

I've kept my boat in Fronteras, Guatemala which is on the Rio Dulce for
the past 2 hurricane seasons. It's currently awaiting our return at the
end of the month. BlueJacket has been at Tortugal marina, which I
believe has the best facilities on the river. The marina has all new
docks, good power, generator backup, a very popular restaurant and is
only accessable from land via the water, making it very safe.
Electricity is billed at cost. There's a guard on duty all night long.
They have a web site at http://www.tortugal.com/

Also, you can get work done on your boat by The Shop, which is run by 2
American guys named Chris and Pat. I've had them do a lot of work, and
all of it has been of very high quality. When they do the work, it's
$25/hr. When the locals do the work (for example, varnishing), it's
$3/hr! Their web site is at http://www.riodulce.org/

Fronteras is little more than a 1 road town. But an ATM was just
installed, which make life much easier. It's a 4+ hour ride to
Guatemala city, but you can take busses there for as little as $10 or a
private car for $100. There are lots marinas in the area, and the rates
are incredibly cheap. Tortugal, which is one of the most expensive, is
$150/month, but you can find rates less than that, especially in the off
season. That rate includes a monthly wash down and regular airing of
the boat. I also have them run my systems each month.

The only problem for some people is making it into the Rio. You enter
at Livingston which has a 6'+ sand bar. You really need to time it at
high tide. We had a friend with a 7'2" draft and he made it in, but had
to be dragged across the bar by locals.

If you're intersted, please visit my web site at
http://www.geoffschultz.org/ and go into the 2002 and 2003 sections to
see photos, maps and/or read my descriptions of the area and marinas.

-- Geoff

Colin wrote in
77.135: