Default 6KW quiet cabinet diesel...

http://www.usdieselengines.com/6000-...nerator-sound-
attenuated.htm

I was in Pep Boys to buy some new wiper blades for the stepvan/shop in
the rain. It was a big mistake......not the wipers, Pep Boys.....(sigh)

They had these diesel gensets on special for $1599.....big mistake.

I had to ask 5 people about it before a store manager finally showed up
to find out what the ruckus was about. Hey, I'm not buying just wiper
blades, you know! I wanted to HEAR it run. After more ruckus, and when
he figured out I wasn't leaving without hearing it run, he relented. Pep
Boys is a full auto shop with mechanics...car mechanics, but mechanics
none-the-less, and LOCAL within the required distance to invoke Federal
warranty law, if necessary.

Well, we rolled the HEAVY BEAST out into the shop on its 4 little wheels
(It's NOT going to roll across the lawn at 350#, EVER!) and, as I would
probably buy it if it sounded ok, I insisted we use Rotella T, not that
cheap car crap they were about to put into it...to fill it with oil.
They didn't have any diesel fuel, so I drove up the street with a can and
got 3 gallons of #2 to prime it and run it for a while. (If it wasn't
going to prime, of course, I wasn't going to buy...smart) The book,
(click the pdf from the website above for the book) said how to prime it,
which was about just filling the NICE FUEL FILTER then pull the
compression lever to open until the pump finally primed itself to take
the load off the starter. (Oh, we had to fill the DRY battery, first,
too.)

The mechanics had never primed a new diesel, so it was also a training
session in case someone ELSE bought the 2nd one they were going to sell,
someday. Fuel filter full, compression in release position, cranked it
for about 60 seconds. Closed compression handle and pressed the preheat
button for 3 minutes, unnecessarily I've found out, to make sure we had
enough heat. We did...it did....Took right off. We found 2 1500 watt
heaters the mechanics use in winter to load test it. At 3KW, it wasn't
even breathing hard....even new.

Well, needless to say, two wiper blades cost over $1600 at Pep Boys and
I'm ready for the Southeast USA hurricane season, 2007. It's powering
two window ACs and the rest of my little Oakwood 70 dock condo, INCLUDING
the electric water heater (220V) and Jenn-Aire Grille-Range without
maxing out. (I built a man killer for it. Pull the main house breaker,
then backfeed 120-0-120 from the genset's twistlock 240V 30A connector to
my 240V electric dryer outlet for now.) I'm trying to run the rest of
the diesel fuel out of it, tonight, so I can test it on FREE frying oil
thinned with mineral spirits the Mercedes diesels run great on by
tomorrow.....FREE POWER beats nuclear, even...(c; I'll install a
permanent 240V 50A outlet by its position this week to backfeed the house
for emergency power.

My neighbor came over to see it run and was stepping off how far it was
from where I'm going to chain it to the patio to his house...in case the
lights go out. No noise complaints about running the generator from co-
conspirators, here...(c;

ON TOPIC - Man this would make a nice little boat genset. All the
hardware is STAINLESS STEEL! The painted cabinet is galvanized under the
paint and there's corrosion protection all over it. The exhaust comes,
look at the picture, out a little pipe with a rain hat on it that would
be REAL EASY to plumb out a dry stack overboard! The heat all comes out
in one place, and isn't that hot it couldn't be just vented up through a
vent the size of a home dryer....or into a COLD CABIN or COCKPIT for you
Yankees tryin to stay warm! With the exhaust separately vented overboard
in a pipe, the cooling air from the little diesel would recover ALL the
heat from your diesel fuel investment in winter! The ultimate "diesel
heater"....that produces 5,500 watts of 60Hz SERIOUS POWER for living
aboard.

Oh, there's a "remote start kit" available for it, but no
autostart...It's a portable genset, you know. And it WASN'T $6000!

How do they make an electric start, automatic regulated, DIESEL genset
that retails so cheap?! Time will tell how long it will run before it
dies. We'll see......

Damn! $1600 for wiper blades! How awful!....(sigh)
Now I got 3 generators, again. Honda EU1000I, Honda EU3000is and the
DIESEL BEAST! After Hugo, I promised myself I would NEVER sit in the
DARK...ever again!

Larry, President
French Fried Power and Light, LLC

"Garland Gray II" wrote in news:%6t3i.610$gM1.89
@newsfe21.lga:

Interesting.
I don't suppose the engine is anything we have heard of before ??

Do you have a Mandarin Chinese font?....(c;

I could send you a jpg of it, but we probably would never be able to
pronounce it.

The odd part about it is it looks so very well made. It doesn't look
like those roughly-made Chinese outboards with belt drives on farm
engines. Set side-by-side with one of my Hondas, which are amazingly
expensive, this thing is very similar in quality and appearance.

And, at midnight, it's STILL running on what little fuel oil I poured
down its gullet at the store! I don't have much of a load on it,
now...maybe 500 watts. Of course, it's still running 3600 RPM, but is
really quiet at this load. I'll shut it down before I go to bed. I
don't want to have to prime it, ever again....(c;

Larry
--
Grade School Physics Factoid:
A building cannot freefall into its own footprint without
Bil Bil is offline

On May 19, 12:03 pm, Larry wrote:

Do you have a Mandarin Chinese font?....(c;

No such thing. 'Mandarin' is a distorted Portuguese-Malay word that
Anglophones use to distinguish spoken modern standard Chinese (aka
putonghua) from regional Chinese languages (some of which are dialects
and some are distinct languages).

Chinese fonts can be divided into full-form (aka traditional) or
simplified.

I could send you a jpg of it, but we probably would never be able to
pronounce it.

Give us a try, Larry.

The odd part about it is it looks so very well made.

I think ETQ engines are made by Changzhou Machinery and Equipment
Corp. in Changzhou, Jiangsu. The engine should carry info plates
revealing the necessary details.

What does it mean when usdiesels.com promotes Chinese diesel engines?

Bil wrote in news:1179559908.497597.11310
@q23g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

I think ETQ engines are made by Changzhou Machinery and Equipment
Corp. in Changzhou, Jiangsu. The engine should carry info plates
revealing the necessary details.

What does it mean when usdiesels.com promotes Chinese diesel engines?

One wonders whether usdiesels IS a Chinese company. Remember the old
joke "Made in USA"? Usa, Japan?....(c;

I would have to disassemble the quiet cabinet to see any kind of plate
you're looking for. Maybe when its first major service is due as I'll be
doing it.

Oh, by the way, since 1200GMT, it's been buzzing along pulling my trailer
home on the English-VAT-inspired vegetable oil and mineral spirits
concoction I'm using in my old Mercedes diesel cars at the moment,
unmodified. It runs quieter with lots less diesel knock because the
veggie oil burns slower than dino diesel, just like the cars. I can't
tell how much glowplugging I'll have to do to start it because it had
diesel #2 in its injection pump when it was cold this morning. I simply
drained off what diesel #2 was in it and recharged it on veggie mix when
it was cold. By the time the veggie hit the injectors, it was partially
warmed up. You could hear when it happened as the knocking softened...
(c;

I'm effectively powering my home for free, at the moment, at least fuel-
wize. It's not a solution at 3600 RPM because the cheap little genset
would certainly not last long enough to make it economical in the long
run. However, if one had a nice old commercial diesel genset running on
veggie oil for free, at $US2.80/US gallon now, it's tempting. At some
point around $US5/US gallon, I think a veggie diesel genset would easily
pay for its maintenance and overhaul...a matter of economy. Electricity
in Charleston, SC, USA, is over $US0.10/Kwh at my house. My bill is
around $US70-100/month, mostly depending on outside air temperature with
heating and air conditioning. Free fuel in abundance sure makes such
thoughts interesting.

South Carolina has dragged it ass...er, ah, feet...in forcing its power
companies to buy electric power from consumers with a surplus from
alternative sources until now. There is a bill the power companies are
hell bent on squashing in our state legislature, now, to bring this state
up to the national level doing just that. Many other places in the USA
force their power companies to buy power from anyone who has it to sell
at a wholesale rate. I know a ham radio operator in New England whos
family has owned a little power dam and hydroelectric plant along a nice
little river for 70 years. He supports a very nice lifestyle selling his
power to, first the town the dam provides a recreational lake to, then
the state power grid under a state law. Only under real drought
conditions, when the water coming downriver is low, does he have to buy
power for his plant and his home, conveniently located on the lake
alongside the dam his family has provided. I believe "set for life" also
applies to his children from the really antique alternators that have
Westinghouse on all the machines and cabinets. Nikola Tesla would be
very proud..(c;

Larry - Chief Mate
French Fried Power & Light

Bil Bil is offline

On May 20, 1:17 am, Larry wrote:

One wonders whether usdiesels IS a Chinese company. Remember the old
joke "Made in USA"? Usa, Japan?....(c;

http://www.chinamet.com.cn/en/comlist/gold/profile.jsp?
companyid=2148 says Changzhou Machinery & Equipment established a
branch in the U.S.A (and a few other nations).

Perhaps usdiesels.com is it!

Cheers

Bil

On Sat, 19 May 2007 01:23:48 +0000, Larry wrote:

http://www.usdieselengines.com/6000-...nerator-sound-
attenuated.htm

I was in Pep Boys to buy some new wiper blades for the stepvan/shop in
the rain. It was a big mistake......not the wipers, Pep Boys.....(sigh)

They had these diesel gensets on special for $1599.....big mistake.

================

At 3600 RPM and air cooled, it's not likely to have super longevity

Wayne.B wrote in
:

At 3600 RPM and air cooled, it's not likely to have super longevity

But, then again, at $1500, approximately 1/4 the cost of the usual diesel
genset in this class, you can replace it 4 times to the break-even point,
spreading out your operating cost over many years, not at at the outset.

Others have posted about the company that made it. The company has an
ISO9003 certification for quality. The longer it runs this weekend, the
more impressed I've become that it's not the junk the Chinese are famous
for.

Remember when you bought something Korean or Taiwanese or Japanese and it
was made of tin cans? Now, they make the finest machines on the
planet...cars, ships, trains, manufacturing machines, earth moving
equipment. I think the Chinese, now operating more of a capitalistic
business environment, are headed down that same road.....with millions of
slaves to make it happen.

Larry
--
I still can't believe it costs $1600 microdollarettes and starts right
up! Converting 1600 2007 dollars to 1970 dollars would put this diesel

On Sun, 20 May 2007 05:51:09 +0000, Larry wrote:

at $1500, approximately 1/4 the cost of the usual diesel
genset in this class, you can replace it 4 times to the break-even point,
spreading out your operating cost over many years, not at at the outset.

Here's my take on the numbers.

Let's assume a 1500 hour life which may be optimistic. That means you
are paying $1 per hour for equipment amortization which is more than
20 cents per kwh even if all your fuel is free. Fuel at current
prices would add another 20 or 30 cents.

Generating your own electricity is not cost effective if you can buy
it for 10 cents per kwh.

Wayne.B wrote in
:

On Sun, 20 May 2007 05:51:09 +0000, Larry wrote:

at $1500, approximately 1/4 the cost of the usual diesel
genset in this class, you can replace it 4 times to the break-even
point, spreading out your operating cost over many years, not at at
the outset.

Here's my take on the numbers.

Let's assume a 1500 hour life which may be optimistic. That means you
are paying $1 per hour for equipment amortization which is more than
20 cents per kwh even if all your fuel is free. Fuel at current
prices would add another 20 or 30 cents.

Generating your own electricity is not cost effective if you can buy
it for 10 cents per kwh.

Do you think it's only going to last 62.5 days?! 1500/24 hours per day =
62.5 days! Maybe we should be more optimistic and add a zero to make it
15,000 hours. That's still only 1.7 years....

Now, using that figure instead of a two month life span, that puts it at
..10/hour for 5.2KW of power. Let's say a half load, 3Kwh for 10 cents
(free fuel but I'd have to add in some maintenance, oil changes, filter
changes, etc. so it's not accurate). That's only 3.33c/Kwh, 1/3 what
South Carolina Electric and Gouge charges, right? It gets cheaper as
load increases and less as load decreases, par value about 1000W of
load....

The numbers look different at 15,000 hours....not an unheard of diesel
runtime if you change the oil every 100 hours like you're supposed to and
service the air filter and oil strainer per the book. This little diesel
probably won't run that long, but I'm not sure. There's at LEAST 4000
hours on my Honda EU3000is gas genset on an air-cooled gas engine of no
particular great note....It still starts instantly, when called for. I
run it a lot all summer and in winter loaded with a 1500 watt electric
heater to keep my feet warm at work. I've never even changed its spark
plug! The spare is in a drawer in the truck.

Larry
--
Metallurgy has come a long way in the last 20 years.....

Electric trolling motors Bob S Boat Building 7 February 3rd 07 03:20 PM
Marine algae derived enzymes as diesel catalysts.......... [email protected] General 1 May 23rd 06 05:15 AM
How does work diesel engine.? zee-qi General 19 July 8th 05 01:12 PM
The Diesel Engine winder General 3 January 23rd 05 02:59 PM
Diesel outboard? Jack Rye Cruising 4 August 28th 03 08:34 PM