Default Voyager self steering Windvane Opinion wanted

I am interested in a Voyager Windvane for self steering. If you know about
this model, or product or have one??

Could you take a minute and give your opinion.

krj krj is offline

NE Sailboat wrote:
I am interested in a Voyager Windvane for self steering. If you know about
this model, or product or have one??

Could you take a minute and give your opinion.

Self steering windvanes are only used by people with nice boats that
want to sail around the world single handed

Self steering windvanes are only used by people with nice boats that
want to sail around the world single handed

Not exactly true---self steering is used by anyone who does not want to
be slave to the wheel. It is a good alternative to electronic
autopilots that use energy and are subject to malfunction.

Peter
s/v Now or Never!

In krj writes:

NE Sailboat wrote:
I am interested in a Voyager Windvane for self steering. If you know about
this model, or product or have one??

Could you take a minute and give your opinion.

Self steering windvanes are only used by people with nice boats that
want to sail around the world single handed

This is a very misleading and ignorant comment.

- Lauri Tarkkonen

Lauri,,, don't let them get to ya. They are mad at me for posting my "opinion". Of course ,, that is why we are here I thought.

Hey,, anyway.. Have you ever used, seen or know anything about the Voyager Windvane self steerer?

It is a very basic approach. I really like it. The price, while not cheap is much better than some of the other self steering Windvanes I have looked at.

It is a servo pendulum type self-steering. The steering force is created by the flow of water. That energy is transmitted by the pendulum rudder and the lever arm to the wheel or tiller by means of two lines.

I have a tiller so when I so this .. I got to thinking .. ONe owner of the vane sailed the Atlantic and he raved about it. He also recommended it for coastal sailing. Said, once you use this you won't want to go without it.

======

"Lauri Tarkkonen" wrote in message ...
In krj writes:

NE Sailboat wrote:
I am interested in a Voyager Windvane for self steering. If you know about
this model, or product or have one??

Could you take a minute and give your opinion.

Self steering windvanes are only used by people with nice boats that
want to sail around the world single handed

This is a very misleading and ignorant comment.

- Lauri Tarkkonen

There is a good guide worth downloading here

http://www.windpilot.com/

click on the link that says self steering under sail, 7.4mb pdf file. Its
well written, independantly and gives a good overview of general types of
windvanes (horizontal versus vertical etc) and specific comparisons and pros
and cons as well as the evolution of different manufacturers. It has some
info on autopilots as well, but it should give you a bit of an overview.
The consensus seems to be that a windvane and an autopilot each have their
purposes, but for longer ocean voyages on anything less than a modern
ultralight mega racing yacht, you'll probably use the windvane most of the
time. Most boats would do well to have both if you have the space and the
budget.

For myself (thunderbird 26, mostly coastal single handed cruising or with
one other person) a windvane is what im aiming for.

There is some other good info on self made windvanes at these addresses

http://netti.nic.fi/~poltsi/
http://www.mindspring.com/~waltmur/Self-Steering/
http://www.jsward.com/steering/
http://www.backyardpublisher.com/sub4.htm

these are worth a read even if you arent going to build one yourself (id
reccomend not building one yourself!!!) they can at least give you some
understanding of the advantages and problems inherent.

Shaun