Default Solar Charger

Is there a cheap and easy solar charger available, that I can use to
keep the batteries full when I don't use the boat in a while? I just
want it to maintain the charge, so that I can be sure to return to
full batteries after a while of non-use, and don't have to deal with
shore power cable and charger. It needs to be able to sit outside, in
the cockpit.

There would be no load other than keeping the batteries (two, I think
54 Ah each) topped off.

Thanks!

wrote in message
oups.com...

Is there a cheap and easy solar charger available, that I can use to
keep the batteries full when I don't use the boat in a while? I just
want it to maintain the charge, so that I can be sure to return to
full batteries after a while of non-use, and don't have to deal with
shore power cable and charger. It needs to be able to sit outside, in
the cockpit.

There would be no load other than keeping the batteries (two, I think
54 Ah each) topped off.

Thanks!

Yah, one of the little 5 amp solar trickle chargers should be able to do
that for you. Boatus, Defender, even auto supply stores should carry them.

On Sun, 1 Apr 2007 14:44:17 -0500, "KLC Lewis"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...

Is there a cheap and easy solar charger available, that I can use to
keep the batteries full when I don't use the boat in a while? I just
want it to maintain the charge, so that I can be sure to return to
full batteries after a while of non-use, and don't have to deal with
shore power cable and charger. It needs to be able to sit outside, in
the cockpit.

There would be no load other than keeping the batteries (two, I think
54 Ah each) topped off.

Thanks!

Yah, one of the little 5 amp solar trickle chargers should be able to do
that for you. Boatus, Defender, even auto supply stores should carry them.

Little 5 *amp*?

"Goofball_star_dot_etal" wrote in message
On Sun, 1 Apr 2007 14:44:17 -0500, "KLC Lewis"
wrote:

wrote in message
groups.com...

Is there a cheap and easy solar charger available, that I can use to
keep the batteries full when I don't use the boat in a while? I just
want it to maintain the charge, so that I can be sure to return to
full batteries after a while of non-use, and don't have to deal with
shore power cable and charger. It needs to be able to sit outside, in
the cockpit.

There would be no load other than keeping the batteries (two, I think
54 Ah each) topped off.

Thanks!

Yah, one of the little 5 amp solar trickle chargers should be able to do
that for you. Boatus, Defender, even auto supply stores should carry them.

Little 5 *amp*?

Watt. I meant Watt.

On Sun, 1 Apr 2007 15:33:48 -0500, "KLC Lewis"
wrote:

"Goofball_star_dot_etal" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 1 Apr 2007 14:44:17 -0500, "KLC Lewis"
wrote:

wrote in message
egroups.com...

Is there a cheap and easy solar charger available, that I can use to
keep the batteries full when I don't use the boat in a while? I just
want it to maintain the charge, so that I can be sure to return to
full batteries after a while of non-use, and don't have to deal with
shore power cable and charger. It needs to be able to sit outside, in
the cockpit.

There would be no load other than keeping the batteries (two, I think
54 Ah each) topped off.

Thanks!

Yah, one of the little 5 amp solar trickle chargers should be able to do
that for you. Boatus, Defender, even auto supply stores should carry them.

Little 5 *amp*?

Watt. I meant Watt.

Watts[sic] a factor of 15 or so between sailors, m'lud.

krj krj is offline

KLC Lewis wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Is there a cheap and easy solar charger available, that I can use to
keep the batteries full when I don't use the boat in a while? I just
want it to maintain the charge, so that I can be sure to return to
full batteries after a while of non-use, and don't have to deal with
shore power cable and charger. It needs to be able to sit outside, in
the cockpit.

There would be no load other than keeping the batteries (two, I think
54 Ah each) topped off.

Thanks!

Yah, one of the little 5 amp solar trickle chargers should be able to do
that for you. Boatus, Defender, even auto supply stores should carry them.

A 5 amp solar charger isn't little. That's about what I get from an 85
watt panel in full sun. The panel is 42" x 28.5" x 1.4" Maybe you were
thinking 5 WATTS

There would be no load other than keeping the batteries (two, I think 54 Ah each) topped off.

Can someone knowledgeable estimate the float current needed to keep
these batteries at full charge??

On 2 Apr 2007 02:20:00 -0700, "
wrote:

There would be no load other than keeping the batteries (two, I think 54 Ah each) topped off.

Can someone knowledgeable estimate the float current needed to keep
these batteries at full charge??

The "Self Discharge" rate for lead acid batteries varies by
construction and condition but is commonly quoted at about 40% per
year which translates to 3 or 4% per month.

In other words, a 54Ah battery needs about 2Ah per month to stay fully
charged. Assuming 720 hours per month, an average trickle charge rate
of 2 / 720 amps (about 3 milliamps) per battery should do the job.

Solar Charger [email protected] Boat Building 4 April 2nd 07 02:53 PM
Solar Trickle Charger Quint Cruising 4 March 1st 07 01:44 PM
Things I learned about my new battery charger; Chuck Gould General 1 January 3rd 07 02:23 PM
One for the not so swift among us- SamJenson General 180 October 3rd 06 11:23 AM
The Solar Panel Simulator! Larry Cruising 15 March 20th 06 12:48 AM