Cindy Ballreich

Default Campbel Sailor Prop

I was wondering if anyone out there would care to share their
experiences with the Campbell Sailor three bladded prop.

We currently have a "traditional" three bladed prop and get black
smoke at high rpms. We are not able to get the maximum rpms our
engine is rated for (Yanmar 3GMF). Several people have suggested
that we are over-propped and the Campbell seems like an
attractive replacement. Are are still exploring other possible
causes for these problems (suggestions?), but the propeller
problem seems the most likely.

The boat is a Baba 30 - full keel with a prop aperture.

Cindy

--
the return email is a spam trap
send legit emails to cindy_at_ballreich_dot_net

Jere Lull

Cindy Ballreich wrote:

I was wondering if anyone out there would care to share their
experiences with the Campbell Sailor three bladded prop.

We currently have a "traditional" three bladed prop and get black
smoke at high rpms. We are not able to get the maximum rpms our engine
is rated for (Yanmar 3GMF). Several people have suggested that we are
over-propped and the Campbell seems like an attractive replacement.
Are are still exploring other possible causes for these problems
(suggestions?), but the propeller problem seems the most likely.

The boat is a Baba 30 - full keel with a prop aperture.

I'd probably get the prop repitched first. We had a great experience
with Black Dog Props, who use computer modeling and measurement.

Also, make sure the hull and prop are clean when you test. A couple of
weeks ago, after a month of non-use, we suddenly couldn't pull more than
3000 rpm without massive amounts of smoke. (usually pull 3400) After an
hour or two, we got a bit more speed, but I'm sure our bottom and prop
were filthy.

--
Jere Lull

Lloyd Sumpter

"Cindy Ballreich" wrote in message
I was wondering if anyone out there would care to share their
experiences with the Campbell Sailor three bladded prop.

We currently have a "traditional" three bladed prop and get black
smoke at high rpms. We are not able to get the maximum rpms our
engine is rated for (Yanmar 3GMF). Several people have suggested
that we are over-propped and the Campbell seems like an
attractive replacement. Are are still exploring other possible
causes for these problems (suggestions?), but the propeller
problem seems the most likely.

Has it always been this way, or is this a recent problem? Have you
checked the injectors?

If it's recent, it's probably not the prop. Otherwise, if you're
otherwise happy with the existing prop, just re-pitch it. I have a
Campbell Sailor on Far Cove, but I have so many other problems I can't
judge the prop. I've heard Good Things and Bad Things. If it means
anything, I'm almost sure I'll be getting another Campbell Sailor
when I get my new engine. (And they're built right here on the West Coast,
so I like that!)

If you want to put out the bux, my other alternative is the AutostreaM -
it's a feathering prop that you can easily adjust the pitch, even
underwater. But it's $2500 CDN...

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36

Cindy Ballreich

Lloyd Sumpter wrote:

Has it always been this way, or is this a recent problem? Have you
checked the injectors?

It's been this way since we bought the boat 6 months ago. The
injectors may also be a problem, but I really don't know. The
engine seems to run fairly smoothly other than a couple of speeds
where it shakes a bit.

If it's recent, it's probably not the prop. Otherwise, if you're
otherwise happy with the existing prop, just re-pitch it. I have a
Campbell Sailor on Far Cove, but I have so many other problems I can't
judge the prop. I've heard Good Things and Bad Things. If it means
anything, I'm almost sure I'll be getting another Campbell Sailor
when I get my new engine. (And they're built right here on the West Coast,
so I like that!)

I can't say that we're happy with the current prop because of the
pitch related problems. It seems awfully big and and I'm sure the
drag affects our sailing speed. We found a 2 bladed prop on the
boat when we bought her. We suspect that this may have been the
original prop. We may try swapping the props just to see what
happens, but I think the 2 blade won't be very effective on this
boat.

Like you, there may be more than one factor contributing to our
problem. This is very frustrating because you can fix something
that needs to be fixed and instead of noticing an improvement,
you only find something else that needs repair or replacement but
was masked by the previous problem. (Don't mention fuel systems
around my husband!)

I guess what I'm looking for is for someone to say "hey, I bought
a Campbell prop and everything was better!" It doesn't sound like
that's what you are saying. What "good things and bad things"
have you heard about this prop?

If you want to put out the bux, my other alternative is the AutostreaM -
it's a feathering prop that you can easily adjust the pitch, even
underwater. But it's $2500 CDN...

That's a bit rich for us right now! ;-)

Thanks!

Cindy