BoatBanter.com

-   -   LaVac and replacement (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/8157-lavac-replacement.html)

Skip Gundlach November 18th 03 03:56 AM

LaVac and replacement

We're looking at a boat with these heads, probably new. However, the piping
(apparently) needed for them, and the pump, both, on the wall, is very
off-putting to Lydia.

That they're part of a recent refit is an annoyance, but my stance is that
to replace marine heads is merely background noise in a purchase
consideration.

BICBW :{))

So, how big a deal is it to swap these out for the more typical pumpers?

L8R

Skip

Peggie Hall November 18th 03 04:10 AM

LaVac and replacement

Skip Gundlach wrote:
We're looking at a boat with these heads, probably new. However, the piping
(apparently) needed for them, and the pump, both, on the wall, is very
off-putting to Lydia.

That they're part of a recent refit is an annoyance, but my stance is that
to replace marine heads is merely background noise in a purchase
consideration.
So, how big a deal is it to swap these out for the more typical pumpers?

Weelll...the good news is, you can prob'ly get a good price for
relatively new Lavacs on eBay. Sell 'em separately and be sure to
include the pumps. Someone here might even want 'em.

Since you have to re-hose anyway, it's not that much more of a job to
replace the toilets. In fact, that's the easiest part of the job.

As long as you have to do it, now would also be the best time to make
any needed changes (if any)in the layout of the sanitation system. I'll
be glad to help you do it if you want to get with me via email.

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Skip Gundlach November 18th 03 04:23 AM

LaVac and replacement

Thanks - I'll come back at you if I can resurrect the interest, and we buy
it. BTW, I still have you at sbcglobal in my address book - is that
correct?

L8R

Skip, former lake-mate

Peggie Hall November 18th 03 06:28 AM

LaVac and replacement

Skip Gundlach wrote:
Thanks - I'll come back at you if I can resurrect the interest, and we buy
it. BTW, I still have you at sbcglobal in my address book - is that
correct?

Stick a dot after "peg" to get my new address.

Peggie
----------

Karin Conover-Lewis November 18th 03 02:39 PM

LaVac and replacement

Skip

Swapping out a Lavac with a "regular pumper" isn't any more difficult than
the other way around, but the first time you have to rebuild the innards of
that "regular pumper" you'll be kicking yourself, hard. There's really
nothing in the Lavac that can break down or wear out, with the exception of
the huge (and dry) gaskets that seal the lid and seat. They are very
difficult to clog and very easy to repair. No joker valves soaking in
effluent, no little tiny o rings or any of that stuff. From time to time
you'll need to rebuild the diaphragm pump, but it's probably mounted on the
bulkhead above the bowl and stays dry most of the time -- particularly while
you're doing that quick overhaul.

Tell Lydia it's a boat, not a condo. If she is adamant, hide the hoses
behind a false bulkhead. ;-)

--
Karin Conover-Lewis
Fair and Balanced since 1959

"Skip Gundlach"
.due.to.spam wrote in
message ink.net...

Peggie Hall November 18th 03 05:14 PM

LaVac and replacement

Karin Conover-Lewis wrote:
Skip

Swapping out a Lavac with a "regular pumper" isn't any more difficult than
the other way around, but the first time you have to rebuild the innards of
that "regular pumper" you'll be kicking yourself, hard. There's really
nothing in the Lavac that can break down or wear out, with the exception of
the huge (and dry) gaskets that seal the lid and seat. They are very
difficult to clog and very easy to repair. No joker valves soaking in
effluent, no little tiny o rings or any of that stuff. From time to time
you'll need to rebuild the diaphragm pump, but it's probably mounted on the
bulkhead above the bowl and stays dry most of the time -- particularly while
you're doing that quick overhaul.

Why would rebuilding a remote diaphragm pump every 5 years that's just
as likely to have waste left in it as any other toilet pump be a more
pleasant or easier job than rebuilding any other toilet pump? As for
joker valve soaking in effluent, flushing would have to be so minimal as
to leave waste still sitting in the bowl for that to happen.

While it IS true that diaphragm pumps require less
maintenance--primarily when it comes to lubrication--than
piston/cylinder pumps, the only toilet BOWL that requires any at all is
the Lavac. And a good quality piston/cylinder pump shouldn't require
rebuilding any more often than a diaphragm pump, provided it is kept
properly lubricated. 99% of problems with toilets (and most other things
on a boat too) are self-inflicted by owners--neglect...attempting to
flush things that household toilets may be able to swallow, but marine
toilets can't...and cheap equipment.

The Lavac is an excellent toilet, but it's not necessarily the best
toilet for everyone in all situations...no toilet is. The "best" toilet
for any boat depends on who's gonna use it, and a whole bunch of
factors...not the least of which is comfort level with its operation.
And the "right" toilet for a novice bride whose husband is hoping to
turn into a blue water sailor in time can always be replaced later when
she's ready to accept something different. Meanwhile, it's important
that she be as comfortable with using the boat's equipment as possible,
or she may never get there.

Peggie
----------

Steven Dubnoff November 18th 03 08:07 PM

LaVac and replacement

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 03:56:44 GMT, "Skip Gundlach"

We're looking at a boat with these heads, probably new. However, the piping
(apparently) needed for them, and the pump, both, on the wall, is very
off-putting to Lydia.

I would not remove these until you have had a chance to use them for a
while. I had them on my last boat and they were extremely reliable.
The mechanism is simple and reliable and it takes a real genuine
effort to clog these up. Overall, I highly recommend them.

Best,

Steve

Steven Dubnoff
Circle Systems We make your data instantly usable.
Download Stat/Transfer from
http://www.stattransfer.com
1001 Fourth Avenue, #3200 (206) 682-3783
Seattle, WA 98154 Fax (206) 328-4788

Bruce November 18th 03 10:45 PM

LaVac and replacement

Skip
What kind of boat did you buy?
Bruce
See how our Endeavour is progressing at
www.cruisinglife.net/horizonproject.htm
"Skip Gundlach"
.due.to.spam wrote in
message ink.net...

Jeff Morris November 18th 03 11:46 PM

LaVac and replacement

It's not a lot of extra piping, the only real difference is that the pump on a Lavac is
usually mounted vertically on a bulkhead beside the head.

Skip Gundlach November 19th 03 02:21 AM

LaVac and replacement

"Bruce" wrote in message
Skip
What kind of boat did you buy?

We haven't yet. We had an accepted offer on a Mason 43 which Lydia rejected
based on the teak and stern cabin redo needed. We expect the deposit back
this week.

We've (well, I've) been on an additional nearly-60 boats this past couple of
weeks, however, and the E43 is one of our candidates. There's several other
candidates, but they're either bigger than we want, more expensive than we
want, or more teak, and in some cases all three.

So, in any event, we've now got options, at least, whereas before we had
only one boat which we'd been aboard which 'fit' us. I'm finishing this
round of search in a couple of weeks. Likely I'll not go to Texas, as it's
a huge distance for only a couple of unique (not duplicated somewhere else
in our list) boats, and the story about the Morgan (in another thread) which
was misrepresented makes me very reluctant to go somewhere remote for
something I'm not sure I'll want to see.

In this trip, I was exposed to additional boats which had not been on our
list when I set out; two of them are on our target list, but one's been
removed (the Mason). It's coming along... The next trip will have us on
another 10 or so boats (make, model) under 40' which we've not yet been
aboard, and I've dumped the ones over 45 that I'd added in frustration in
our prior failures.

However, with the exception of Delaware to Maine, we'll have effectively
covered the East and Gulf coast. That ought to do it for us, and then it
will be a matter of our doing some triangulation to figure out what we want
vs what we'll have to give up among the boats we've found which *can* work.
At this time, there's about 5 types which we've found that work for us.
We're hopeful of adding at least a few more in the under-40 class and will
likely have several more over 40 as well.

By the time I'm finished, I will have been aboard over 250 boats, out of
about 350 initially selected from about 2500 possibilities (length,
location, price), in three trips (searches, really, as this search will take
two or three trips and the last search was two trips). Just as in buying
houses, the hundred-item rule is in effect. After having been aboard that
many, I can tell in about a minute if a boat will be interesting to me, and
in about 5, determine whether I want to pursue it beyond a swift walk
through, and in about 10 if I want to do a full workup on it. Before I even
attempt to see one, I've done research on the type, and have good reason to
believe that it will work for us.

Of course, as you've seen in other threads, the number of times that reality
meets presentation is pretty small - but I regard that as all just part of
the exercise. However, once *this* part of the exercise is finished, we'll
be able to attack the surviving types and make reasonable evaluations
between apples and oranges, so to speak.

I'm in the process of developing an appraisal equivalent format. That is,
each feature and spec of significance to us, whether positive or negative,
will be given a value. Just as in a real estate appraisal, where more in a
property being compared represents a deduction against the candidate, and
vice versa, we expect we should be able to quantify what really winds our
clock, and evaluate how best to pursue any given boat. After that, it's gut
feeling (which one do we really *love*?) :{))

I'm going to start another thread with this, too, as it's getting a bit far
afield of toilets :{))

L8R

Skip (and Lydia)

Lew Hodgett November 19th 03 03:05 AM

LaVac and replacement

"Skip Gundlach" writes:

We're looking at a boat with these heads, probably new. However, the

piping
(apparently) needed for them, and the pump, both, on the wall, is very
off-putting to Lydia.

Suggest she get a life.

There is Lavac and those that when they grow up wish they could be Lavac.

--
Lew

Visit: http://home.earthlink.net/~lewhodgett for Pictures

[email protected] November 21st 03 03:05 PM

LaVac and replacement

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 08:39:35 -0600, "Karin Conover-Lewis"
wrote:

Skip

Swapping out a Lavac with a "regular pumper" isn't any more difficult than
the other way around, but the first time you have to rebuild the innards of
that "regular pumper" you'll be kicking yourself, hard. There's really
nothing in the Lavac that can break down or wear out, with the exception of
the huge (and dry) gaskets that seal the lid and seat. They are very
difficult to clog and very easy to repair. No joker valves soaking in
effluent, no little tiny o rings or any of that stuff. From time to time
you'll need to rebuild the diaphragm pump, but it's probably mounted on the
bulkhead above the bowl and stays dry most of the time -- particularly while
you're doing that quick overhaul.

Tell Lydia it's a boat, not a condo. If she is adamant, hide the hoses
behind a false bulkhead. ;-)

That's very good advice. I had heard reasons NOT to install a Lavac
that revolve around peculiarities of installation, price and so on,
but never has anyone suggested removing a fully functional one.

Their simplicity is their best advertisement. Also, in a pinch, they
make a great bilge pump. "THE TOILET THAT MAY SAVE YOUR
LIFE"...there's a slogan for the missus...

R.

[email protected] November 21st 03 03:09 PM

LaVac and replacement

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 02:21:50 GMT, "Skip Gundlach"
.due.to.spam wrote:

I'm in the process of developing an appraisal equivalent format. That is,
each feature and spec of significance to us, whether positive or negative,
will be given a value. Just as in a real estate appraisal, where more in a
property being compared represents a deduction against the candidate, and
vice versa, we expect we should be able to quantify what really winds our
clock, and evaluate how best to pursue any given boat. After that, it's gut
feeling (which one do we really *love*?) :{))

You might have a book or two in you at this rate, certainly a series
of articles. I would enjoy reading your appraisal/evaluation forms or
notes when you finish them

R.

Michael Davis December 8th 03 05:12 AM

LaVac and replacement

Hi Skip,

If you purchase the boat and need to get rid of these troublesome heads drop
me a message and we will make a deal.. I wish to upgrade my current heads to
Lavacs. Are this manual or electric or both?

Mike

"Skip Gundlach"
.due.to.spam wrote in
message ink.net...