BoatBanter.com

-   -   Survey missed bubbles in gel coat or recently developed (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/80504-survey-missed-bubbles-gel-coat-recently-developed.html)

Mark May 10th 07 01:32 PM

Survey missed bubbles in gel coat or recently developed

A friend purchased a small cruiser last spring and had it surveyed. While
getting ready for this spring's launch and applying anitfouling wax she
noticed bubbles in the gelcoat. Contacting the person who did the survey,
they said they would have a look at it again on the 20th of May with her
regular mechanic. In the meantime....

1) The surveyor said the bubbles in the gelcoat were not visible last spring
and did not show up with sounding, and that maybe there was an electrical
problem at our marina that affected the hull (causing the bubbles to form).
She responded and said not other boats at the marina were affected. Could
this phenomenon occur, or what are other typical causes of bubbles to form
in the gelcoat?

2) Is there any recourse against the surveyor if the bubbles were missed
during the survey. (I believe the surveyor is from the Kingston or
Belleville area)?

Mark (the rail, canopy, & lifeline hook guy)
www.ripnet.com/vtf/prod03.htm

Rosalie B. May 10th 07 02:51 PM

"Mark" wrote:

A friend purchased a small cruiser last spring and had it surveyed. While
getting ready for this spring's launch and applying anitfouling wax she
noticed bubbles in the gelcoat. Contacting the person who did the survey,
they said they would have a look at it again on the 20th of May with her
regular mechanic. In the meantime....

1) The surveyor said the bubbles in the gelcoat were not visible last spring
and did not show up with sounding, and that maybe there was an electrical

Did the buyer see the bubbles? Were they there during the survey? If
not why not? If the buyer did not see the bubbles, why would the
surveyor have seen them?

problem at our marina that affected the hull (causing the bubbles to form).
She responded and said not other boats at the marina were affected. Could
this phenomenon occur, or what are other typical causes of bubbles to form
in the gelcoat?

2) Is there any recourse against the surveyor if the bubbles were missed
during the survey. (I believe the surveyor is from the Kingston or
Belleville area)?

Mark (the rail, canopy, & lifeline hook guy)
www.ripnet.com/vtf/prod03.htm

We had bubbles in our gelcoat at the survey - the surveyor pointed
them out to us. Have never seen them since. Bob has concluded that
they were just water bubbles under the paint.

Mark May 10th 07 04:40 PM

Survey missed bubbles in gel coat or recently developed

The buyer nor the surveyor saw the bubbles last spring, so we do not know if
the bubbles have developed since then (or why) or if they were overlooked by
the surveyor. The surveyor was hired to closely inspect the boat for
potential problems that could otherwise be overlooked by the buyer (the
buyer knew she did not know enough about boats to recognize this type of
problem). Now that she is getting more familiar with the details of the
boat (such applying the bottom wax herself), she is seeing more and asking
more. The bubbles might not even be an issue until the "expert" (the
surveyor) re-inspects the boat. The questions I am asking are merely to
help her (and myself) understand if and how bubbles can start to form, or
were they potentially ovelooked (raising the question of the value of
getting a survey done).

Ernest Scribbler May 10th 07 07:10 PM

Survey missed bubbles in gel coat or recently developed

"Mark" wrote
The questions I am asking are merely to help her (and myself) understand
if and how bubbles can start to form, or were they potentially ovelooked
(raising the question of the value of getting a survey done).

When you say bubbles, are you talking about gel-coat blisters, or something
else? There's lots of info online about blistering, much of it conflicting.

Mark May 10th 07 07:48 PM

Survey missed bubbles in gel coat or recently developed

I have not seen the (as she referrs to them) "bubbles" yet myself, but will
ask her to show me this weekend. I have been fortunate not to run into
this problem with my own boat (yet), but as you say, there is lots if info
available online, much of it conflicting. This is part of the reason I
posted to the newsgroups, to get some general guidenace, direction, and
first hand experience from the user's side (versus from the various sales
pitches from mechanics and surveyors).

Any guidance or suggestions (good websites or articles) in the interim would
be much appreciated, and help us prepare to ask the right questions.
Thanks in advance.

Mark

"Ernest Scribbler" wrote in message
et...
"Mark" wrote

Wilbur Hubbard May 10th 07 08:29 PM

"Mark" wrote in message
[...]

Mark, you're an idiot. Your very first concern seems to be how to stick
it to a surveyor just because the boat developed some small gel coat
blisters around the waterline. If you didn't see them or the surveyor
didn't see them during the time of the survey then it stands to reason
they weren't there. If you need a surveyor to see something you should
be able to see yourself then what good are YOU? All these stupid people
these days getting into boating just disgust me. You morons are lowering
the bar with your whining and your ignorance and your refusal to take
personal responsibility. Go away already. Stay off the water before your
infantile, imbecilic attitude ends up costing you your life or the life
of some innocent who just had the misfortune to be in your way.

You seem to be suggesting the surveyor should have foreseen the
blisters. Give us a break, you stupid ******. Take some freaking
responsibility for once. Quit trying to blame things on somebody else.
Boy, you dim bulb liberals sure are screwing up the entire country
lately. Why don't you people just shut your ignorant pie holes and go
away.

Geez! Some little waterline gelcoat blisters and he acts like it's the
end of the world. Somebody slap some sense into this loser, please.

Wilbur Hubbard

Ernest Scribbler May 10th 07 09:13 PM

Survey missed bubbles in gel coat or recently developed

"Mark" wrote
Any guidance or suggestions (good websites or articles) in the interim
would be much appreciated, and help us prepare to ask the right questions.

From what I've seen, it's entirely plausible that some blistering might
develop during a single season after not being there at all in the
pre-season survey.

Stephen Trapani May 10th 07 09:19 PM

Wilbur Hubbard wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message
[...]

Before I bought my boat I had it surveyed and the surveyor never
mentioned the condition of my seacocks in his list of problems with the
boat. I called him up and asked him about them and he got very
defensive, especially after my question: Where are they?

He rattled off three locations and after I got off the phone I looked in
those three places, they were not there. I looked around and eventually
located them. The one for the head had the handle off of it, so he
probably didn't test it. The one for the engine water intake was a
rusted ball valve which, when I tried to close it, snapped off in my
hand with hardly any pressure. The third was okay.

Suffice it so say, just because the surveyor and new boat owner don't
know something, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Stephen

Wayne.B May 10th 07 09:24 PM

Survey missed bubbles in gel coat or recently developed

On Thu, 10 May 2007 16:13:01 -0400, "Ernest Scribbler"
wrote:

From what I've seen, it's entirely plausible that some blistering might
develop during a single season after not being there at all in the
pre-season survey.

Absolutely. It's not uncommon in my experience for somy minor
blisters to form over the winter and then disappear again when the
boat goes in the water. Even if they don't disappear this is hardly a
federal case.

Gordon May 10th 07 10:04 PM

Wayne.B wrote:
On Thu, 10 May 2007 16:13:01 -0400, "Ernest Scribbler"
wrote:

From what I've seen, it's entirely plausible that some blistering might
develop during a single season after not being there at all in the
pre-season survey.

Absolutely. It's not uncommon in my experience for somy minor
blisters to form over the winter and then disappear again when the
boat goes in the water. Even if they don't disappear this is hardly a
federal case.

When you get a survey, you normally sign a paper saying the surveyor
is not responsible for any screwups.
There are a ton of lousy surveyors out there. Be sure and survey your
surveyors before hiring.
Gordon