BoatBanter.com

-   -   Dog off dink?? (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/82405-dog-off-dink.html)

Stephen Trapani July 11th 07 08:50 PM

Dog off dink??

We have a Hunter33 with a ladder on the transom, and a fairly stable 10f
aluminum dinghy. We are thinking of taking our 70lb dog cruising this
weekend but for the life of me I can't see how to get the dog into and
out of the dink from the boat. I given up on trying to stand in the dink
while carrying the 4hp 4stroke Tohatsu and that doesn't weigh any more
than he does and it doesn't wiggle!

Anyone have a good way to handle this?

Stephen

Don White July 11th 07 09:06 PM

Dog off dink??

"Stephen Trapani" wrote in message
We have a Hunter33 with a ladder on the transom, and a fairly stable 10f
aluminum dinghy. We are thinking of taking our 70lb dog cruising this
weekend but for the life of me I can't see how to get the dog into and out
of the dink from the boat. I given up on trying to stand in the dink while
carrying the 4hp 4stroke Tohatsu and that doesn't weigh any more than he
does and it doesn't wiggle!

Anyone have a good way to handle this?

Stephen

First of all I'd buy a good quality PFD for the dog... one that has sturdy
handles meant for lifting him back into the boat.
Then I'd pull the dingy along midships and try using the boom as a crane ...
the pfd would act as the sling.
This is assuming your boom is long enough to extend over the side.
If that didn't work, I'd fabricate an 'A frame' type of lift and attach the
base feet to the stern rail so that the dog could be lowered.
Anyway, I'd get the pfd before playing around.. I bought my Springer Spaniel
one a couple weeks ago

Ruby Vee July 11th 07 09:13 PM

Dog off dink??

On 2007-07-11 15:50:36 -0400, Stephen Trapani said:

We have a Hunter33 with a ladder on the transom, and a fairly stable
10f aluminum dinghy. We are thinking of taking our 70lb dog cruising
this weekend but for the life of me I can't see how to get the dog into
and out of the dink from the boat. I given up on trying to stand in the
dink while carrying the 4hp 4stroke Tohatsu and that doesn't weigh any
more than he does and it doesn't wiggle!

Anyone have a good way to handle this?

Let the dog swim! Then the difficulty becomes getting the dog back
into the boat. Let the dog splash into the water and swim to shore.
(You didn't specify you wanted a DRY dog.) At shore, it's easy to get
the dog into the dinghy. Getting the dog from the dinghy to the boat
may be a problem, although mine could climb a ladder, if that helps.
Place the dinghy up next to the swim ladder and the dog will follow you
up the ladder. (They do have difficulty going DOWN a ladder, and I
remember my father cursing up a storm as he carried a 60 pound dog down
the ladder when he'd left it up against the side of the house and the
dogs climbed it.) My sister swears her malamute went swimming with her
off the boat and climbed the swim ladder from the water back into the
boat, but I've never actually SEEN that!

My difficulty is in convincing the standard poodle that she wants to SWIM.

Ruby
--
Ruby Vee

Focusing on the negative only gives it more power -- Chinese fortune cookie

stormtactic July 11th 07 10:21 PM

Dog off dink??

In article ,
Stephen Trapani wrote:

We have a Hunter33 with a ladder on the transom, and a fairly stable 10f
aluminum dinghy. We are thinking of taking our 70lb dog cruising this
weekend but for the life of me I can't see how to get the dog into and
out of the dink from the boat. I given up on trying to stand in the dink
while carrying the 4hp 4stroke Tohatsu and that doesn't weigh any more
than he does and it doesn't wiggle!

Anyone have a good way to handle this?

Stephen

Did you consider using the toping lift as a hoist?

Good luck

KLC Lewis July 11th 07 10:24 PM

Dog off dink??

"stormtactic" wrote in message
In article ,
Stephen Trapani wrote:

We have a Hunter33 with a ladder on the transom, and a fairly stable 10f
aluminum dinghy. We are thinking of taking our 70lb dog cruising this
weekend but for the life of me I can't see how to get the dog into and
out of the dink from the boat. I given up on trying to stand in the dink
while carrying the 4hp 4stroke Tohatsu and that doesn't weigh any more
than he does and it doesn't wiggle!

Anyone have a good way to handle this?

Stephen

Did you consider using the toping lift as a hoist?

Good luck

Or topping lift/boom/mainsheet with a sling

KLC Lewis July 12th 07 02:58 AM

Dog off dink??

"Dry 1" "spots are out "@ Vail's.com wrote in message
A bit of advice if you are able to board the dog, don't feed or water it.

That would have to be one hell of a big dog.

KLC Lewis July 14th 07 01:19 AM

Dog off dink??

"roger lothoz" wrote in message
Cut it in two part?

That would make quite a mess. I think freeze-drying would be more practical.

Molesworth July 14th 07 05:33 PM

Dog off dink??

In article ,
"KLC Lewis" wrote:

"roger lothoz" wrote in message
Cut it in two part?

That would make quite a mess. I think freeze-drying would be more practical.

Hydrogen balloons...

--
Molesworth

Rosalie B. July 15th 07 01:42 PM

Dog off dink??

Many cruisers have big dogs.

There are several ways that I have seen to deal with this.

One boat had two dinghies - one was for the dog. Their dog was
trained to climb out of the dinghy using the ladder. Unless the dog
is crippled in some way, dogs can climb ladders.

Some people - especially those that go out for extended periods of
time - train the dog to go on a small patch of artificial turf or
similar, and then rinse it off in the ocean afterwards.

The other possibility of course is to come in to a dock every night,
and rig a ramp to the dock for the dog.

There are doggy PFDs which have a harness handle on the top so you can
grab the dog by the handle to lift him if he falls overboard. That's
better than trying to hold him in your arms - just be sure he can't
slip out of the jacket.

Justin C[_2_] July 17th 07 05:45 PM

Dog off dink??

In article , Rosalie B wrote:
Many cruisers have big dogs.

There are several ways that I have seen to deal with this.

One boat had two dinghies - one was for the dog. Their dog was
trained to climb out of the dinghy using the ladder. Unless the dog
is crippled in some way, dogs can climb ladders.

Some people - especially those that go out for extended periods of
time - train the dog to go on a small patch of artificial turf or
similar, and then rinse it off in the ocean afterwards.

The other possibility of course is to come in to a dock every night,
and rig a ramp to the dock for the dog.

There are doggy PFDs which have a harness handle on the top so you can
grab the dog by the handle to lift him if he falls overboard. That's
better than trying to hold him in your arms - just be sure he can't
slip out of the jacket.

This talk of dogs on boats, I get visions of a sea-sick labrador, and a
worried owner wondering how they're going to re-hydrate a dog that
doesn't want a drink, doesn't want anything... except dry land!

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.

Capt. JG July 17th 07 07:15 PM

Dog off dink??

"Justin C" wrote in message
In article , Rosalie B wrote:
[...]

The best thing to do is not get to that spot... try short sails in calm
waters a couple of times and see how the pooch reacts, then work up to
longer, rougher trips. I did that years ago with my black lab and never had
a problem. Probably a big issue will be where to put the water, so it
doesn't slosh out of the bowl. A friend of mine doesn't bother with a bowl..
just connects a hose to his fresh water system, and the dog drinks from the
hose. It wastes a lot of water, but he just does day sailing, so it's not an
issue.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Ruby Vee July 18th 07 01:23 AM

Dog off dink??

On 2007-07-17 12:45:32 -0400, Justin C said:

In article , Rosalie B wrote:
[...]

My dogs loved the boat and didn't get seasick. Although a doggie PFD
and perhaps a short jack line would have been a good idea. More than
once a doggie went splash going after a cap that blew off someone's
head, a jumping fish or even a tennis ball some joker was teasing him
with on another boat!

Ruby

Rosalie B. July 18th 07 02:09 AM

Dog off dink??

Justin C wrote:

This talk of dogs on boats, I get visions of a sea-sick labrador, and a
worried owner wondering how they're going to re-hydrate a dog that
doesn't want a drink, doesn't want anything... except dry land!

Justin.

That's really silly. As were most of the answers to this perfectly
reasonable question.

There are some dogs that get motion sick, just like there are people
that get motion sick. Those dogs will probably also get carsick -
have not had the experience so cannot say. Some cats get motion sick
too and/or don't like the boat engine.

Labs are among the dogs that I would not expect to get seasick based
on how much they love the water. I've seen all kinds of dogs on all
kinds of boats. Jack Russell terriers, shepherds, beagles, mutts,
Golden Retrievers, and poodles. I also know people who cruise with
birds or with cats.

The biggest problem with the big dogs though is how to get them
ashore.

Molesworth July 18th 07 03:41 AM

Dog off dink??

In article 2007071720230927544-rubyvee3@comcastnet,

On 2007-07-17 12:45:32 -0400, Justin C said:

In article , Rosalie B wrote:
[...]

First time I took Della (our Lab/Basset mix) out, I worried that she'd
chase the flying fish. She was *very* interested, but just confined
herself with keen watching! She was also so well-trained that she didn't
pee for three days. I read here about the coiled ropes and when she
finally went on one I don't know who was more relieved!

--
Molesworth

Capt. JG July 18th 07 04:02 AM

Dog off dink??

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
Justin C wrote:

[...]

I would think the biggest problem would be to be able to carry enough food
for them on an extended cruise. My lab could go through 50 lbs. of kibble in
a couple of weeks. :-)

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Stephen Trapani July 18th 07 03:16 PM

Dog off dink??

Capt. JG wrote:
"Rosalie B." wrote in message
Justin C wrote:

[...]

Thanks everyone for the replies. We didn't take the dog on the weekend
cruise last weekend, but we will try, I think, on the next one. I have a
Sportcat that we haven't been using because it's too heavy to put on and
pull off the dock platform all the time, but I'm reconsidering that for
the sake of the dog. That boat is as solid as a rock. I think we'll try
the piece of astroturf trick, put it down in the cockpit then douse it
in the water and wash down the cockpit with a bucket of water too, if he
manages to use it. If not we can throw out the anchor and take him ashore.

If we decide to take him, I'll get one of those PFDs or just a harness
to lift him with. I think I can lift him if I'm up on deck. If not I'll
use the topping lift or a halyard. I can't imagine him being able to
climb up the transom ladder, but I'll sure let him try.

Hadn't though of his water dish sloshing around. I've been wanting to
hook up a hose bib to the water system and this gives me the perfect excuse!

Stephen

KLC Lewis July 18th 07 03:26 PM

Dog off dink??

[...]

For the sake of those sharing harbors with you, please don't wash the dog
poop into any area where you cannot also dump your own waste.

Stephen Trapani July 18th 07 04:07 PM

Dog off dink??

KLC Lewis wrote:
[...]

I was just referring above to urine. If we are in a harbor or marina, of
course he'll be going ashore for all of it. Duh! :-)

Stephen

KLC Lewis July 18th 07 05:30 PM

Dog off dink??

KLC Lewis wrote:
[...]

Ya, you'd think it'd be a "duh!," but I can't count the number of times I've
been in a beautiful little anchorage only to find neighbors with a dog
aboard who see nothing wrong with washing dog "solids" overboard.

Rosalie B. July 18th 07 05:42 PM

Dog off dink??

Stephen Trapani wrote:

Thanks everyone for the replies. We didn't take the dog on the weekend
cruise last weekend, but we will try, I think, on the next one. I have a
Sportcat that we haven't been using because it's too heavy to put on and
pull off the dock platform all the time, but I'm reconsidering that for
the sake of the dog. That boat is as solid as a rock. I think we'll try
the piece of astroturf trick, put it down in the cockpit then douse it

I think you will have to train him to use the astroturf. He won't get
the idea all on his own. If you are talking just about pee, then
maybe get him to pee on something at home, and take it onto the boat
so he will know that is something that he can 'mark'.

in the water and wash down the cockpit with a bucket of water too, if he
manages to use it. If not we can throw out the anchor and take him ashore.

If we decide to take him, I'll get one of those PFDs or just a harness
to lift him with. I think I can lift him if I'm up on deck. If not I'll
use the topping lift or a halyard. I can't imagine him being able to
climb up the transom ladder, but I'll sure let him try.

Try having him do some ladders at home first. Slanted at first, and
then up against the side of the house like the transom ladders.
Actually our transom ladder can be pulled out from the side of the
boat. The PO would put it from the boat to the dock and use it as a
ramp to get ashore.

Bill July 19th 07 01:58 AM

Dog off dink??

On Jul 17, 11:15 am, "Capt. JG" wrote:
"Justin C" wrote in message

In article , Rosalie B wrote:
[...]

"j" ganz - Hide quoted text -

My cousin has a bowl with a wide rim extending inward for just this
purpose. The thing is like a round plastic box with a hol ein the
middle on top to drink from. It sloshes itself right back down into
the bowl. They do make valves that get hooked to a hose bib for dogs
that when pushed let out a little water. My Dads lab drinks this way
because she will dump out any bowl of water left for her in five
minutes. They do leak a bit though.

Bill

Capt. JG July 19th 07 04:58 AM

Dog off dink??

[...]