Default Right of way?

"otnmbrd" wrote in message
25.201...
Keith wrote in news:1180183370.019044.242480
@m36g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

Nobody has the "right of way". You're a stand-on or give-way vessel.
Of course, you wouldn't expect a %^$^% jet ski operator to know
that. ;-)
Here's a solution:

Not 100% correct

Correct. When it appears that maintaining course will result in a collision,
both vessels are singally required to do whatever it takes to avoid that
collision. At that point, "stand-on" or "give-way" is moot, other than in
court.

"KLC Lewis" wrote in
et:

"otnmbrd" wrote in message
25.201...
Keith wrote in
news:1180183370.019044.242480 @m36g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

Nobody has the "right of way". You're a stand-on or give-way vessel.
Of course, you wouldn't expect a %^$^% jet ski operator to know
that. ;-)
Here's a solution:

Not 100% correct

Correct. When it appears that maintaining course will result in a
collision, both vessels are singally required to do whatever it takes
to avoid that collision. At that point, "stand-on" or "give-way" is
moot, other than in court.

Although what you say is basically true, what I was referring to was the
term "right of way"...... it is still used in Rule 9 Inland USA

"otnmbrd" wrote in message
25.201...
"KLC Lewis" wrote in
et:

"otnmbrd" wrote in message
25.201...
Keith wrote in
news:1180183370.019044.242480 @m36g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

Nobody has the "right of way". You're a stand-on or give-way vessel.
Of course, you wouldn't expect a %^$^% jet ski operator to know
that. ;-)
Here's a solution:

Not 100% correct

Correct. When it appears that maintaining course will result in a
collision, both vessels are singally required to do whatever it takes
to avoid that collision. At that point, "stand-on" or "give-way" is
moot, other than in court.

Although what you say is basically true, what I was referring to was the
term "right of way"...... it is still used in Rule 9 Inland USA

It's also used in Rule 14 (d) Head-on Situation.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On Sat, 26 May 2007 10:49:10 -0500, "KLC Lewis"
wrote:

"otnmbrd" wrote in message
. 125.201...
Keith wrote in news:1180183370.019044.242480
@m36g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

Nobody has the "right of way". You're a stand-on or give-way vessel.
Of course, you wouldn't expect a %^$^% jet ski operator to know
that. ;-)
Here's a solution:

Not 100% correct

Correct. When it appears that maintaining course will result in a collision,
both vessels are singally required to do whatever it takes to avoid that
collision. At that point, "stand-on" or "give-way" is moot, other than in
court.

In fact there was a case in the Singapore court a few years back where
two vessels in a controlled port traffic system were both deemed to be
in the wrong. One vessel for deviating from the specified channel and
ignoring instructions of the traffic controller, and the second for
not taking all possible action to avoid the collision.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeatgmaildotcom)

On May 26, 8:42 am, Keith wrote:
On May 26, 7:15 am, "Roger Long" wrote:

Now I know how the large commercial operators must feel some times.

I was motoring at five knots when a jet ski came roaring across my bow from
starboard at about full speed for those things. As he went by at 30 knots,
he screamed, "You %$#@* (reproductive reference) (feminine hygine
reference), I had the right of way!

Huh. Who ever heard of a jet ski operator even knowing that there was such a
thing? Our speed disparity was such that any course or speed alteration I
could have made wouldn't have significantly altered my status as an
essentially stationary object. His course was dead straight and the passing
distance wasn't any less than is typical for these buzz bombs.

Nice to know that one of these bozos has read a boating book though.

--
Roger Long

Nobody has the "right of way". You're a stand-on or give-way vessel.
Of course, you wouldn't expect a %^$^% jet ski operator to know
that. ;-)

Here in New York State, all us pwc operators/enthusiasts know that
because we have to pass a boating safety course certification test in
order to legally operate our boats (pwc's). In my opinion it should
be that way in all states for all boaters (regardless of the size and
shape of their hulls)....just like for automobile drivers.

Maybe I haven't thought it through deeply enough, but I don't mind
being stopped and checked to see that I have a fire extinguisher, my
certification license, registration and all other required safety
equipment; the rules make sense and it's a good idea to make sure that
people know them and are obeying them. I always appreciate the chance
to make a good impression (and dispel certain stereotypes)on behalf of
all my fellow educated, responsible pwc'ers.

richforman

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 13:10:58 -0700, richforman
wrote:

I always appreciate the chance
to make a good impression (and dispel certain stereotypes)on behalf of
all my fellow educated, responsible pwc'ers.

I know we've had this conversation before but you've got an uphill
battle ahead of you in regard to stereotypes.

One of our local, responsible, PWC'ers managed to decapitate himself
last week while running through a mooring area at speed.

http://www.nbc-2.com/Articles/readar...d=12910&z=3&p=

wrote:

I always appreciate the chance
to make a good impression (and dispel certain stereotypes)on behalf of
all my fellow educated, responsible pwc'ers.

I know we've had this conversation before but you've got an uphill
battle ahead of you in regard to stereotypes.

One of our local, responsible, PWC'ers managed to decapitate himself
last week while running through a mooring area at speed.

http://www.nbc-2.com/Articles/readar...d=12910&z=3&p=

Yes, but he learned his lesson and won't do it again!

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message
link.net...
wrote:

I always appreciate the chance
to make a good impression (and dispel certain stereotypes)on behalf of
all my fellow educated, responsible pwc'ers.

I know we've had this conversation before but you've got an uphill
battle ahead of you in regard to stereotypes.

One of our local, responsible, PWC'ers managed to decapitate himself
last week while running through a mooring area at speed.

http://www.nbc-2.com/Articles/readar...d=12910&z=3&p=

Yes, but he learned his lesson and won't do it again!

Yeah, but all his buddies are saying, "Wow, that's sooo cool." g?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On Jun 12, 5:38 pm, Wayne.B wrote:
On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 13:10:58
wrote:

I always appreciate the chance
to make a good impression (and dispel certain stereotypes)on behalf of
all my fellow educated, responsible pwc'ers.

I know we've had this conversation before but you've got an uphill
battle ahead of you in regard to stereotypes.

One of our local, responsible, PWC'ers managed to decapitate himself
last week while running through a mooring area at speed.

http://www.nbc-2.com/Articles/readar...d=12910&z=3&p=

That is horrible (but then obviously he wasn't one of the responsible
and safe-operating ones I referred to....I didn't mean to imply that
all pwc'ers fell in that category, if it sounded that way I wasn't
expressing myself quite clearly.) At any rate, of course in any
segment of boaters (not just pwc's) we could come up with lots of
recent stories of people hurting and killing themselves and others by
doing stupid dangerous irresponsible things and not knowing how to
conduct themselves on the water.

richforman