Doug Dotson

Default Fuel transfer/polishing pump

I am designing a fuel polishing and transfer system. My thought
is to use valves to route fuel from any tank to any tank. No
problem with that part. I want to be able to just transfer fuel
or switch in a filter to polish the fuel while transferring. Since
I can select the same tank for source and destination, I can
polish fuel in place as well. The problem comes with the selection
of a pump. I was looking at a Groco or Jabsco pump which seems
good for transfer purposes, but way exceeds the flowrate of the
filter when polishing. A Walbro fuel pump (which I have as a priming
pump now) seems like a good fit for polishing (33 GPH) but will be slow
when just transferring fuel. What happens when a 5.5 GPM pump
(Jabsco) is pushing fuel through a filter rated at 60 GPH (RACOR 500)?

Thanks!
Doug
s/v Callista

jlp2550

Why not use the engine to do it - most diesels pump 3-4 times what
they use and return it. I have a selector valve on the return to
select which tank I want it back in.

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 17:49:20 -0500, "Doug Dotson"
wrote:

[...]

Lew Hodgett

"Doug Dotson" writes:
I am designing a fuel polishing and transfer system. My thought
is to use valves to route fuel from any tank to any tank. No
problem with that part. I want to be able to just transfer fuel
or switch in a filter to polish the fuel while transferring. Since
I can select the same tank for source and destination, I can
polish fuel in place as well. The problem comes with the selection
of a pump. I was looking at a Groco or Jabsco pump which seems
good for transfer purposes, but way exceeds the flowrate of the
filter when polishing. A Walbro fuel pump (which I have as a priming
pump now) seems like a good fit for polishing (33 GPH) but will be slow
when just transferring fuel. What happens when a 5.5 GPM pump
(Jabsco) is pushing fuel through a filter rated at 60 GPH (RACOR 500)?

Have built the system above which BTW, uses a lot of 1/2" bronze ball
valves.

You solve the filter problem in a straight forward fashion.

Multiple filters (Larger than 500) in parallel to reach at least 60 GPH.

I'd built in a safety margin and shoot for at least 75 GPH.

HTH

--
Lew

Visit: http://home.earthlink.net/~lewhodgett for Pictures

LaBomba182

Subject: Fuel transfer/polishing pump
From: "Doug Dotson"

I am designing a fuel polishing and transfer system. My thought
is to use valves to route fuel from any tank to any tank. No
problem with that part. I want to be able to just transfer fuel
or switch in a filter to polish the fuel while transferring. Since
I can select the same tank for source and destination, I can
polish fuel in place as well. The problem comes with the selection
of a pump. I was looking at a Groco or Jabsco pump which seems
good for transfer purposes, but way exceeds the flowrate of the
filter when polishing. A Walbro fuel pump (which I have as a priming
pump now) seems like a good fit for polishing (33 GPH) but will be slow
when just transferring fuel. What happens when a 5.5 GPM pump
(Jabsco) is pushing fuel through a filter rated at 60 GPH (RACOR 500)?

Why not just ask Racor?
http://www.parker.com/ead/cm1.asp?cmid=392

And I believe Racors are designed to be drawn through not pushed into.
Again, ask Racor.

And fuel "polishing" is a joke IMHO.
Unless the fuel in the tank/s is well stirred up all you are doing is filtering
what is already clean, settled out fuel.

Capt. Bill
LaBomba182

jlp2550

This is so true it isn't funny - but these marina sailors don't know
that - so they invent these stupid designs - like the guy with 6 or 8
or 12 fuel tanks in a 50' boat - what total stupidity. Get a life - go
cruising - instead of being "wanna-be" naval architects.

LISTEN UP - all the **** sits on the bottom till the 1st rolly bouncy
storm - then it gets stirred into suspension - and sucked into the
filters and clogs them quickly.

BTW, throw away your epirbs and radios so you can't call someone out
into danger to rescue your stupid ass.