Default Cold-Molded Hulls?

Another thing to check is whether your insurance carrier will insure
WOOD. It can be an issue.

On May 21, 4:29 am, wrote:
Another thing to check is whether your insurance carrier will insure
WOOD. It can be an issue.

"Cold molded" boats are fiber reinforced plastic (FRP), not wood.
This isn't just semantics. Cold molding wood strips or veneers
produces monocoque structures with properties somewhere between low
density cored and solid glass fiber reinforced plastic (GRP)
construction and not at all like traditional wooden structures. In
the same way, cold molding strands of fiberglass produces a structure
that isn't at all like glass. Cold molded wood fiber boats are a
subset of FRP and "composite" construction just like fiberglass
boats. Of course, I have no idea if any particular insurance company
will cover the boat, but unless they have a policy of not covering
balsa or cedar cored boats or boats with structural plywood they are
being inconsistent if they deny coverage of cold molded boats because
they are "wood".

-- Tom.

On May 21, 4:20 pm, " wrote:
On May 21, 4:29 am, wrote:

[...]

All I said was" consider". A friend of mine runs a large composite
method yard, and He told me about it. This info was offered as
something to be aware of not to start a **** fight. I am not in the
habit of entering discussions whose subject is something I know not of.

All I said was" consider". A friend of mine runs a large composite
method yard, and He told me about it. This info was offered as
something to be aware of not to start a **** fight. ...

My bad. I certainly don't mean to start a fight on this either. I
think your advice about checking with the insurer is good. I was just
trying to add some detail for the OP in case he wanted to "reason"
with his surveyor or insurance agent... No flame was intended and I'm
sorry to have offended you.

-- Tom.