Cheshire

Default Bicycles and Beer in the Bahamas

Couple of questions. First, regarding beer. Is there a limit on how much
beer one can bring along? I read about a one quart spirits and wine limit,
but I don't know about beer, which is apparently quite expensive in the
Bahamas.

About bicycles ... I read that you have to pay a customs fee, register the
bicycles, and obtain local insurance on them. Does anyone know how
expensive, difficult and time consuming it is to accomplish?

Someone told me to leave bicycles stowed aboard, and there should be no
problem (other than not being able to use them.) Is that true? How often do
the customs/immigrations officers inspect boats checking in?

Thanks. - George

Armond Perretta

Cheshire wrote:
Couple of questions. First, regarding beer. Is there a limit on how
much beer one can bring along?

Bring enough to trade for lobsters, and no more. Most folks learn
to like Bahamian beer soon enough.

About bicycles ... I read that you have to pay a customs fee,
register the bicycles, and obtain local insurance on them. Does
anyone know how expensive, difficult and time consuming it is to
accomplish?

Someone told me to leave bicycles stowed aboard, and there should
be no problem (other than not being able to use them.) Is that
true? How often do the customs/immigrations officers inspect boats
checking in?

I am not up to date on recent changes except to note that costs are on the
rise. Regarding bikes, except in Nassau and parts of Abaco, bicycles aren't
too helpful ( and I _like_ bikes). I have found that many roads in the
family islands are often so rough that bikes become just too much trouble to
cart ashore and un-fold.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat

Doug Dotson

Beer is $35/case for Kalik (Bahamian beer) most other beers I
saw (Heiniken & Miller Lite) were $45. Most of the folks we cruised
with brought about 10 cases for personal consumption. Trading things
like food or beer is technically illegal... We brought folding bikes and
the only time I used them was at Treasure Cay and that was only because
we had them. Never found much use for them during the entire trip.
Used them once in St. Augustine and in Fernandina but could have just as
easily walked or used a courtesy car. We probably won't take them
next time. Customs guy wasn't much interested in them when we cleared
in. Was very interested in the cat and firearms.

Doug

"Armond Perretta" wrote in message
Cheshire wrote:
[...]

Armond Perretta

Doug Dotson wrote:
... Trading things like food or beer is technically illegal ...

Hi Doug, long time, etc. Can you give more details on this? The only time
I've seen this practice specifically prohibited was in Cuba.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat

Doug Dotson

I read it in one of the guidebooks. Not sure which one as I read many
prior to our departure. Might have been Skipper Bob. I'll poke around.
I seem to recall it is illegal to bring anything into the Bahamas and sell
it
even if that is to swap a can of beans for a can of corn.

Doug Dotson wrote:
... Trading things like food or beer is technically illegal ...

Hi Doug, long time, etc. Can you give more details on this? The only

time
I've seen this practice specifically prohibited was in Cuba.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat
http://kerrydeare.tripod.com

Doug Dotson

Armond,

The reference I was remembering is in Skipper Bob's Bahamas Bound 2002
on page 35 under the heading of "Ship's Stores and Customs". Here is the
exact wording:

Anything you carry on your vessel is considered "ships stores". You are
not required to pay any customs duty on any ships stores. However, ships
stores
are intended to be consumed on your vessel. You are not legally allowed to
sell, trade, or barter your ships stores with anyone unless you first pay
duty
on these items. It is true that cruisers often "share" their wealth with
fellow
cruisers on an occasion have a potluck dinner and provide that important
can of kidney beans for someone else's chilli. These innocent
transgressions
tend to be overlooked. However, do not think you can carry a large
quantity
of one item over there and sell it at a profit. If you get caught the
penalty is severe
up to and including seizure of your vessel.

Swapping beer for lobsters with the locals may technically violate this.

Doug Dotson wrote:
... Trading things like food or beer is technically illegal ...

Hi Doug, long time, etc. Can you give more details on this? The only

time
I've seen this practice specifically prohibited was in Cuba.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat
http://kerrydeare.tripod.com

Dionysus Feldman

Doug--

[Customs] Was very interested in the cat and firearms.

df--
If I had a cat and a firearm... I wouldn't have a cat.

Can you bring firearms to the Bahamas, like a pump or double shotgun?
LaBomba182

Subject: Bicycles and Beer in the Bahamas
From: "Armond Perretta"

Bring enough to trade for lobsters, and no more. Most folks learn
to like Bahamian beer soon enough.

Not at $35 to $50 a case. Bring all you can. Use Bud for trading.

I have found that many roads in the
family islands are often so rough that bikes become just too much trouble to
cart ashore and un-fold.

True. You need a real moutain bike. Or better yet, a bike with a small motor on
it.

Capt. Bill
Rosalie B.

"Cheshire" wrote:

Couple of questions. First, regarding beer. Is there a limit on how much
beer one can bring along? I read about a one quart spirits and wine limit,
but I don't know about beer, which is apparently quite expensive in the
Bahamas.

About bicycles ... I read that you have to pay a customs fee, register the
bicycles, and obtain local insurance on them. Does anyone know how
expensive, difficult and time consuming it is to accomplish?

They don't ask about bikes, and we didn't tell them. THey want to know
about dinghys and dinghy motors. (I understand a dinghy over about 15-17
feet is charged the $150 fee like any boat under 35 feet.)

OTOH the bikes are supposed to be licensed and have lights. Most Bahamian
bikes are not licensed and don't have lights etc. We didn't use the bikes
as most of the time we could walk places (even me) and it wasn't worth the
hassle. And on the larger islands like Nassau and Grand Bahama it was just
so much easier to just take the jitney bus. I don't know about the customs
and insurance stuff.

Someone told me to leave bicycles stowed aboard, and there should be no
problem (other than not being able to use them.) Is that true? How often do
the customs/immigrations officers inspect boats checking in?

I've never had Bahamian customs inspect us, and I think it rarely happens
unless you **** off the inspector.

I understand that sometimes people buy a local bike and then sell it back
when they leave.

grandma Rosalie