BoatBanter.com

-   -   Venice, FL bad water cop (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/78456-venice-fl-bad-water-cop.html)

Keith February 20th 07 12:46 PM

Venice, FL bad water cop

There is a guy there that routinely hassles transiting boaters with no
FL registration. Never mind that you can pass through FL without FL
numbers, he will give you a ticket anyway. Here are some comments and
people to write if this concerns you.

As a soon-to-be Venice resident, who never knew anything about this
"till now, I just sent a letter to the Venice Gondolier expressing my
concern. I urge all of you to take a moment to contact
and register a protest. Venice is too
beautiful a stopover to be deemed not worth the trouble because of
some capricious cop. Jeff Sharkey

From: Matt Mattson
Subject: GL: Venice Water Cop
To:
, ,
, ,
, ,

Mr. Fred Hammett, Mayor, City of Venice, FL
Ms. Vicki Taylor, Vice Mayor, City of Venice, FL
Mr. Bill Wilson, Council Member, City of Venice, FL
Mr. Jim Woods, Council Member, City of Venice, FL
Mr. John Simmonds, Council Member, City of Venice, FL
Mr. John Moore, Council Member, City of Venice, FL
Mr. Rick Tracy, Council Member, City of Venice, FL

Dear Mr. Mayor & Council Members:

Although I would love to stop, and refuel and eat at one of my
favorite seafood places of all at the inlet, I will be passing your
fine city on my trip and refuel and re-provision at Ft. Meyers
before
crossing the Okeechobee Waterway.

The reason: the word is out (and I'm afraid confirmed) that a
certain
patrol officer (well known) harasses all who stop with out of state
registrations. I do not know if you are aware, but there are a
large
volume of vessels that do the "Great Loop Cruise" each year (Great
Lakes Mississippi Florida & across to the Intracoastal New
York
& back to the Great Lakes) and getting larger, but more and more

will be bypassing Venice due to comments like this:

This guy got me in 2002. I went down and FL registered my boat even
though
it was not allowed in Texas at the time. You don't talk back to
this dude
unless you want to be in a heap of trouble.

I know what everyone calls him, but what is his name?

Doc

--
ANOTHER:

I spoke to the Fl Revenue guys at their booth at the Miami Boat
Show. They knew all about the guy in Venice and chuckled about his
activities. I have a unique situation where I am a FL resident,
bought the boat out of Florida, Documented it out of my vacation
house in NC though it has never stayed there more than a few days,
kept the boat out of Florida for 10 months, then bring it back for a
few months each winter

FL DOR guy said I never have to pay sales tax and since I am not in
FL for more than 90 days I do not have to register it.

He suggested that loopers keep a receipt from Mobile and environs to
show to the Venice cop. In that case he knows that you are in Fl
since a few days ago.
_______

and many many more . . .

I can't speak for the rest of the Great Loop List or the other Great
Loop forums, but until this problem gets resolved, easier to buy my
700 gallons elsewhere so I'll keep motoring on down.

Regards:

Matt Mattson

C-Dawg-E

Copy of my letter to the Mayor. Thanks for the address.

Dear Mr. Mayor,

Last year we docked at the Crows Nest Marina for a two day stay. We
love the
Venice area and try to make it a regular stop a couple times a year.
After
we tied up and were relaxing in our salon we were paid a visit from
the
water patrol. He demanded documentation which, according to the laws,
we
didn't need. He didn't want to hear it and told us he could seize our
boat
etc. etc. After a long speech to us as well as our guests, very
embarrassing
and rude I might add, and giving us a ticket, he left. If it were not
so
late in the day and looking forward to a great meal at The Crows Nest
we
would have left. To make this long story short, I contacted our
attorney and
he sent a letter interpreting the law along with our check. End
result, we
received a refund for the ticket.

We loved our stops at Venice but I think we will by-pass your lovely
city
until we Know the over zealous officer is gone.

I received the following email from a Venice Fl. News paper, and they
would
like to talk with some people who have had experience with the Water
Nazi. If
you have direct experience, please contact this gentleman,and maybe
something
can be done.

In a message dated 2/19/2007 12:12:11 P.M. Central Standard Time,
writes:

Can you elaborate on the conduct you refer to? We'd like to make an
inquiry
about this but have little to go on. Specific actions would be easier
question.

Bob Mudge
Editor
Venice Gondolier Sun

THanks

I personally think the last one is the most important... get the press
on the case and you've got a leg up. If you've had any experiences
with this a--hole, please write the paper, and also the city council.

capt.bill11 February 20th 07 01:35 PM

Venice, FL bad water cop

---------------------------------------------------------------------------*-----

From: Matt Mattson
To: , ,
, ,
, ,

writes:

Can you elaborate on the conduct you refer to? We'd like to make an
inquiry
about this but have little to go on. Specific actions would be easier
question.

Bob Mudge
Editor
Venice Gondolier Sun

THanks

---------------------------------------------------------------------------*-----

I personally think the last one is the most important... get the press
on the case and you've got a leg up. If you've had any experiences
with this a--hole, please write the paper, and also the city council.- Hide quoted text -

I live in Sarasota just up the road from Venice and you're right, he
is well know and not well liked nor respected. There also is/was a
State DNR officer in the same area with the same attitude. Hopefully
this letter writing campaign will correct this situation.

Armond Perretta February 20th 07 02:14 PM

Venice, FL bad water cop

Keith wrote:
There is a guy there that routinely hassles transiting boaters with no
FL registration. Never mind that you can pass through FL without FL
numbers, he will give you a ticket anyway. Here are some comments and
people to write if this concerns you.

I don't know if it's the same guy, but I got such a ticket in late 1993 and
eventually had to show up in court in Sarasota. My ticket was deemed a
criminal offense and although I was able to talk it down to a $30 court
costs issue, it was indeed a real pain.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat

mr.b February 20th 07 02:18 PM

Venice, FL bad water cop

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 05:35:42 -0800, capt.bill11 wrote:

I live in Sarasota snip

capt.bill11,
You don't quote 50 lines of text in order to add your 5 or 6 lines
at the bottom. Learn to snip.

Wayne.B February 20th 07 03:27 PM

Venice, FL bad water cop

On 20 Feb 2007 04:46:39 -0800, "Keith"
wrote:

There is a guy there that routinely hassles transiting boaters with no
FL registration. Never mind that you can pass through FL without FL
numbers, he will give you a ticket anyway. Here are some comments and
people to write if this concerns you.

I have not seen any mention of the officers name or badge number. It
is important to mention that in any letter of complaint, and it
wouldn't hurt to mention it here.

My other suggestion is to find out and publicize the mailing address
of any civillian complaint review board that may be applicable in this
case. Most police departments track civilian complaints and take
action if a pattern of abusive behavior is noted.

Also, complain directly to the marina management at the Crow's Nest.
They are a large, well run operation and probably have some clout with
the local chamber of commerce and political power structure.

If you really feel strongly, hire a lawyer and explore various avenues
of legal action. Local governments hate lawsuits.

capt.bill11 February 21st 07 03:53 AM

Venice, FL bad water cop

On Feb 20, 10:18 am, "mr.b" wrote:
On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 05:35:42 -0800, capt.bill11 wrote:
I live in Sarasota snip

capt.bill11,
You don't quote 50 lines of text in order to add your 5 or 6 lines
at the bottom. Learn to snip.

Sure I do. In fact, I just did.

xorbit February 21st 07 04:19 AM

Venice, FL bad water cop

mr.b wrote:

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 05:35:42 -0800, capt.bill11 wrote:

I live in Sarasota snip

capt.bill11,
You don't quote 50 lines of text in order to add your 5 or 6 lines
at the bottom. Learn to snip.

Are you still using dial-up?

mr.b February 21st 07 04:21 AM

Venice, FL bad water cop

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 19:53:44 -0800, capt.bill11 wrote:

Sure I do. In fact, I just did.

aheh-heh...that was a friendly reminder about how to use Usenet comedy
boy.

xorbit February 21st 07 04:54 AM

Venice, FL bad water cop

mr.b wrote:

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 19:53:44 -0800, capt.bill11 wrote:

Sure I do. In fact, I just did.

aheh-heh...that was a friendly reminder about how to use Usenet comedy
boy.

Maybe back in the day when people paid by the byte or only had very low
bandwidth. It made a big difference then. But today it doesn't matter.

So try moving out of the 80s and get something faster than a 300 baud
modem.

[email protected] February 21st 07 10:29 AM

Venice, FL bad water cop

I am sure that some enterprising FL resident could also file Freedom
of Information Act requests for all the different stops. That may be
what the paper will do.