Default Venice, FL bad water cop

New information from a local the
____________________________
As I longtime active boater in Venice I would like to clarify some
issues
regarding water cops. We have at least 3 different water enforcement
organizations, Venice Police, Sarasota County Sheriff, and Florida
Fish and
Wildlife Conservation Commission. The unfortunate enforcement
experiences
some of you have experienced are from Tom Erickson of FFWCC and not
from the
VPD. I have personally discussed with the marine officer of VPD as we
are
working together on a harbor management plan for Venice. The city of
Venice
is looking for ways to improve our relationship with cruisers and make
Venice more of a destination. Unfortunately we do not have any
control over
county or state law enforcement officials.
_______________________________
Let the letter writing begin!

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 22:54:35 -0600, xorbit wrote:

snip

try growing a brain

*plonk*

On 21 Feb 2007 03:54:47 -0800, "Keith"
wrote:

The unfortunate enforcement
experiences
some of you have experienced are from Tom Erickson of FFWCC and not
from the
VPD.

Finally we have the beginning of useful information.

Now you need to find out something about the organizational structure
of your local FFWCC and start filing complaints with his senior
management.

If I were stopped by FFWCC I would refuse to let them aboard my boat
unless they had USCG with them or unless I was fishing.

xorbit wrote:

Maybe back in the day when people paid by the byte or only had very low
bandwidth. It made a big difference then. But today it doesn't matter.

So try moving out of the 80s and get something faster than a 300 baud
modem.

The "modern world" includes many people using devices that are dialup
or slower. For instance, a BlackBerry can be used to read Newsgroups,
but even the latest 2.5G and 3G devices will likely revert to lowest
speed in many cruising areas.

And on handhelds there is often no news reader better than Google,
which has to load the entire thread, or 25 messages at a time, with
no kill file. Its really annoying to have to scroll past ten repeated
copies of the same original post, only differing by some non-comment
tagged on the bottom.

Perhaps wannabe armchair cruisers like you always have the latest
terrabaud service in their home, but those of us who actually go
sailing have to make do with slower devices.
Member

On Feb 21, 12:21 am, "mr.b" wrote:
On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 19:53:44 -0800, capt.bill11 wrote:
Sure I do. In fact, I just did.

aheh-heh...that was a friendly reminder about how to use Usenet comedy
boy.

Yeah, I got the joke. But using Google groups sometimes I forget cause
of the way it condences the quoted post to just show -show quoted
text-.

Hey, at least I didn't top post. :-)

Member

On Feb 21, 7:54 am, "Keith" wrote:
[...]

OK, that makes sense. That is who I have always had a problem with. He
was moved out of the Sarasota area because of his crap.

I was running a boat documented in the Cayman Islands and he tried to
tell me it needed to be registered in Florida. He even claimed he was
filing a report with the Dept. of Rev.. Nothing, of course, came of
it.

I can only wonder at the amount of money he wastes in his pay and
other peoples time by pulling this BS.

Member

On Feb 21, 9:22 am, Jeff wrote:
xorbit wrote:

Maybe back in the day when people paid by the byte or only had very low
bandwidth. It made a big difference then. But today it doesn't matter.

So try moving out of the 80s and get something faster than a 300 baud
modem.

snip

Perhaps wannabe armchair cruisers like you always have the latest
terrabaud service in their home, but those of us who actually go
sailing have to make do with slower devices.

But if you're cruising you've got all the time in the world.
Right? :-)

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 06:44:54 -0800, capt.bill11 wrote:

On Feb 21, 12:21 am, "mr.b" wrote:
On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 19:53:44 -0800, capt.bill11 wrote:
Sure I do. In fact, I just did.

aheh-heh...that was a friendly reminder about how to use Usenet comedy
boy.

Yeah, I got the joke. But using Google groups sometimes I forget cause of
the way it condences the quoted post to just show -show quoted text-.

Hey, at least I didn't top post. :-)

my faith in you is restored...there is no longer a disturbance in the
force

capt.bill11 wrote:

On Feb 21, 7:54 am, "Keith" wrote:

[...]

The best way to take care of rogue cops is to make
sure you have witnesses and file charges on them
that you can make stick. At that point their LEO
career is close to over.

If you cannot do that, you may be able to sue them
personally in State or Federal court for
constitutional violations. Even if you do not
win, their organzation will not like the bad
press, and the time off for depositions and court
apperances. Their wife will not like them having
to hire an attorney to defend themselves, and they
will not like all the added stress and cost of a
lawsuit.

If you cannot do that, you may be able to get
their supervisors attention with a nicely worded
letter from your attorney. Make sure you CC at
least two levels of supervision, and the head of
the organization they work for, and politely
request that they let you know what they are going
to do to handle the situation.

In this case, it seems that a polite letter to the
head of FFWCC, and cc'd to the Governor's office
would be in order.

Don W.

"Dave" wrote in message
On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 19:18:50 GMT, Don W
said:

If you cannot do that, you may be able to sue them
personally in State or Federal court for
constitutional violations. Even if you do not
win, their organzation will not like the bad
press, and the time off for depositions and court
apperances. Their wife will not like them having
to hire an attorney to defend themselves, and they
will not like all the added stress and cost of a
lawsuit.

A stupid idea for any number of reasons.

Would you care to enumerate those reasons? Bad cops remain bad cops only
because the public doesn't speak up.