Default Bottom Paint question

"Jeff" wrote in message
* Charlie Morgan wrote, On 3/26/2007 11:23 AM:
On 26 Mar 2007 10:11:03 -0500, Dave wrote:

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 07:43:09 -0400, Jeff said:

Then you can add one coat each year.
I would have thought the reason you get a multi-season ablative is
so you
don't have to add one coat each year.

Normaly, that would be true, but he's using a cheap knock-off
product.
He saved $50, though, so it's a sweet bargain!

If you had actually read my posts, you would have known that I've used
Micron Extra exclusively for this millennium. When I tried to skip a
season, I started getting barnacles, even though I still had lots of
paint. That's why I decided to try the cheaper stuff this year - why
pay all that money for something that doesn't perform better in in my
home water?

If it doesn't work as well, then my last trip home will take an extra
15 minutes. If it does work better, as the only reputable marine
testing magazine predicts, I will have saved $200.

What's 200 bucks these days? Hardly worth worrying about. You must be
some miserly sumbitch. I'd spend the extra 200 bucks and not worry about
it. As a matter of fact, knowing for a fact that bottom paint is going
to do nothing but continue going up in price, I probably buy enough for
the next three of four haulouts. Save money in the long run that way.
Why be penny wise and pound foolish?

Wilbur Hubbard

Wilbur Hubbard

* Wilbur Hubbard wrote, On 3/26/2007 12:30 PM:

What's 200 bucks these days? Hardly worth worrying about. You must be
some miserly sumbitch. I'd spend the extra 200 bucks and not worry about
it.

And that's why you're living in a refrigerator box.

As a matter of fact, knowing for a fact that bottom paint is going
to do nothing but continue going up in price, I probably buy enough for
the next three of four haulouts. Save money in the long run that way.
Why be penny wise and pound foolish?

Perhaps I'll repeat again: The cheaper paint was rated better for my
area. Why would I be so foolish as to continue using a more expensive
paint that has already shown that it is not multi-season?

"Jeff" wrote in message
. ..
* Wilbur Hubbard wrote, On 3/26/2007 12:30 PM:

What's 200 bucks these days? Hardly worth worrying about. You must be
some miserly sumbitch. I'd spend the extra 200 bucks and not worry
about it.

And that's why you're living in a refrigerator box.

As a matter of fact, knowing for a fact that bottom paint is going to
do nothing but continue going up in price, I probably buy enough for
the next three of four haulouts. Save money in the long run that way.
Why be penny wise and pound foolish?

Perhaps I'll repeat again: The cheaper paint was rated better for my
area. Why would I be so foolish as to continue using a more expensive
paint that has already shown that it is not multi-season?

Is that an admission that you don't intend to cruise out of your area?
Pretty sad! Or maybe you aren't going to cruise at all. In that case,
why bother with paint? And, if your boat is mostly going to sit then
self-polishing paint is worthless.

Wilbur Hubbard

Wilbur Hubbard

* Wilbur Hubbard wrote, On 3/26/2007 12:57 PM:

As a matter of fact, knowing for a fact that bottom paint is going to
do nothing but continue going up in price, I probably buy enough for
the next three of four haulouts. Save money in the long run that way.
Why be penny wise and pound foolish?

Perhaps I'll repeat again: The cheaper paint was rated better for my
area. Why would I be so foolish as to continue using a more expensive
paint that has already shown that it is not multi-season?

Is that an admission that you don't intend to cruise out of your area?

An admission??? My plans this summer include visiting Buzzards Bay
and the Vineyard to the south, and north to Maine. Probably further
than you've gone in a number of years.

Pretty sad! Or maybe you aren't going to cruise at all. In that case,
why bother with paint? And, if your boat is mostly going to sit then
self-polishing paint is worthless.

My log has about 20000 miles on it. You're the one whose famous for
talking but not actually going anywhere. I've probably seen more of
your home waters than you have!

"Scotty" w@u wrote in message
. ..

"Jeff" wrote in message

- why
pay all that money for something that doesn't perform

better in in my
home water?

kinda like buying a set of Witworth wrenches when you
already have good sets of metric and Merican wrenches.

SBV

Dare I ask...

"What's a Witworth"? ;-)

"Jeff" wrote in message
. ..
* Scotty wrote, On 3/26/2007 3:16 AM:
Will one gallon cover a 30' boat?

Probably, but if the bottom is bare you might want to put

on two or
three coats. Then you can add one coat each year. But

you should
really seek local advice - Chesapeake water is quite

different from
New England.

Interlux has a calculator, where you give the boat

dimensions and it
tells you how much paint they would like you to buy.

Interestingly,
they never mention that one paint does better in northern

or southern
waters, because that would imply that one of theirs is

"bad" in some
conditions.

there's 2 or 3 coats on , last year I simply 'touched' up
some spots. I'm going to change color this year.

Scotty

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in

What's 200 bucks these days?

Your monthly pension check?

"Scotty" w@u wrote in message
. ..
some spots. I'm going to change color this year.

You'll never pass for a white man.

Wilbur Hubbard

"KLC Lewis" wrote in message
et...

Dare I ask...

"What's a Witworth"? ;-)

Crazy British sized wrenches...... rather than SAE or Metric.

Bottom paint choice? Jeff Cruising 2 March 14th 07 01:33 AM
Bottom Paint Question ,, on prep, type, application NE Sailboat Cruising 1 March 12th 07 04:06 PM
Bottom Growth Question Wilbur Hubbard ASA 6 March 1st 07 04:24 PM
Getting to the bottom of it... (Ablative question) Skip Gundlach Boat Building 20 August 25th 06 04:12 AM
Bottom Paint katysails ASA 27 March 24th 04 09:07 PM