Cheshire

Default Bahamas in January

We are planning a trip of 4 to 6 weeks, beginning in January. I would like
to go through the Abacos first at a leisurely pace and then head down to the
northern Exumas. What is the best route from Marsh or Little Harbor to the
Exumas? The cruising guide suggests that the southern tip of Abaco is a poor
anchorage and also that Eleuthera is a difficult place to navigate, making
me think that I will have to go to Nassau. However, that seems like a long
run.

Any ideas? We are on a two engine trawler and make about 9-10 knots.

Thanks.

George

Armond Perretta

Cheshire wrote:
We are planning a trip of 4 to 6 weeks, beginning in January. I
would like to go through the Abacos first at a leisurely pace and
then head down to the northern Exumas. What is the best route from
Marsh or Little Harbor to the Exumas? The cruising guide suggests
that the southern tip of Abaco is a poor anchorage and also that
Eleuthera is a difficult place to navigate, making me think that I
will have to go to Nassau. However, that seems like a long run.

Many folks prefer to go south first. It gets a little chilly in Abaco in
mid-winter, so the typical route is to cross and head for Exuma or beyond
directly, and then work back through Abaco as spring approaches. You will
have plenty company this way.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat

Doug Dotson

Many folks go to the Exumas first then work their way back north
to the Abacos. Abacos can be pretty windy and cool during January.
We were there at the end of last January and the temps were in the 40s
at night, 60s during the day, with 30 kts breezes when the fronts came
through
"Cheshire" wrote in message
We are planning a trip of 4 to 6 weeks, beginning in January. I would like
to go through the Abacos first at a leisurely pace and then head down to

the
northern Exumas. What is the best route from Marsh or Little Harbor to the
Exumas? The cruising guide suggests that the southern tip of Abaco is a

poor
anchorage and also that Eleuthera is a difficult place to navigate, making
me think that I will have to go to Nassau. However, that seems like a long
run.

Any ideas? We are on a two engine trawler and make about 9-10 knots.

Thanks.

George

Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes "Cheshire" wrote:

We are planning a trip of 4 to 6 weeks, beginning in January. I would like
to go through the Abacos first at a leisurely pace and then head down to the
northern Exumas. What is the best route from Marsh or Little Harbor to the
Exumas? The cruising guide suggests that the southern tip of Abaco is a poor
anchorage and also that Eleuthera is a difficult place to navigate, making
me think that I will have to go to Nassau. However, that seems like a long
run.

Any ideas? We are on a two engine trawler and make about 9-10 knots.

I don't know what your air draft is - can you get under the bridges in
the Lucayan waterway? If so you could go back across the Little
Bahama Banks, through the waterway. From the south side of Grand
Bahama it is an easy trip to the Berry Islands, and then from Chub or
Frazier's Hog Cay it is another easy day trip to Nassau.

I have done Chub to Lucaya, Bimini to Lucaya, Bimini to Chub/Frazier's
Hog Cay, and Frazier's Hog/Bird to Nassau and Coral Harbor (Nassau)
to Chub. Chub to Lucaya took us 15 hours (going west of the Berry
Islands), and Bimini to Frazier's Hog took us 2 days+, but we are a
one engine sailboat that makes about 5 knots unless we are sailing in
a good brisk wind.

grandma Rosalie
Craig

leave Little harbor at 7am and go to Spanish Wells a 48 mile run
....You will have good light to navigate through the reefs when you get
there..Pick up a mooring there and enjoy dinner at your choice of good
diners less than 500 feet from your mooring...I do it all the time...

Subject: Bahamas in January
From: "Cheshire"

We are planning a trip of 4 to 6 weeks, beginning in January. I would like
to go through the Abacos first at a leisurely pace and then head down to the
northern Exumas. What is the best route from Marsh or Little Harbor to the
Exumas?

The answer to that question is weather dependent of course.

The cruising guide suggests that the southern tip of Abaco is a poor
anchorage

The very southern tip perhaps but you can anchor in and around the Litte
Harbour, Laynyard Cay area and wait out must any weather before shooting over
to Eleuthera. (50nm to Egg Island)
Then stop in Spanish Wells for fuel and provisions before heading to the
Exumas.
40-45 nm from Spanish Wells to Beacon Cay the top of the Exumas.

and also that Eleuthera is a difficult place to navigate,

The only spot that's in any way difficult would be the route to Harbour Island
and if you don't want to navigate it yourself just hire a guide at Spanish
Wells. Besides, if your heading to the Exumas there is no reason to go to
Harbour Island any way.

We are on a two engine trawler and make about 9-10 knots.

The above is the way we did it this summer in the same type vessel.

And I would allocate at least as much time in the Exumas as in the Abacos.

Capt. Bill

RWKxxx

I sincerely hope no one is going to the Bahamas by boat until they reduce that
ridiculous $300 charge for checking in.
RWKxxx

It is $300 for my size boat but fail to see what differance it makes. The new
fee is out of line and the best way to call attention to it is to stay way.

If you're going to whine at least get your facts straight. It's $150 for
boats
under 35 feet and $300 for boats over 35 feet.

Capt. Bill

Cheshire

I have read the numerous complaints about this fee (including yours, I
believe), and I am sympathetic with your feelings. The fee is too high.
However, I have always wanted to make this trip, and given that I am willing
to take such an expensive trip in the first place, and since I expect to be
there for about six weeks, I intend to pay the $300 fee and go ahead with my
plans to make what will be a trip of a lifetime for me.

By the way, you made your point already.

George C.