Keith

Default International Health Insurance Feedback Wanted

Think any of these guys will write a policy for someone with pre-existing
conditions like Diabetes? I'm in Texas, and getting private insurance was
impossible... had to go into the assigned risk pool with Blue Cross / Blue
Shield. Don't know yet if they cover me out of the country.

OTOH, the cost of health care most anywhere outside the U.S. is so much
cheaper.

"Geoffrey W. Schultz" wrote in message
7.77...
Thanks, but that's where I got the information about insurance companies
offering such policies. I contacted Dan Cassin (888-724-5427) and he
provided lots of printed information about the various policies.
However, what I'm looking for is actual feedback on people's experience
with these companies.

-- Geoff

(Gerald Simons) wrote in
m:

Geoffrey, if you can get your hands on last month's Oct issue of Blue
Water Sailing magazine, there was an article regarding medical
insurance for cruisers. I would offer to send my copy but I rip out
sections and toss the rest (I keep mag's front cover for easy
reference as an index). Might be worth checking their website in case
it's there somewhere.
Regards
Gerald

"Geoffrey W. Schultz" wrote in message
9.17...
My current health insurance is only supposed to cover me for a
maxiumum 30 day trip outside of the US. I've been skirting that and
luckily haven't had to file any claims. This next year I expect to
be gone for 11 months as I'm headed to the South Pacific, and I need
to do this right. I've been looking at various true international
policies and was wondering if anyone has any feedback on either of
these policies.

The two plans that I like the best are the "International Citizen
Platinum" which is underwritten by Lloyds of London and "Global
Medical Insurance" underwritten by International Medical Group (IMG).
Both plans are very similiar on paper, but I have no idea how they
are to work with. If anyone has any feedback, I'd be very interested
in hearing it.

As an aside, I've also looked at "Reside Prime", "Worldwide
Navigator" and "Lifeboat" which are underwritten by Speciality Risk
International (SRI) and decided against them due to the requirements
of using their provider network when in the US.

-- Geoff
www.geoffschultz.org

Geoffrey W. Schultz

I believe that all of these plans had a $50,000 max for pre-existing
conditions. Good luck!

-- Geoff

"Keith" wrote in
:

[...]

I think if you check DAN now you see a big increase in $ cost and a
big reduction in policy coverage compared to 97.

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 01:31:41 -0500, "Schoonertrash"
wrote:

A useful policy is the D.A.N or Divers Assistance Network offer. Two parts.
The first covers diving related medical needs something not always covered
by other policies. This includes decompression chambers and the like. The
second covers world wide medevac for any injury or illness. This covers
getting you back to the home area where your standard policy will be useful.
In '97 it was, memory serving, about $70 a year. Not sure what the current
cost may be.

Diver or not the second half is well worth it.

MST

Geoffrey W. Schultz

I just checked their web site at

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/insurance/compare.asp

and noted that none of the plans contain medical evacuation. However, the
policy pricing ranges from $25 to $70.

-- Geoff

" hi-there wrote in
:

wrote:

A useful policy is the D.A.N or Divers Assistance Network offer. Two
parts. The first covers diving related medical needs something not
always covered by other policies. This includes decompression
chambers and the like. The second covers world wide medevac for any
injury or illness. This covers getting you back to the home area
where your standard policy will be useful. In '97 it was, memory
serving, about $70 a year. Not sure what the current cost may be.

Diver or not the second half is well worth it.

MST

Now - Non-dive accident coverage is limited to $10K lifetime, - only
avail on the premium coverage at $70 - I don''t remember what it was
10 years ago but it was way more.