Default heating water

I've just installed a 65lt hot water tank, it has 2 heating coils and an
immersion. I haven't got around to connecting the 2 heating coils so for now
it runs on just a 1 kw immersion heater... I connected up my 1.2kw
generator ( just a cheapy from B&Q, not a marine genset) and it took 2 hours
to get warm and about 3 hours to hot.... For no very good reason I had
thought it would heat in about an hour. I have tried looking up calorific
values of water etc, but just got myself confused... anybody here shed
some light for me..

thanks
Nigel

Nigel wrote:
I've just installed a 65lt hot water tank, it has 2 heating coils and an
immersion. I haven't got around to connecting the 2 heating coils so for now
it runs on just a 1 kw immersion heater... I connected up my 1.2kw
generator ( just a cheapy from B&Q, not a marine genset) and it took 2 hours
to get warm and about 3 hours to hot.... For no very good reason I had
thought it would heat in about an hour. I have tried looking up calorific
values of water etc, but just got myself confused... anybody here shed
some light for me..

thanks
Nigel

Hi Nigel,

If 65 lt is about 130 pounds, and you
raise the temperature about 100 degrees
F, you're using about 13,000 BTU.

One kw is about 3,414 BTU/hour, so it
should take about four hours.

Close enough?

Sorry for mixing metric with regular.

Chuck

* Nigel wrote, On 6/19/2007 2:27 AM:
I've just installed a 65lt hot water tank, it has 2 heating coils and an
immersion. I haven't got around to connecting the 2 heating coils so for now
it runs on just a 1 kw immersion heater... I connected up my 1.2kw
generator ( just a cheapy from B&Q, not a marine genset) and it took 2 hours
to get warm and about 3 hours to hot.... For no very good reason I had
thought it would heat in about an hour. I have tried looking up calorific
values of water etc, but just got myself confused... anybody here shed
some light for me..

I'm not sure if this applies to your setup, but here's a couple of
things I learned from mine: First, my water lines go up from the
engine to the H/W heater, allowing for the possibility of an air
bubble at the top, reducing flow. If possible, this point should be
accessible to purge the line.

Second, although the water is well heated when the engine is working
hard (11 gals heated to 150+ easily in under an hour - if its already
warm it only takes 20 minutes to get hot) when the engine is used for
battery charging it never gets quite hot enough, and thus never quite
does the job. Fortunately, in the summer "warm" is good enough.

Second, although the water is well heated when the engine is working
hard (11 gals heated to 150+ easily in under an hour - if its already
warm it only takes 20 minutes to get hot) when the engine is used for
battery charging it never gets quite hot enough, and thus never quite
does the job

Heh, not a problem here. Twin 6.0L V8's get that water PLENTY hot in no
time flat.

"Nigel" wrote in
:

I've just installed a 65lt hot water tank, it has 2 heating coils and
an immersion. I haven't got around to connecting the 2 heating coils
so for now it runs on just a 1 kw immersion heater... I connected up
my 1.2kw generator ( just a cheapy from B&Q, not a marine genset) and
it took 2 hours to get warm and about 3 hours to hot.... For no very
good reason I had thought it would heat in about an hour. I have tried
looking up calorific values of water etc, but just got myself
confused... anybody here shed some light for me..

thanks
Nigel

My countertop distiller has a 4 litre boiler with a 1500 watt heater in
its base. It takes it about 35 minutes to start it boiling so you can
hear it and about 5 hours to boil it dry....only 4 litres. 1KW isn't
much power to heat water. Look on your home water heater. Mine's 240VAC
and 8KW and takes over an hour to recover from my honey's "warmup
shower"...(c;

She thinks hot water tanks are like NiCd batteries....you gotta drain
them until they are dead to prevent them from failing!

Larry
--
http://www.spp.gov/
The end of the USA and its Constitution....RIP

Look on your home water heater. Mine's 240VAC
and 8KW and takes over an hour to recover from my honey's "warmup
shower"...(c;

Which isn't a direct comparison since the volume of water in a home hot
water heater is CONSIDERABLY larger than what you'd likely have in a boat.