Default Electrifying a little outboard

I have this 1991 Yamaha 4MLHP four horse outboard, and browsing through
Yamaha's parts catalogs, I see that there's an optional lighting coil
available for pre 88 models and post 93 models of the same motor. Don't know
why it skips the ones in between. Looking down through the holes in the
rotor, it appears that mine has the mounting pads for the coil. Anybody know
any reason why I couldn't buy a 94 coil, stick it in my 91, add a
rectifier/regulator, and run some nav lights off it, maybe slow charge a
battery? How much current should I expect to get out of it? Couple of amps?

In article ,
"Ernest Scribbler" wrote:

I have this 1991 Yamaha 4MLHP four horse outboard, and browsing through
Yamaha's parts catalogs, I see that there's an optional lighting coil
available for pre 88 models and post 93 models of the same motor. Don't know
why it skips the ones in between. Looking down through the holes in the
rotor, it appears that mine has the mounting pads for the coil. Anybody know
any reason why I couldn't buy a 94 coil, stick it in my 91, add a
rectifier/regulator, and run some nav lights off it, maybe slow charge a
battery? How much current should I expect to get out of it? Couple of amps?

Careful, that "lighting coil" may not be rectified. Good enough for
lights, but not for charging.

--
Jere Lull

"Jere Lull" wrote
Careful, that "lighting coil" may not be rectified. Good enough for
lights, but not for charging.

I'm sure it isn't, that's why I mentioned adding a rectifier/regulator. I
was thinking of maybe one of the generic ATV/off road types like this:
http://www.parkeryamaha.com/index.as...D&ProdID=31675

In article ,
"Ernest Scribbler" wrote:

"Jere Lull" wrote
Careful, that "lighting coil" may not be rectified. Good enough for
lights, but not for charging.

I'm sure it isn't, that's why I mentioned adding a rectifier/regulator. I
was thinking of maybe one of the generic ATV/off road types like this:
http://www.parkeryamaha.com/index.as...D&ProdID=31675

Missed that part, but there's not much charging going to happen. Even
the 10 HP outboards rarely put out enough to make much difference, and I
believe you said 4 HP.

Frankly, our 55 amp "automotive" alternator won't fully charge the bank;
maybe 20-25 AH in the first hour into a 120 AH battery.

That's why I am happier with solar. After it charges for 3-4 days, the
battery's at full charge, then it supplies enough that we rarely need to
use the engine except for moving for 3-5 days.

--
Jere Lull

"Jere Lull" wrote
Missed that part, but there's not much charging going to happen. Even
the 10 HP outboards rarely put out enough to make much difference, and I
believe you said 4 HP.

I have a small boat that will operate in the very protected waters of the
Kanawha River and the only electrical load onboard at this time is the
lights. I'm just looking to put back what they take out, three lamps at
about 600mA apiece. I figure that all of my after dark time will be spent on
motor power, so if I can get a couple of amps out of the outboard, which
shouldn't take more than about a quarter HP, I can reduce or eliminate the
need for external recharging, and/or maybe go to a smaller and lighter
battery.