Default Cascade 42

Hi just looking for thoughts from the collective on the Cascade 42. I
have an opportunity to buy one at a pretty good price. This one is
Ketch rigged. Was thinking of turning it into a world cruiser of the
next few years

TIA

Ironhorse, AH#130, HSB#96, SENS BS#187
2001 Ultraclassic with Sidecar
96 Custom bucket of bolts (gone but not forgotten)

Republicans think every day is 4th of July
Democrats think every day is April 15th
Ronald Reagan

Ironhorse wrote:
Hi just looking for thoughts from the collective on the Cascade 42. I
have an opportunity to buy one at a pretty good price. This one is
Ketch rigged. Was thinking of turning it into a world cruiser of the
next few years

TIA

Ironhorse, AH#130, HSB#96, SENS BS#187
2001 Ultraclassic with Sidecar
96 Custom bucket of bolts (gone but not forgotten)

Republicans think every day is 4th of July
Democrats think every day is April 15th
Ronald Reagan

Is that the one in Alaska? Good boats.
Gordon
Bob Bob is offline

Republicans think every day is 4th of July
Democrats think every day is April 15th
Ronald Reagan

Cascade Yachts is in North Portland, OR. They have a yard there, or at
least they did last year. The original Cascade boat comapany changed
Hans several years ago and has limped along since. Lots of Cascades in
OR-WA. Seem to at least one in every marina. Ive sat on three of them
in the last 7 years talking to the owners. The reputation is: tuff,
simple & safe boats. One guy said they were grandpa boats. Whatever
that ment. I met a guy in Cascade Locks, OR (Where else would you find
a Cascade boat??) I think it was a 28' +/-. He just hung an Aries on
the stern and was heading to Mexico. With all that wind there he was
able to sail the paint off it. It seemed to sail smartly in the 30-40K
wind the Columbia gorge offered that day. The owner added the Aries
steering was fantastic and able to out steer him even in blustery
gorge conditoins.

Typically most have huge Al towrails. What can I say, its a boat.
They float. They sail.

You may want to ask why are there so many still sailing? Some
cruising? I think the Cascade is one of those "between the crack"
boats that may be a "best buy" for a sharp eyed buyer.

Cascade Yachts brokered my Freya in 2001
Bob
PS Quoting Ronalds Raygun may not be a good idea if you plan a visit
to western Oregon.........

On 29 Jan 2007 13:19:11 -0800, "Bob" wrote:

[...]

I live in western Oregon. I am the token conservitive there.

I have been to the cascade yard and have heard the local opinion of
them. Just doing some due dilligance before I take the plunge.

Fair winds

Ironhorse, AH#130, HSB#96, SENS BS#187
2001 Ultraclassic with Sidecar
96 Custom bucket of bolts (gone but not forgotten)

Republicans think every day is 4th of July
Democrats think every day is April 15th
Ronald Reagan

I have a cascade 42 (Maria Victoria) 1975 aft cockpit. Mine has teak
toe rails wish it had aluminum.
Every cascade is different most were owner finished and not by the
owner who started it.
Mine spent the first six years of it's life around south america. As
the owner was ships engineer for star kist. When the ship would change
locations, he would put it on the deck and off they would go. Even has
been through the Pannama canal, certicate and all just did it on the
deck of a 250' tuna processing ship. Owner meets a lady in South
America gets married, she hates the boat. Owner leavesthe boat in
Porto Rico. Next owner buys it and ships and trucks it to Seattle,
puts it on his drive way and starts buying boat stuff. Gets married 2
years later and wife thinks boat is silly.So he tarps it and there it
sets for 20 years. Then they buy 20 arces in Tenn and are moving.
Me I'm just at cascade to buy something for my Santana 28 Stu say's
Tim this is your next boat and showes me a picture.
I laugh and say I like being married. 6 months later it's on my
driveway in Portland. I say dear 8 months and it will be done.Well 4
years after that I finished, and it's a great boat to sail. I love the
boat and enjoy going out when the wind is roaring and one one else is
out on the Columbia.
Find another small builder who has been around as long or had as many
boats go around the world.
The hull is bomb proof it's all in the owner finish. What skill level
did he have?
There are still unfinished projects around some for a great price and
others well lets just say RUN away.
I have sailed on a cascade36 alot and liked that boat.
Read Jim Moores books. Based on a Cascade36.

On 29 Jan 2007 18:32:04 -0800, wrote:

[...]

Hey thanks for the info. The story on this one is that the previous
owners bought it in LA and attempted to sail it to Seattle. The got as
far as San Fransisco decided that blue water sailing ws not for them.
It has sat 2 years at the boat movers yard and he took it for payment.
Foreclosed whatever. It sat open part of that time and is full of
mildew. The engine is just rebuilt I got a good report from the
surveyor today. This one also has teak toe rails and I also wish it
had aluminum.

Would love to see your boat

Ironhorse wrote:

[...]

Ironhorse, Where in Western Oregon do you live? We trailer sail an
Irwin 28 out of Boise,ID. When we first started sailing (learn to sail
course in Canada) we saw a Cascade 42. Nice boat. We called Cascade
Yachts when we were looking for a boat but the Irwin was a better deal
for us. It came out of Michigan. Jim

Cataina 30 Vs. Cascade 29 David ASA 6 March 30th 06 04:43 AM
1980 Cascade 29 David General 2 February 18th 06 05:45 AM
Dagger Cascade C1 for Sale Libbi General 1 January 28th 05 05:47 PM
Dagger Cascade C1 for Sale Libbi General 0 December 9th 03 04:44 PM
Aviation Conspiracy: Blackout Caused Aviation Cascade Failure!!! Bertie the Bunyip ASA 1 August 23rd 03 08:54 AM