Default Sailing videos, San Juans and Desolation Sound

Some nice sailing videos on youtube of the Puget Sound and Desolation
Sound area, with a pair of Orca that swim right under the boat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5EWSEP-JA8 sailing and Orca

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnjLgDt9-XI Refuge Cove and Princess
Louisa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Vyio6q535c Roscoe Bay/Laura Cove

Enjoy

Shame on you. These are secret places. No one is to be told about them.
And you had the audacity to provide their locations.

Thanks - I was in in Refuge Cove, Princess Louisa, Roscoe Bay and Laura
Cove last summer. Great memories during the winter. First trip March 31 to
Desolation and back. Heading for Puget Sound in the latter part of April
for a race.

Jack

Jack Dale
ISPA Yachtmaster Offshore Instructor
CYA Advanced Cruising Instructor
Director, Swiftsure Sailing Academy
http://www.swiftsuresailing.com

wrote in message
ups.com...
Some nice sailing videos on youtube of the Puget Sound and Desolation
Sound area, with a pair of Orca that swim right under the boat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5EWSEP-JA8 sailing and Orca

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnjLgDt9-XI Refuge Cove and Princess
Louisa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Vyio6q535c Roscoe Bay/Laura Cove

Enjoy

We're up that way every summer in July. If you're heading up again
next summer maybe our paths will cross and we can tell some anchoring
stories.

Ray

On Jan 26, 8:47 pm, "Jack Dale" wrote:
Shame on you. These are secret places. No one is to be told about them.
And you had the audacity to provide their locations.

Thanks - I was in in Refuge Cove, Princess Louisa, Roscoe Bay and Laura
Cove last summer. Great memories during the winter. First trip March 31 to
Desolation and back. Heading for Puget Sound in the latter part of April
for a race.

Jack

Jack Dale
ISPA Yachtmaster Offshore Instructor
CYA Advanced Cruising Instructor
Director, Swiftsure Sailing Academyhttp://www.swiftsuresailing.com

wrote in oglegroups.com...

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 19:34:08 -0800, erps wrote:

Some nice sailing videos on youtube of the Puget Sound and Desolation
Sound area, with a pair of Orca that swim right under the boat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5EWSEP-JA8 sailing and Orca

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnjLgDt9-XI Refuge Cove and Princess
Louisa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Vyio6q535c Roscoe Bay/Laura Cove

You're making me homesick!

I've spent the last 7 summers there. With luck next summer too!

Matt O.

In article . com,
says...
Some nice sailing videos on youtube of the Puget Sound and Desolation
Sound area, with a pair of Orca that swim right under the boat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5EWSEP-JA8 sailing and Orca

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnjLgDt9-XI Refuge Cove and Princess
Louisa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Vyio6q535c Roscoe Bay/Laura Cove

Enjoy

Nice videos. However, they might be better titled "Cruising
videos...". They match my experience of cruising in Desolation
Sound last summer: About 80% of the time when you see a sailboat
moving, it is under power. I stuck with chartered sailboats
my first 7 times to the Gulf Islands and Desolation Sound. But the
last few trips have involved chartered trawlers. You get a lot
more cabin space, a better view from the windows, and you don't
need foul weather gear at the helm. Fuel economy isn't a big
issue if you are willing to make your transits at sailboat
speeds (6 knots).

The light and variable (meaning always on your nose) winds of
Desolation Sound make transits under sail a test of patience.
Add in significant tidal currents and some narrow passages,
and a functioning auxilliary engine a must for visitors
in sailboats. I found that out the hard way when the starter
motor on a charter sailboat burned out when we were ready
to lift anchor in Squirrel Cove. Getting to the gov't
dock by the store under sail alone was a good test of
skill. (I passed without any black marks on the boat).

The charter company sent us a replacement boat when
a new starter wasn't readily available. The crew of
college kids took about 6 hours to reach us from
Comox. The return trip (under sail alone until
they reached the Comox Bar) took about 18 hours.
Unfortunately for them, we had transferred all provisions
except one potato and a few overlooked cans of soda!

Mark Borgerson

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 09:22:24 -0800, Mark Borgerson wrote:

[...]

One summer we saw the same Cal 25 with a family aboard, weighing anchor
each morning and setting sail. Every day they'd sail into the same
anchorages as us in our 50' auxiliary, 2-3 hours later because they were
sailing all day, but well in time for dinner. Who's to say they were
having less fun than we were?

Another interesting boat -- a 20-ish foot open boat with a lug-yawl rig,
oars, and about 12 kids aboard. No motor. In the same week, we saw them
in several places, one day becalmed and skinny dipping off the northern
tip of Sonora Island, and just a few hours later, anchored right next to
us in Teakerne Arm.

Desolation is not a large area. Most of the key spots are pretty close
together. This is one reason it's such a great draw. So even if winds
are light you'll make your destination. I've found good sailing almost
every day -- certainly enough to blow you toward your next destination, in
time to putter your way in.

On windier days there's nothing like a spinnaker run down Waddington or
Pryce Channels.

Currents in Desolation Sound itself, and surrounding channels, are
actually not strong at all -- 1kt -- until you get over toward Campbell
River or up north toward Yaculta Rapids.

In July or August, you're very unlikely to have any rain at all. This
general area is the driest place in Canada. I believe Mittelnatch Island
is the actual driest place.

Matt O.