Jim Woodward

Default Cheap And Nasty Snorkel extension

We met an interesting and inventive guy on our trip through the Panama Canal
who dealt with this by making his own electric hookah -- take one Jabsco
diaphragm bilge pump, attach hose and a SCUBA mouthpiece and presto, you
have cheap device that will work down a few feet. You want a diaphragm bilge
pump, not a pressure water pump, because the former is relatively high
volume, low pressure.

We used a "real" hookah from Brownie for work on the boat. Vast overkill.

For Fintry, I'm thinking about using a commercial oil-less compressor
(Porter Cable, for example) which will run air tools and, through a filter
(same filters we use on our tank-fill compressor) drive a low pressure hose
for use down to ten feet or so.

--
Jim Woodward
www.mvFintry.com

..
"Lloyd Sumpter" wrote in message
news
Hi,

Whenever I need to work on my prop, etc. underwater, I've just slapped
on the mask and fins and held my breath. But I've always wondered: why not
rig up a hose arrangement to be able to breathe? We're not talking 50-ft
depths here, so I'd think it would be pretty safe. Perhaps some kind of
non-collapsable hose on the end of a snorkel?

Does anyone do this? Why or why not?

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36

Glenn Ashmore

I put together a filter system for a remote source pressure demand face
mask that I use when spraying 2 part LPU. All from modular Speedair
filters from Grainger. It starts with a general purpose
separator/filter then a regulator, then a coalescing filter to remove
oil and another general purpose filter with a carbon element to grab any
remaining VOCs. Same series as used on a $2K MSA air source for a total
cost of about $120.

With a little oilless compressor on deck it would make a very acceptable
air source for bottom cleaning.

Jim Woodward wrote:

We met an interesting and inventive guy on our trip through the Panama Canal
who dealt with this by making his own electric hookah -- take one Jabsco
diaphragm bilge pump, attach hose and a SCUBA mouthpiece and presto, you
have cheap device that will work down a few feet. You want a diaphragm bilge
pump, not a pressure water pump, because the former is relatively high
volume, low pressure.

We used a "real" hookah from Brownie for work on the boat. Vast overkill.

For Fintry, I'm thinking about using a commercial oil-less compressor
(Porter Cable, for example) which will run air tools and, through a filter
(same filters we use on our tank-fill compressor) drive a low pressure hose
for use down to ten feet or so.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

LaBomba182

Subject: Cheap And Nasty Snorkel extension
From: Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen

"GA" == Glenn Ashmore writes:

GA It would be extremely dificult if not impossible to breath through
GA hose at surface pressure if your lungs get more than 2 or 3 feet
under
GA water. The difference at 3' is only about 1.5 pounds per square inch
GA but the water is pressing on a couple thousand square inches of
lung
GA surface.

The real problem is the "dead volume" in your snorkel. You will be
inhaling your own breath over and over again.

No, the real problem is just as Glenn has stated.

Capt. Bill
LaBomba182

LaBomba182

From: "Lloyd Sumpter"

Hi,

Whenever I need to work on my prop, etc. underwater, I've just slapped
on the mask and fins and held my breath. But I've always wondered: why not
rig up a hose arrangement to be able to breathe? We're not talking 50-ft
depths here, so I'd think it would be pretty safe. Perhaps some kind of
non-collapsable hose on the end of a snorkel?

Does anyone do this? Why or why not?

Try it and let us know how it works. :-)

Capt. Bill
LaBomba182

LaBomba182

From: "Lloyd Sumpter"

lI'm guessing most of the respondents here have never "snorkel-dove" (ie
mask, fins, hold your breath) to do prop/rudder repairs, etc.

Based on your topic question I would guess you fall in that group. :-)

So I guess, Updated Question: How DO you do "maintenance" on your prop,
rudder, etc. underwater? "Snorkel-dive"? Scuba? Pay someone else? Survey
says...

It depends on what I have to do and how long it will take me. My props are 4
feet underwater so sometimes I snorkel and sometimes I use my tanks or my hooka
rig.

Capt. Bil

LaBomba182

LaBomba182

From: "Don White"

I've wondered about the small bottles of compressed air complete with a
mouthpiece that emergency crews might carry.
Not sure if they are for 'fire' use or to revive a patient.
Could they be used for Lloyd's application?

Perhaps, but there are so expensive (about $200
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detai...eferer=CHEAP01)
and they hold so little gas that you would be better off getting a "real" scuba
rig.

Capt. Bill