Bill Bradley

Default Taking Your Car Cruising

Has anyone (outside of Navy Landing Craft) designed a cruising style boat
that will carry a car?

RV'er haul their cars, why not cruisers?

Bill

Leanne

"Bill Bradley" wrote in message
Has anyone (outside of Navy Landing Craft) designed a cruising style boat
that will carry a car?

Bill,

Look up designs by Jay Benford and you will see a couple of crusiers
that show a car on the foredeck in the cargo area. The olny problem I see is
how are going to off load it when most docks in the south are narrow floating
type. Up in New England where they have the fixed piers you can go alongside.

Leanne Bradley - No relation, I think
S/V Fundy

Doug Dotson

I have a freind that drives a Jeep onto his foredeck. His cruising
boat is a refitted tug that he and his wife run from the Great Lakes
down to FL. 7' draft limits things a bit but it is a pretty comfortable
and capable boat.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Bill Bradley" wrote in message
Has anyone (outside of Navy Landing Craft) designed a cruising style boat
that will carry a car?

RV'er haul their cars, why not cruisers?

Bill

Steve

Look into Jay Benfords "Little Ships"..

More of a coffee table book for the dreaming couch potatoe.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Steve

While I was 'day dreaming' and looking at Jay's "Little Ships" I noted that
he had a big hydraulic crane on the foredeck.

I guess that with the shallow bow draft, a skipper could bring the bow into
a launch ramp and set the car/jeep off in the very shallow water.

Myself, I have been carring a moutain bike around, lashed to the rigging..
However I am concerned when I have to haul it around in the inflatable.
Afraid that something pertruding might punture the dingy.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Don W

Bill,

I think the problem is not so much carrying the car (if you have a
large enough boat). The problem is how your car is going to react
to months of salt spray and intense sunshine.

Some friends of ours took their bicycles crusing, and because of
space considerations on their Hunter 38, ended up lashing them to
the deck along with their dinghy. The bicycles were so hopelessly
rusted after a few weeks that they ended up heaving them overboard.
At least that is the way that I remember the story ;-).

YMMV,

Don W.