Default Loading a boat on a trailer; center of balance,..

"ray lunder" wrote in message
The new dual axle trailer is coming along. IR now a welder. I could
use some basic math help around figuring out where to place the boat's
center of balance on the trailer. (so I can put the bunks in place) If
it were exactly between the two axles then it would have zero % tongue
weight. Is this correct?
There seem to be several schools of thought around what percentage of
tongue weight is ideal, proper or even workable. Let's say you picked
10% as your goal,..
My question then is how far would you move the boat's center of
balance forward to obtain this?
Also, does going up or down hill change this? If so how do you allow
for that?
The boat is 23' on deck and approx 4300lbs if that makes a difference.
The tow vehicle is a 3/4 ton chevy with a tow package.
Thanks for your time as always.

Rule of thumb is 2/3 of the weight in front of the trailer axle, the other
half behind it. And my math teacher said I couldn't cope with fractions.
Bah!

But seriously, 2/3 front, 1/3 rear, strap it down so it can't move. As for
hills, don't attempt jeep trails. Your chevy's tow rating will tell you if
you are within tongue and weight limits, but my guess is you should be fine.

KLC Lewis wrote:
"ray lunder" wrote in message
[...]

Good luck figuring out how to do that!

Stephen

"Stephen Trapani" wrote in message
KLC Lewis wrote:
"ray lunder" wrote in message
[...]

If the boat and trailer are properly matched, it pretty much happens
automatically. But with dual axles, it's less important. Still, the 2/3 1/3
rule should fall between the two axles.

KLC Lewis wrote:

"ray lunder" wrote in message

[...]

As a mechanic i would say this is wrong.
A DUAL axle trailer should sit with equal waight on all 4 wheels then be
adjusted so that there is aprox 20 kilo load onto the tow hitch.
The tow car/truck should be setup with firm rear springs and the hitch
hight should be level with the trailer frame when connected.
Trailer should ride/tow level. not up or down at the front.
If you use the 2/3 1/3 rule you will over heat the front tires from
exess load causeing them to fail early, not to metion the wheel
bearings. If you are alowed to have a longer drawbar do so as this will
make it tow better and make it easyer to reverse/backup and launch.
The 2/3 1/3 rule work well for the smaller tinny type boats and trailers
under 500 kilo with SINGLE axle.
Please take care when loading a boat or camper for the trip to keep it
LEVEL on the trailer when off the car/truck.
The trick is for the trailer to carry the load NOT the tow car/truck all
they are there for is to guide and control the trailer.
If you have a lot of load onto the tow hitch when sitting still you will
have phenomenally more under brakeing keeping in mind that 70% of your
brakeing is on your front wheels loading the back up can and will lift
the front wheels to the point when under brakeing they will slip and
fail to slow the car/truck even failing to steer can happen.
Yes i have worked with trailers over the years not to mention my own
boats on trailers that have been towed any where i wish without any
failing (apart from a flat tire in the parking lot)
hope this help in some way
Shaun

I agree with Shaun. I can easily lift the tongue of my twin axle
trailer with the 21' Corsair on it.I would say I've got about
(guessing) 100 to 135llbs tongue weight.
My axles also have one of those equalizer thingys on it, in the center
between the two spring sets.

S.