Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Main traveller and companionway?

Hi,

I'm looking at mainly a Cal27 or maybe a Crown28, and both have what I
see might be a problem: they both have the main traveller just aft of
the companionway. I've looked around, and there doesn't seem to be
another place for it without seriously compromising sail-ability.

Now, at anchor or at the dock, the mainsheet can be moved out of the
way. But underway (and of COURSE you're sailing upwind - damn
Murphy!), doesn't the mainsheet get in the way when trying to get in
and out of the cabin?

What's your experience on this? I've seen many boats with the
traveller in this position: is it less of a problem than it looks? Or
do you just not go below when underway?

druid
http://www.bcboatnet.org