Default wooden liveaboard

"Bob" wrote in message
ups.com...

After 38 years, the bilge of my woodie is well pickled with
antifreeze, oil, sal****er and you name it. And yes, a little rock salt
in there doesn't hurt.

What no disel ?

Ummmm, ever wonder how to describe that "boat smell" to a non-wood
boat person ?!? I think you just did.

And dont forget a few scews, cut nylon zip ties, wood shavings, and
what didn't disolve of that 10mm wrench.
Bob

Antifreeze is a great wood preservative. Unfortunately, pets like to drink
it. This might be good in case of rats.

biz biz is offline

Jeff wrote:
30K pounds seems like a lot. There are hundreds of 38+ foot boats In
the USA for under that, and a quick search of YachtWorld shows a number
in the UK. For instance, a '97 Dehler 41 asking 29K would be a fine
boat, and more likely to hold its value than an ugly wooden boat.

Yes, holding its value is an interesting point. But I'd tried to
include that in the annual maintenance cost, so that at the end of 3
years the value would be equal.

One point in your calculations: if your cash flow is less with the glass
boat, why not take out a shorter loan? That way you'd be a full owner
or a quality boat in 6-7 years.

Well I'd calculated how long I'd need the loan for to make it roughly
the same monthly payment. The figures were really back-of-envelope.

On Fri, 9 Mar 2007 01:25:13 -0600, "KLC Lewis"
wrote:

Antifreeze is a great wood preservative. Unfortunately, pets like to drink
it. This might be good in case of rats.

It also develops a very acrid and unpleasant odor in the bilge.

Don't ask me how I know.

Plans Announced for 30th Annual Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival [email protected] General 0 April 10th 06 04:29 PM
Dates and details, wooden boat week, Lake Tahoe [email protected] General 2 March 27th 05 02:33 PM
cruising vs liveaboard boats JAXAshby Cruising 2 February 3rd 04 11:22 AM
Wooden Boat Forum Gafffer General 0 September 17th 03 10:57 AM
Sailor's tattoo, must be married too long, Wooden Boat Festival Gould 0738 General 2 September 10th 03 06:38 PM