Giles

Default Push starting your boat

"98stratus" wrote in message ...
Doug,

I think you're thinking of the 35 engine The transmission in the 1gm (and 2
and 3GM) are all purely mechanical. At least from my investigation of the
service manual, the forward gear is a mirror image of the reverse gear. the
cluch cone simply bears against the forward drive gear, just like it does in
reverse. The transmission is "spalsh lubricated, not hydraulic at all.

I appreciate the suggestion elsewhere about separating the two
decompressor levers to start the engine by hand. Sadly, they're
already disconnected. It may be that the issue is more that I may no
longer have the technique that I used to start Listers 35+ years ago.
However... Somebody suggested using a bungee pulling the lever to the
"compressed" position with a line held under my foot to keep it open
while cranking, thus leaving two hands to crank -- that might work,
and I'll give it a try.

Getting back to the point: The gearbox on my 2GM is completely
mechanical, and I noticed that each gear is "one-way". If you put it
in gear (with the engine STOPPED, please) you will find that you can
turn it against the desired direction by hand. It turns out that this
is the correct behaviour, and explains the instruction to put it in
reverse to lock the prop while sailing. (This whole thing worried me
because I was refitting the engine/transmission after replacing the
engine beds, and I thought that I might have fried the transmission.
The lack of drive turned out to be a huge wad of barnacles living on
the prop).

Giles

Boat fell off trailer bb General 31 January 27th 04 09:22 PM
Habbi's gearcase full of water K Smith General 9 December 26th 03 11:48 AM
Harry's lobster boat? Gould 0738 General 3 December 23rd 03 06:24 AM
NEW Boat Profit Margins Konnie General 19 December 19th 03 04:57 AM
"The SEARCH" redux (long, as usual) Skip Gundlach Cruising 2 September 22nd 03 03:30 PM