posted to uk.rec.sailing,rec.boats.cruising

Default Tilley Wick

"Ted Bell" wrote in message
When it's very cold I have a hard time cranking my diesel. I was wondering
if I put Tilley wicks saturated in meths around the injectors and lit them
if it would warm up the injectors enough to vaporize the fuel better.
Anybody ever try it?

I'm Ted Bell!

I was living in korea for a while with an older jeep cj-7 with a diesel
conversion. The glow plugs were broken and i couldnt get replacements for
winter. The temp got down to about -20C. I carried a small propane torch
and the way i got it started (first crank every time) was to remove the air
filter hose from the intake on the manifold and heat the air as it went in.
There was no direct contact with the flame and any engine part, but the hot
air warmed up the diesel fuel enough to make good things happen. got bored
wiht it pretty quick, but a great trick to know.

Shaun

posted to uk.rec.sailing,rec.boats.cruising

In article , Duncan McC (NZ) wrote:
In article ,
says...

"Ted Bell" wrote in message
When it's very cold I have a hard time cranking my diesel. I was wondering
if I put Tilley wicks saturated in meths around the injectors and lit them
if it would warm up the injectors enough to vaporize the fuel better.
Anybody ever try it?

I'm Ted Bell!

I was living in korea for a while with an older jeep cj-7 with a diesel
conversion. The glow plugs were broken and i couldnt get replacements for
winter. The temp got down to about -20C. I carried a small propane torch
and the way i got it started (first crank every time) was to remove the air
filter hose from the intake on the manifold and heat the air as it went in.
There was no direct contact with the flame and any engine part, but the hot
air warmed up the diesel fuel enough to make good things happen. got bored
wiht it pretty quick, but a great trick to know.

Why risk ingesting something into the combustion chamber? I have done
similar with a burning bit of rag (soaked in diesel) and just held that
infront of the air filter. It works.

What you are doing is making the engine breathe warm air as it starts.

You could accomplish the same thing with an electric hair dryer and have no
fire risk.
posted to uk.rec.sailing,rec.boats.cruising

On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 18:32:27 GMT, Bruce in Alaska
wrote:

Did you actually READ, the link? the Admin Name and Password are given
right there....

And darned if it isn't....

....hidden right there in plain sight.

Dayyyummm, interesting security, changing the font color like that...

:-)

So where are the northern lights?

wrote:

Did you actually READ, the link? the Admin Name and Password are given
right there....

And darned if it isn't....

...hidden right there in plain sight.

Dayyyummm, interesting security, changing the font color like that...

:-)

So where are the northern lights?

There, up in the sky.... It is just HARD to see them when we are getting
2 - 3 Inches of SNOW each night......somebody should COOK that famous
GroundHawg back east, cause he can't predict weather up here... No way
Spring is anywhere near coming here yet....

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @

posted to uk.rec.sailing,rec.boats.cruising

Well this may be a bit old fashioned but ill write it up any way's
we built insulated boxes round our engines out of tyvec and made a
little door in which to place a 60 watt light bulb.
when i had to start the mains once a month i would plug the light
bulbs in a few days ahead of time.
worked down to about -80 or so. when the mains started i would open
the far side of the box from the intake so they could breath till the
blocks warmed up. the gen sets i could keep warm on shore power, but
the thrust master mains could be a bitch.