Ron Thornton

Default Electric motor to power a dinghy

Chuck,

It is not necessary to have a big heavy battery if all you want to do is
run to shore and back. Lawn tractor size batteries will do what you
want at a reasonable weight. If that is too heavy go with two small 6
volt batteries. I leave mine in the dingy and hook to a charging line
connected to my house batteries that keeps the dingy topped off and
ready to go. I find this much better than fooling around with a finicky
4 hp motor.

Ron

jeannette

I totaly agree with that post. I have a 8 foot Bombard with a Minnkota
30 and a 32ah gel battery that I can pickup with one hand by the
handle. I put the motor on the transom and hang the battery from the 2
big butterfly screws. I also added a plug in the line that I can
connect to the boat to recharge. I siliconed a small digital voltmeter
to the battery so I can keep an eye on the voltage.
I am planning to add a small solar panel on a post at the back of the
dinghy so that I can get some charging when I leave it at the dinghy
dock for hours whilst visiting some place.
It doesn't go very fast but it gets there silently, smokelessly and
smelllessly (is that even a word?)

Jeannette Bristol 32 Con Te Partiro

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 12:01:35 GMT, (Rick Morel)
wrote:

Chuck, I'll add in my 2-cents.

Over the past 3 years I've used a Walker Bay 8 with a 40-lb (or is it
45-lb?) thrust Minnkota and type 24 battery. No complaints at all. I
added a trolling motor connector to the motor and battery, and to my
house bank so the trolling battery can be charged. Once it is, it's
plugged into a small 10-watt solar panel for "maintenance" charge.
This on a sailboat with solar and wind charging, and occasional engine
run or at a marina. I would think on a trawler charging would be no
problem.

The trolling motor is very light, the battery not so light. However,
the type 24 is not bad at all. Less trouble to transfer actually, than
a 3.3 HP outboard I had. It's large enough to give 2 hours at "wide
open", which I seldom use, and supposedly about 5 or 6 hours one notch
below. All I can say for sure is using the durn thing a lot during
4,000 miles of cruising, I've never run out of juice. Most of the time
the closest to shore I could get was about a quarter mile. Did a lot
of exploring, sometimes 4 or 5 or 6 miles according to the GPS.

During that time we bought an inflatable and the 3.3 HP outboard. The
Walker Bay turned out to be the best almost all the time. The only
thing the inflatable was best for was getting in and out while diving.
The outboard was used on the Walker Bay some, but as above, it really
was more trouble. It did give about twice the speed. Bottom line I
guess is I sold the inflatable and outboard and kept the Walker Bay
and trolling motor :-)

Hope this helps!

Rick

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 18:57:45 GMT, Chuck Bollinger
wrote:

We have a trawler and an 8' Livingston which we use as a tender. Generally we
anchored in.

I've been using a 4HP Johnson (2 stroke) but it is failing, as am I. I leave it
at home but rowing a Livingston is no slice of Heaven. So I want power again,
but more reliable and hassle-free for the limited use.

Does anyone have experience using an electric trolling motor this way? What
kind of motor and/or battery rig did/do you use and how heavy are the parts?

I'll appreciate hearing from experienced users. Thanks

S/V Final Step
http://www.morelr.com/coronado/

Jeannette Bristol 32, San Francisco
http://www.eblw.com/contepartiro/contepartiro.html
Chuck Bollinger

Well it certainly helped my outlook. I have looked at the Walker Bay (Great,
now something else to lust after.) and it clearly has less water resistance than
our Livingston, though as the L is technically a 'multi-hull' it may not be as
great as one would think.

I found your motor, I think. Forty FOUR pounds of thrust, and weighs 34 pounds
to ship (The 'Waterfowl' model... right?). That's manageable. The Series 24
battery runs between 72 and 105 amp hours and 41-50 pounds in weight. It sounds
as though your use is similar to ours.

This is more like what I had hoped for, including the prices of things. We do
have ample power on the trawler. Though we don't have an independent generator,
we do have a large 'cruise generator'. We use an inverter overnight and when we
up-anchor and get out of the bay and up to some sort of speed we cut that in and
recharge. Adding a little 24 to that would be nothing.

Is your 24 of the larger amp-hour persuasion? I'm ready to roll on this.

Thanks - Chuck

wrote:

We have a trawler and an 8' Livingston which we use as a tender. Generally we
anchored in.

I've been using a 4HP Johnson (2 stroke) but it is failing, as am I. I leave it
at home but rowing a Livingston is no slice of Heaven. So I want power again,
but more reliable and hassle-free for the limited use.

Does anyone have experience using an electric trolling motor this way? What
kind of motor and/or battery rig did/do you use and how heavy are the parts?

I'll appreciate hearing from experienced users. Thanks

S/V Final Step
http://www.morelr.com/coronado/

Chuck Bollinger

anonymous wrote:

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 02:45:00 GMT, "Don White"
said:

I'd go with a nice little 4 stroke Honda or Yamaha outboard.

When his primary concern is weight? Is there some advance in 4 stroke
technology of which we're unaware?

Perhaps, but you should be. The 2- stroke has, for some time, been known to be
very polluting. There is a push to go to 4-stroke, and I think California has
passed some regulation in that regard.

Our daughter is a card-carrying NOAA tree-hugger. I would not be able to
conceal buying (or even continuing to use) a 2-stroke, and yes, I *am* afraid of
her! (:=D

Larry W4CSC

WalMart's Auto Department battery rack has a very nice 75AH size 24
battery marked "Trolling" for $39.95. Bought one today for my little
electric.....

wrote:

We have a trawler and an 8' Livingston which we use as a tender. Generally we
anchored in.

I've been using a 4HP Johnson (2 stroke) but it is failing, as am I. I leave it
at home but rowing a Livingston is no slice of Heaven. So I want power again,
but more reliable and hassle-free for the limited use.

Does anyone have experience using an electric trolling motor this way? What
kind of motor and/or battery rig did/do you use and how heavy are the parts?

I'll appreciate hearing from experienced users. Thanks

S/V Final Step
http://www.morelr.com/coronado/

Larry W4CSC

3600 planes with transponders are burning 8-10 million
gallons of kerosene per hour over the USA. R-12 car air
conditioners are responsible for the ozone hole, right?
Lloyd Sumpter

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 14:33:00 +0000, Messing In Boats wrote:

Minnkota sells a bunch of electric trolling motors that would work, but
you have to deal with a battery which may weigh 50# or so, much heavier
than the 4 hp Johnson, (I have one, a 1987 model that weighs 33#. I love
it!) although not quite as awkward to handle. I once read something that
said 15# of thrust is approximately equal to 1 hp, but then a whole
bunch of posters chimed in with the information that thrust and hp were
as different as apples and chipmunks, so.....

I have a Minn Kota Endura 30 on Near Cove (Walker Bay 8) which pushes
it just fine. I just replaced the 22NF (25lb) with a Series 24 (35lb), but
if weight is a problem go with the the 22NF.

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36

Larry W4CSC

I'm convinced. Bought a new 75AH 24 battery and shiny new prop for my
$12 Minnkota 35 from the thrift shop today....er, ah....tempered with
a new set of aluminum oars, just in case...(c;

If that don't work, I'll put the 3HP Yamaha someone gave me on it.....

Cheap boating!

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 15:51:35 -0700, "Lloyd Sumpter"
wrote:

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 14:33:00 +0000, Messing In Boats wrote:

Minnkota sells a bunch of electric trolling motors that would work, but
you have to deal with a battery which may weigh 50# or so, much heavier
than the 4 hp Johnson, (I have one, a 1987 model that weighs 33#. I love
it!) although not quite as awkward to handle. I once read something that
said 15# of thrust is approximately equal to 1 hp, but then a whole
bunch of posters chimed in with the information that thrust and hp were
as different as apples and chipmunks, so.....

I have a Minn Kota Endura 30 on Near Cove (Walker Bay 8) which pushes
it just fine. I just replaced the 22NF (25lb) with a Series 24 (35lb), but
if weight is a problem go with the the 22NF.

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36

Larry W4CSC

US Supports Apartheid! Vetoes UN resolution
condemning Apartheid Wall.
http://www.antiwar.com/hacohen/h052103.html
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...917478560.html
Can apartheid at home be far away?....
Apartheid NOW! Wall off Mississippi!

Power danny Boat Building 4 May 29th 04 05:17 AM
collapsible dinghy Parallax Boat Building 1 May 9th 04 05:24 PM
Newbie question, how to cut electric power ? stevec General 4 January 26th 04 04:41 AM
Skull Creek Marina complaint Aaron Cruising 8 October 14th 03 08:33 PM