-hh -hh is offline

Default Ever heard of Pickles Bank (Caribbean)?

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to find information on a location known a "Pickles Bank".

Its in the Caribbean, reportedly within a hundred or so miles of
Cayman Brac / Little Cayman.

My *guess* would be to the north, towards Cuba, but there's supposedly
some small uninhabited low-lying islands someplace to the south too,
where Braccers used to collect seabird eggs back in the 1920's and
1920's (IIRC, there's a description in the book "Storm of '32").

Since I'm a scuba diver and not a cruiser, I don't have regional
navigation maps that would hopefully reveal this location. My
interest is because I may have a way of visiting this area to do some
dives on it, so I'm trying to find out if its something "interesting"
or not: ie, is it a coral encrusted deepwater pinnicle in heavy
currents, or is it just a sand flat, etc?

Long/Lat, anything else would be appreciated.

TIA,

-hh

Pickles Bank is located at:

20 deg 23.469 min N
080 deg 27.108 min W

about 79.3 NM northeast on course 43 deg mag of Grand Cayman

Good Luck

Ansley Sawyer
SV Pacem

-hh -hh is offline

On Apr 11, 11:35 am, "Ansley W. Sawyer" wrote:
Pickles Bank is located at:

20 deg 23.469 min N
080 deg 27.108 min W

about 79.3 NM northeast on course 43 deg mag of Grand Cayman

Got it. Looks like Cayman Brac is roughly 19 41'N by 79 53'W, so its
around a 60 status mile run. Probably be 3.5 hours out, 4.5 hours
back, plus the time on station.

-hh

"-hh" wrote in
ups.com:

Pickles Bank

Google is so much fun....(c;

I found Abanks' Diving on Little Cayman
tel 345-945-1444
FAX 345-945-3319

96 S Church Street
Little Cayman Island.
http://www.abanks.com.ky/ is dead as their website.

Give 'em a jingle and ask 'em! They'll know exactly where it is if it
exists...I bet.

Larry

"-hh" wrote in
ups.com:

Pickles Bank

The yacht club might help you find it, too!
http://www.caymanislands.ky/vacation...aspx?pid=36171

Hope it's deep enough for those big Morgan yachts to sail over without
going aground, again....(c;

Larry

-hh -hh is offline

Larry wrote:
"-hh" wrote

Pickles Bank

Google is so much fun....(c;

I found Abanks' Diving on Little Cayman
tel 345-945-1444
FAX 345-945-3319

96 S Church Street
Little Cayman Island.http://www.abanks.com.ky/is dead as their website.

Doesn't matter if they're DOA, since there is no "Church Street" on
Little Cayman. I did some checking and it turns out that the above
address is over in Georgetown, Grand Cayman.

Give 'em a jingle and ask 'em! They'll know exactly where it is if it
exists...I bet.

The Dive Operators don't know, but this makes sense because all three
(3) of the Cayman Islands are functionally deepwater pinnacles, so
there's no diving more than a 1/2 mile or so offshore because you're
beyond the dropoff, and with two exceptions, all of them are just
dayboats.

For an example of the local topology, here's a sounding map of western
Cayman Brac; depths are in feet. The island is roughly a mile wide,
so you can see that the 200ft line is only ~400yds (1/4 mile) offshore
and the 1000ft line is only a mile offsho

http://www.huntzinger.com/photo/2003/brac/cayman_brac_depths.jpg

Here's another look at the same info (Excel graph); two miles out, you
have 3000ft of water under your keel:

http://www.huntzinger.com/photo/2003/brac/brac_depths.jpg

With no water shallow enough for diving after you're a 1/2 mile
offshore and figuratively speaking, "Cuba", the dive operations have
generally no interest and thus, no knowledge. The furthest offshore
that they generally ever get is to make the 5 mile crossing of the
Bogue between Cayman Brac and Little Cayman.

I have done some more of my own digging and found that "Pickle Bank"
is another name/spelling.

http://rwsmaps.griffel.se/CoverageArea.jpg
http://greenwood.cr.usgs.gov/energy/...K/spatial/pdf/
caribbean.pdf

http://www.caymannetnews.com/Archive...icles/February
%202001/Issue%2060/picklebank.html
states:

[after an 8 hour transit from Rum Point, Grand Cayman]: "Pickle Bank,
located Northeast of Grand Cayman and approximately 85 miles South of
Cuba, is actually the top of a submerged seamount about three miles
long and one mile wide. The undersea mountain rises up from the ocean
floor 6,000 feet below, ascending to within 72 feet of the surface.
The shallow water environment attracts a multitude of small fish and
reef dwelling life, that in turn attracts the predators in the form of
shark, barracuda, tuna, dolphin, marlin and wahoo."

Sounds interesting...

-hh

On Apr 12, 3:07 am, "-hh" wrote:
Larry wrote:
[...]

Sounds like you talk to the fishermen instead of all the folks on the
pretty boats.

"-hh" wrote in
oups.com:

Here's another look at the same info (Excel graph); two miles out, you
have 3000ft of water under your keel:

THIS is where SKIP should have taken Flying Pig!....(c;

Larry