Parallax

Default Corner reflectors

For work, I was thinking about corner refelctors for an unusual
wavelenght when the thread about boats in anchorages not beein visible
came back to me.
So...Not so useless idea #3435
Why dont boaters use reflectors like the ones on bicycles? Corner
reflectors refelct light back to the source regardless of its
direction (within reason). There is even corner reflector tape that
sorta works and I see it on life vests and such. Why not apply it to
your boat. Even better, why not have higher quality corner refelctor
arrays made especially to apply to the sides of your boat. They could
be inexpensively made to be stuck on. For those who think it would be
tacky looking, consider how classy your boat would look t-boned one
night.
I'm gonna get some of that reflective tape and some bicycle reflectors
from Wal Mart and do some experimenting.
Steve

Maybe because other boats don't have bright lights that would reflect off
the your corner reflectors.

There is a good reason for not using bright lights on a boat, they ruin the
night vision of other boaters.

When entering an anchorage or coming into a dock at night, I have had
'wanna-be-helpful' boater or dock walkers shine a bright light directly at
me.. $@^&(^

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

DSK

Parallax wrote:

So...Not so useless idea #3435
Why dont boaters use reflectors like the ones on bicycles?

Because they rust to uselessness in about a week... maybe less.

... There is even corner reflector tape that
sorta works and I see it on life vests and such. Why not apply it to
your boat.

A lot of us have done exactly that.

Next you'll be telling us that you've had a great original idea for making
the surface of decks slightly rough so they won't be so slippery...

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Geoffrey W. Schultz

Not so useless idea #3435
Why dont boaters use reflectors like the ones on bicycles? Corner
reflectors refelct light back to the source regardless of its
direction (within reason).

I attached SOLAS tape to my mast so that when I'm coming back at night in a
crowded anchorage or mooring field that it's easy to spot the boat. Works
like a champ!

-- Geoff

Parallax

DSK wrote in message ...
Parallax wrote:

So...Not so useless idea #3435
Why dont boaters use reflectors like the ones on bicycles?

Because they rust to uselessness in about a week... maybe less.

... There is even corner reflector tape that
sorta works and I see it on life vests and such. Why not apply it to
your boat.

A lot of us have done exactly that.

Next you'll be telling us that you've had a great original idea for making
the surface of decks slightly rough so they won't be so slippery...

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

I do not claim originality. However, i see very little of this stuff
on boats and think it would be a good idea. It isn't intended to
reflect ambiaent light but light from a spotlight shining toward you,
like the one on that tug pushing a barge and he doesnt know he is
waaaaaaaaaay out of the channel. Happened here a couple years ago.
Well made reflectors would not rust.
DSK

Parallax wrote:

I do not claim originality.

In that case I apologize. It seemed you were.

However, i see very little of this stuff
on boats and think it would be a good idea.

It's a great idea, some of us have already done it and others haven't. In some anchorages
I've seen about half the boats have reflective markings.

It isn't intended to
reflect ambiaent light but light from a spotlight shining toward you,
like the one on that tug pushing a barge and he doesnt know he is
waaaaaaaaaay out of the channel. Happened here a couple years ago.
Well made reflectors would not rust.

Sure, but they'd be more expensive. Besides, you can make numbers or letters with
reflective tape (which is not very expensive) so that it not only increases visibility but
identifies the boat too.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Keith

I have a bucket that is covered on the outside with SOLAS reflective tape,
white. I run it up the rigging at night. Whenever anyone hits it with a
light of any kind, it really shows up! I guarantee the tugboats in the ICW
will hit you with a spotlight as soon as they see an anchor light. Of
course, you don't want to be anchored IN the ICW. Be sure not to use things
like red or green reflective, otherewise someone might think you're an aid
to navigation and head for you!