S/V Tranquility

Default Shower water consumption

Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message:
"Then turn off the water while you soap up and turn it on again to rense."
Glenn, I think the Southern accent is showing!!!

Jim Woodward

I suspect that you'll use much less -- the shower head figures assume house
water pressures and boats are typically much less.

On Swee****er, between Panama and Papeete, with three people aboard (one
man, two women, no long hair) we averaged 15 gallons a day total
consumption, which included daily showers, drinking, cooking, etc. The
policy was, "use all the water you want, but don't waste it". And of course,
this was in the tropics -- you can get away with less in cool climates.

Make sure you install a shower head on the end of a hose so you can aim it
all over -- this helps to make up for the low pressure.

--
Jim Woodward
www.mvFintry.com

..
..
"Lloyd Sumpter" wrote in message
news
Hi,

Far Cove is set up for a shower, but was never installed. I was looking
at "low-flow" showerheads, and they say they use 2.5gpm. Egad - for a
5-min shower that's over 10 gallons! Far Cove has 50gal of water, and I'm
thinking of addding another 20gal tank, but still: 10 gals per shower??

Is this realistic? What is a practical estimate of how much water an
on-board shower will take?

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36

Keith

That's at some estimated pressure. I've got my fresh water pump set to about
25 psi or so, and the low flow shower heads are REALLY low flow at that
pressure. Plus they have the button to turn them on and off.

"Lloyd Sumpter" wrote in message
news
Hi,

Far Cove is set up for a shower, but was never installed. I was looking
at "low-flow" showerheads, and they say they use 2.5gpm. Egad - for a
5-min shower that's over 10 gallons! Far Cove has 50gal of water, and I'm
thinking of addding another 20gal tank, but still: 10 gals per shower??

Is this realistic? What is a practical estimate of how much water an
on-board shower will take?

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36

DSK

Lloyd Sumpter wrote:

....... looking
at "low-flow" showerheads, and they say they use 2.5gpm. Egad - for a
5-min shower that's over 10 gallons! Far Cove has 50gal of water, and I'm
thinking of addding another 20gal tank, but still: 10 gals per shower??

Is this realistic? What is a practical estimate of how much water an
on-board shower will take?

Nobody mentioned the best way to save water when showering, which is to start
with a small bucket of warm soapy water (can even be seawater) and wash down
with that. Only use the fresh water shower for rinsing off the soap & dirt &
salt. You can use less than 1 gallon per shower. Also saves energy going into
the water heater.

In a warm climate, you can shower on the transom platform and rinse quite
thoroughly using a garden sprinkler or spray bottle.

Taking a hot shower is one of the pleasures of civilization. No point in
cruising without it IMHO.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Glenn Ashmore

DSK wrote:

Nobody mentioned the best way to save water when showering, which is

to start
with a small bucket of warm soapy water (can even be seawater) and
wash down with that. Only use the fresh water shower for rinsing off
the soap & dirt & salt. You can use less than 1 gallon per shower.
Also saves energy going into the water heater.

In a warm climate, you can shower on the transom platform and rinse
quite thoroughly using a garden sprinkler or spray bottle.

Taking a hot shower is one of the pleasures of civilization. No point
in cruising without it IMHO.

The problem with that in a mixed crew is that naked women on deck tend
to distract the helmsman. :-)

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Wim

"that naked women on deck tend
: to distract the helmsman. :-)"

You aren't planning a swimplatform?
Keeps the helmsman focussed and the navigator..........well...?
--
c ya Wim
www.cruising.ca/thousand/f-index.html

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
newsoDqb.9400$62.811@lakeread04...
:
:
: DSK wrote:
:
: Nobody mentioned the best way to save water when showering, which is
: to start
: with a small bucket of warm soapy water (can even be seawater) and
: wash down with that. Only use the fresh water shower for rinsing off
: the soap & dirt & salt. You can use less than 1 gallon per shower.
: Also saves energy going into the water heater.
:
: In a warm climate, you can shower on the transom platform and rinse
: quite thoroughly using a garden sprinkler or spray bottle.
:
: Taking a hot shower is one of the pleasures of civilization. No point
: in cruising without it IMHO.
:
: The problem with that in a mixed crew is that naked women on deck tend
: to distract the helmsman. :-)
:
: --
: Glenn Ashmore
:
: I'm building a 45' cutter in strip/composite. Watch my progress (or lack
: there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com
: Shameless Commercial Division: http://www.spade-anchor-us.com
: