LaBomba182

Default Technique for avoiding collision with floating debris......

From: "Denis Marier"

True, when the waves are not higher that your radar's random antenna.

?

Capt. Bill
Denis Marier

When your boat is at the bottom of a 30 feet + water crest.
the radar waves reflect back and you have no idea what is on the other side
of the crest?
You can monitor a blitz on you screen and all of a sudden it disappears as
your boat is going down the crest. Avoiding collision with floating debris
require more than a technique and electronic.
From: "Denis Marier"

From: "Denis Marier"

True, when the waves are not higher that your radar's random antenna.

?

Capt. Bill

Denis Marier

In the Bay of Fundy Its not uncommon to see whales. At night some sleeps at
the surface of the water. Some sailors stated that they have at time came
close or touch the whale's back with either the bow of the tip of the boat
keel.
Having your depth sounder on appears to keep the whales awake?? Whether
this is a sailor's legend or not I do not know. I do not waist time arguing
about this legend I just turn the echo-sounder on.
As for the abandon floating fishing nets, the damages can be costly.
Last summer the owner of a sailboat had to have the strut, shaft and
propeller fixed.
Some time, it requires diving or dry docking to replace parts and repair
what needed.

"Denis Marier" wrote in message
Containers are scaring me! I never hit one yet. But, it took me hours to
free my rudder from an old abandon fishing net floating away below the
surface. They said that these nets could have been abandon or lost during
storms years ago.
"Rosalie B." wrote in message
x-no-archive:yes (LaBomba182) wrote:

Subject: Technique for avoiding collision with floating

debris......

Please speak in complete thoughts, and maybe even cite real life

examples to
support your claim that this could even happen.

OK, I can.
I saw a 76 foot Lazzara at the factory yard being reworked after it hit

submerged container in, as I recall, broad daylight.
Is that good enough for you?

We frequently have objects that we do not see strike the hull in the
Dismal Swamp canal. Sometimes they hit around the bow and we can hear
them roll back to the stern. Sometimes they even set off the depth
sounder. Never have been able to see any of them. I've always
contended that they were dead bodies, but I suppose they would
eventually float up to the surface if they were.

grandma Rosalie

LaBomba182

From: "Denis Marier"

When your boat is at the bottom of a 30 feet + water crest.
the radar waves reflect back and you have no idea what is on the other side
of the crest?

True.

You can monitor a blitz on you screen

"blitz" = blip?

and all of a sudden it disappears as
your boat is going down the crest. Avoiding collision with floating debris
require more than a technique and electronic.

True. If I am read you correctly.

Capt. Bill

LaBomba182