Panama

Default Burglar-intrusion alarms for boats

I'm looking for design ideas and components for an intrusion alarm for
the boat. A friend bought 2 IR xmit and 2 IR receiver units to mount
in the cockpit, but my thought is that irregular sunlight bouncing off
waves, etc is going to set this arrangement off.

Peggie Hall

Panama wrote:
I'm looking for design ideas and components for an intrusion alarm for
the boat. A friend bought 2 IR xmit and 2 IR receiver units to mount
in the cockpit, but my thought is that irregular sunlight bouncing off
waves, etc is going to set this arrangement off.

Thieves and vandals prefer the cover of darkness, making a motion sensor
light the most effective deterrent. Break the beam, the boat is flooded
with it. Higher end motion sensors can be adjusted for the amount of
"bulk" required to break the beam, which would prevent birds and flying
insects from setting 'em off.

--
Peggie
----------

gary

If you are cruising:

While in Mexico through to Panama I rigged up two fishing lines
strung to cloths pins around both sides of the boat. If the line was pulled
the end of it was a wooden piece of cloths pin that separated two screw contacts
in another cloths pin. Pull the stick out and the contacts (small bolts )
touch. On the back of the screws were connected wires to the bildge alarm.

It worked great, including the night in Punta Arenas Costa Rica when I came
back and forgot to step over it and woke everone on the boat.
----------

The other is a small yap yap dog. I hate em, but they are not electronic
and their batteries don't fail. When buddy boating they also yap when
someone approaches another boat. The potty problem is solved by getting a
chunk of hemp rope and coiling it on the deck. Dog does it's thing and then
throw the rope over to be washed by the sea.

I am sure there are a bunch of electronic stuff. But knowing electronics,
if it can fail it will fail. One year in the Long Beach CA to La Paz Mex.
race. One Hour after the gun went off, the sum log, and wind indicator.
We DR'd the coast of Baja in a fog for the race. This was long before
GPS, all I could use was sextant.

I skipper charter boats in the carib now. GPS is so amazing.

Gary

Peggie Hall wrote in message ...
Panama wrote:
I'm looking for design ideas and components for an intrusion alarm for
the boat. A friend bought 2 IR xmit and 2 IR receiver units to mount
in the cockpit, but my thought is that irregular sunlight bouncing off
waves, etc is going to set this arrangement off.

Thieves and vandals prefer the cover of darkness, making a motion sensor
light the most effective deterrent. Break the beam, the boat is flooded
with it. Higher end motion sensors can be adjusted for the amount of
"bulk" required to break the beam, which would prevent birds and flying
insects from setting 'em off.

Bob La Londe

There are a couple guys who hang out in news:alt.security.alarms who have
done some really comprehensive boat alarms including monitoring using
cellular communications designed for alarm purposes.

Obviously communications may not work when off the coast of some desert
island in the middle of nowhere, but it works well when at your home
anchorage.

--
Bob La Londe
Yuma, Az

"Panama" wrote in message
I'm looking for design ideas and components for an intrusion alarm for
the boat. A friend bought 2 IR xmit and 2 IR receiver units to mount
in the cockpit, but my thought is that irregular sunlight bouncing off
waves, etc is going to set this arrangement off.

Dick Locke

On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 09:24:12 -0800, Panama wrote:

I'm looking for design ideas and components for an intrusion alarm for
the boat. A friend bought 2 IR xmit and 2 IR receiver units to mount
in the cockpit, but my thought is that irregular sunlight bouncing off
waves, etc is going to set this arrangement off.

The previous owner of our boat installed two radio shack motion
detectors on the overhead aimed at the entry hatches. I haven't felt
the need to use them yet, but I wonder if anyone has some comments on
that approach. We have a cat on board but haven't trained it to bark
yet.

He also installed a switch for major deck lighting at the main
stateroom berth. I think that would help in a crowded anchorage.

L. M. Rappaport

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 18:05:49 GMT, Dick Locke
wrote (with possible editing):

On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 09:24:12 -0800, Panama wrote:

I'm looking for design ideas and components for an intrusion alarm for
the boat. A friend bought 2 IR xmit and 2 IR receiver units to mount
in the cockpit, but my thought is that irregular sunlight bouncing off
waves, etc is going to set this arrangement off.

The previous owner of our boat installed two radio shack motion
detectors on the overhead aimed at the entry hatches. I haven't felt
the need to use them yet, but I wonder if anyone has some comments on
that approach. We have a cat on board but haven't trained it to bark
yet.

He also installed a switch for major deck lighting at the main
stateroom berth. I think that would help in a crowded anchorage.

Two problems:

1. The cat might set off the motion detectors.
2. RS isn't known much for quality.

Paradox DG75 are reliable motion detectors with pet immunity, but I'm
not at all sure how they would hold up in a marine environment.
--

Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com